Search for content in message boards

need help establishing native american ancestory

need help establishing native american ancestory

Posted: 7 Jul 2006 1:55AM GMT
I'm helping a friend "prove" that her grandfather was a native american, so she can get a loan/scholarship for college. Where would I look? He was born in 1904 in Brown county.
Thank you,
Lisa

Re: need help establishing native american ancestory

Posted: 8 Jul 2006 9:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Living in Brown County, proves nothing because there were French Canadian, Oneidas, Chippewas, and a number of other tribal members here at the time. For example the Oneidas are a matrilineal tribe, meaning that native blood must come through the mother;s side of the family. The Oneida's don't readily do this procedure because there are large amonts of money that are involved if you are Oneida.

Posted: 9 Jul 2006 5:47PM GMT
So I do I link him to the Oneida tribe? What kind of records, if any, are available? What do you mean they don't do this procedure--you mean they won't help establish ancestory? Because it costs them, or people are making unwarranted claims in order to receive government money and they don't want to waist their time? We're not reaching that far back--it's her grandfather that is in question. This is a completely different area of research to me and I really want to help her. My family has been around a long time, but truely, if her family is Oneida like her mother said, then hers has been around even longer.
Thanks,
Lisa

Posted: 9 Jul 2006 7:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
If your grandfather was Oneida what was his mother's maiden name? Who was his grandmother? What was his wife's maiden name?

The reason I am asking is that these are the things that you have to know or they'll blow you off. The way they'll do this is by telling you that they don't have the name in their records.
They would, however, rather have you come in in person. A small gift of tobacco would make a symbolic gesture to the elders.

Are you in the Brown County area?

Posted: 9 Jul 2006 10:19PM GMT
I don't know if my friend knows the names of his parents--but definitely the name of his wife who would have been her grandmother.
I live in Virginia, so I won't be the one making the trip.
Where do they go--who is the person, agency, tribe official to contact?
Thanks-
Lisa
per page

Find a board about a specific topic