Search for content in message boards

Native American, Mary Johnson in South Carolina

Native American, Mary Johnson in South Carolina

sandizee (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jul 2000 7:55AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Oct 2009 4:07PM GMT
Surnames: johnson
i have been told for years of native american heritage (cherokee-seminole). I am trying to write my family history and i am stuck! I can't find any links. gggrandmother was mary johnson who was said to be a sort of "medicine woman" in sc. if any one has any info please help!

Re: Native American, Mary Johnson in South Carolina - Mary Johnson from Kentucky

debbie (View posts)
Posted: 31 Jul 2000 5:11PM GMT
Edited: 2 Oct 2009 4:08PM GMT
hi just thought it curious you having a great grandmother named mary johnson i do to but i told she was from ky but i am stuck trying to prove it i do know her parents were susan and william johnson the funny thing is my grandfather is where iam having trouble i dont know who his actual father is just his stepfather but have been told that he had an indian heritage very strong as did mary his mother my grandfather had the blackest hair up into his eighties as i was told mary did also long black hair i hope you dont mind my sending you this email the name mary johnson really caught my attention as that is who i am looking for information on thank you for your time i wish you luck thanks again debbie the mary johnson i am researching was born 1869 or 1879 there are two dates listed she was born february 14

Re: Native American, Mary Johnson in South Carolina - Mary Johnson from Kentucky

Christyne S. Richardson (View posts)
Posted: 31 Jul 2000 8:55PM GMT
Edited: 2 Oct 2009 4:09PM GMT
Surnames: johnson, uhlman
Dear Debbie

I have a Mary Johnson somewhere in my ancestry. She was my great-great grandfather's daughter, but that's all I know. It's possible she may have been born 1879, but I don't think the 1869 would fit. Her father's name is Joseph William Johnson and her mother's name is Ada Mary Uhlman. I don't know if that fits with anything you have. Her brother (my great grandfather) was married in Leominster, MA. Don't know if that helps you any.

Regards

Christyne

Re: Native American, Mary Johnson in South Carolina - Mary Johnson b abt 1867

sandi (View posts)
Posted: 1 Aug 2000 6:33PM GMT
Edited: 2 Oct 2009 4:11PM GMT
oh please write any info is helpful. My mary johnson was born abt 1867 and died abt 1936. her husband was w.m. johnson and i'm stuck after that. she died in sc but i don't know where she was born.

Re: Native American, Mary Johnson in South Carolina

bonnie buzzell (View posts)
Posted: 7 Aug 2000 7:07PM GMT
Edited: 2 Oct 2009 4:11PM GMT
my grandmother was cherokee as far as I know. Her name was Rhoda Jane. Had an indian name but? My father was born in Spiro, Okl. in 1988. Any conection?

Re: Native American, Mary Johnson in South Carolina - Newbal Johnson

John Tyler Johnson (View posts)
Posted: 9 Aug 2000 5:25AM GMT
Edited: 2 Oct 2009 4:13PM GMT
Surnames: johnson, durham, carlton
I believe that my Johnson ancesters were native american. I have nothing to show this is true. They have dark black hair and high cheek bones. I believe that my great great grandfather was Newbal Johnson that settled in Cherokee County in South Carolina. Newbal married Elizabeth Durham, whos parents were John Durham Mary Mollie Carlton. Newbal is believed to be born around 1776. Father and mother unknown. If you have any information that could help I would really appreciate it. Sandra Skinner

Posted: 18 Aug 2000 7:47AM GMT
Edited: 2 Oct 2009 4:21PM GMT
I had to reply because my mom was always told that her GGG grandma Johnson was Indian.They were in Indiana,tho. Andrew her father was born in GA or SC in 1792.

Re: Native American, Mary Johnson in South Carolina - Newbal Johnson

Posted: 27 Jul 2003 2:38AM GMT
Edited: 2 Oct 2009 4:17PM GMT
Surnames: johnson, durham
I believe (not sure) that Newbil's parents might be John Johnson, Sr. & Dicey LNU. Newbil's wife, Elizabeth Durham, was sister to Rhoda Durham (my line), Dicey Durham and Rebecca Durham, all daughters of John & Mary Durham.

David

Re: Native American, Mary Johnson in South Carolina - Blanche Johnson Smith born 1910 Indiana

Posted: 14 Sep 2003 9:06PM GMT
Edited: 2 Oct 2009 4:23PM GMT
Surnames: johnson, smith, hammond
I am also looking for for the native american connection to the Johnson side of our family as well as any other information I can find.... My Grandma was Blanche Johnson Smith born in 1910 in Salem Indiana she had one sister Lola Johnson Hammond... their dad was Omer Johnson and E. (can't read the writing) Johnson.... her grandfather was John Johnson...

Omer had a brother named Ray and one named Oral but those were the only ones I remembered from when I was little. any information would be greatly appreciated if this is the family your in.

Posted: 28 Sep 2009 4:34PM GMT
Edited: 2 Oct 2009 4:20PM GMT
Surnames: johnson, webb
Bonnie, I hope you get this...your email I had for you from a Choctaw site doesn't work anymore. We share common ancestors: Rhoda Jane Webb & William Washington Johnson. You dad and my great-grandmother were siblings (Ora Princess & James Luther Johnson). Please contact me if we can compare what we have on our family. I am trying to get more information on our native american heritage, as well as any information on William. I have information on Rhoda I can share, but don't know how much native american she is or what tribe - Choctaw or Cherokee?

Thanks!
mytg06@yahoo.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions