Search for content in message boards

Baptist Anderson families - when did they arrive?

Baptist Anderson families - when did they arrive?

Posted: 25 Mar 2014 7:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Anderson, McEwan
Among my ancestors of Glengarry County are many who were Baptists. I am trying to determine if they were part of the 1815 sponsored immigration or came later. Specifics: James Anderson (b. Scotland, c. 1773), his wife Catherine McEwan (b. Scotland, c 1785), and their daughter Catherine (b. Scotland, c 1812) who later married a John Anderson (b. Scotland, c. 1812) are all listed as Baptists in the census of 1851, as are two more who seem to be younger children: John (b. Canada c.1823) and Jenet (b. Canada, c1830). If these assumptions are right then the emigration would have occurred between 1812 and 1823 and given what I've learned about the Baptist immigration from Perthshire, probably between 1815 and 1820, yet I don't see them on the ships lists of 1815.

Can anyone help me find when and from where they came to Glengarry? Is anyone else related to these Andersons?

Re: Baptist Anderson families - when did they arrive?

Posted: 30 Mar 2014 2:10AM GMT
In A Dictionary of Scottish Emigrants there are two recordings on a James Anderson:

#146 ANDERSON, James. Probably from Perthshire. to Glengarry Co. Ont, <1818; settled Lot 12, Con 15, of lands leased from the Iroquois (Crown Lands, 1847). Petitioned the Lt. Governor for relief, 1821.

#147ANDERSON, James. Probably from Perthshire. to Glengarry Co. Ont, <1818; settled Lot 11-12, Con 16, of lands leased from the Iroquois (Crown Lands, 1847). Petitioned the Lt. Governor for relief, 1821.

Tal

Posted: 30 Mar 2014 2:34AM GMT
In The Scottish Pioneers of Upper Canada there is a James Anderson in the index showing Page 30 There is no mention of him on Page 30 but on the next page there is the following:

...but even so, by 1807 he claimed the 50 -60 Gaelic speaking settlers were on their way to his settlements. It would appear that such numbers actually did arrive in Montreal, but they came two years later. Originating from Perthshire, some 60 people left Dundee in 1809 with 20 bagpipes and as many fiddles (79) The reference 79 shows the following: The Quebec Gazette, July 6, 1809 recorded the arrival of the Albion (Master R. Kidd) from Dundee with 60 passengers.

Tal

Posted: 31 Mar 2014 4:12PM GMT
Thank you! This fits well with what I expected to find. I really have to get my hands on Whyte's book. Hard to find the Canada one in the U.S.

Posted: 31 Mar 2014 5:56PM GMT
If you wanted to give me your email address I have some more info on a Word Doc that this site will not accept.

Tal

Posted: 31 Mar 2014 7:09PM GMT
Sure, thanks!

drholly@email.com
Holly McIntyre
per page

Find a board about a specific topic