Search for content in message boards

William P. Burrell & family

William P. Burrell & family

Posted: 29 Dec 2003 4:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am trying to see if there are any living heirs or contacts to a William P. Burrell, whom I last find in the 1930 census in Newark, NJ. He was born around 1892, and is married to an Anna M. Burrell (born approx 1902). Their three children at the time were William P. (age 7 in 1930), Julia A. (age 5 in 1930), and Louis S. (age 3 1/2 in 1930). William was of African-American descent and I believe was from Virginia. Any help in me finding any living heirs would be greatly appreciated.

Re: William P. Burrell & family

Posted: 9 Jan 2004 3:55AM GMT
Greg,
What part of Virginia is your family? My Burrell family comes from Richmond County, Va. The Burrell family were also a freed African American family as indicated in Paul Heinegg's book. My Great-Grandmother was a Burrell.

Posted: 9 Jan 2004 1:25PM GMT
The only mention of Virginia is in the 1930 census as his birthplace. I am actually trying to confirm that this was the same William P. Burrell that married a Jeanette Cora Wolfe in Boston as early as 1916. Jeanette died at age 25 in 1919, and I lose track of William in Boston after that point. The 1930 Newark, NJ census entry seems like it could be our guy, so I am trying to locate living relatives. Thanks.

Leslie (nee Burrell) Soloman (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jul 2006 2:29PM GMT
Surnames: Burrell, Snead, DeArmon, Bent
This may be a dead end but here goes, I found out that a descendant of mine (gggrand father) was believed to have been born in VA, don't know when or where in VA. His wife also was believed to have been born in VA. Their names Spotterwood Burrell and Desdemona (nee Pharm) Burrell. Don't know if they were slaves and later freed or were born free. Don't know how many children they had but one child, a son, was named Lawrence Burrell. Lawrence Burrell may have been born in TN. Lawrence Married Emma Elise Davis. They had three children, Adolph Leslie Burrell, Hugh Wendell Burrell and Grace Aileen Burrell. Either Lawrence and Emma later moved to Detroit, MI, Lawrence died early after the move, or he died prior to Emmas relocation to Detroit, I just don't know. Hugh Wendell died in June, 1927, Emma, aka Gam, died in 1958, Adolph Leslie died in 1961 and Grace died in 1982 I think. Hugh Wendell was my paternal grandfather, his youngest son, named after his uncle Adolph, Adolph Leslie Burrell, was my father, he died in 1981.

Posted: 9 Oct 2006 7:10PM GMT
I am a decendant of the Burrell family as well, my GGGG was Martha Burrell. also related to the Overtons.

Posted: 26 Dec 2008 5:49PM GMT
Surnames: Burrell
Willilam P. Burrell was married to Jeannette Wolf. She was a member of the Mashvee tribe and died while William was overseas in WWI. How are you connected to this family?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions