Family name Bowe

Posted: 10 Sep 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 18 Jul 2001 11:04PM GMT

Bowes Family

Mike O'Shea (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bowes, Grogan
My Great-Great Grandmother was Judith Bowe. She married Thomas Grogan in Lisdowney Parish, Ossory Diocese, Kilkenny Co., sometime prior to 1820. Their eldest son John was baptised on May 31 of 1821. Thomas and Judith immigrated to Canada about 1822 and to Ohio, USA during 1830. They lived in the Straitsville area opf Perry County for the remainder of their lives. Michael Bowe and John Bowe, two of Judith's brothers, and their families also lived in Ohio during the 1850's and 1860's.
I have transcribed the Church records from Lisdowney Parish in Kilkenny Co. regarding all Bowe/Bows/Bowes families with their children that are available a total of 16 pages. I have a Patt Bowe and Judy Mahar with family, Patt Bowe and Kitty Ryan and family, Pat Bowe and Amy Lanahan and Pat Bowe and Mary Brophy, Patrick Bowe and Peggy Mority, Patt Bowe and Anty Dooly, Patt Bowe and Judith Costigan and family. There were also a few Bowe families located in Galmoy Parish., but no Patrick. There is little doubt in my mind that all the Bowe families I have listed are related to each other since they all lived in the area of Ballyconra and Coolcashin townlands or the general area.
If any of this is of interest to you I am more than willing to send you copies of all the data I have.

Mike O'Shea
9101 Mace Arch
Norfolk, Virginia 23503
USA

Bowe Family Kilkenny

Cheryl Crimmins (View posts)
Posted: 3 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: William Bowe

Kilkenny, Ireland my g g grandfather William Bowe came
for Kilkenny or Wexford County... went to Novia Scotia
settle there around 1815-1818 had 19 Bowe children
who went o the USA around 1850's settled in Ma, and as
far south a Augusta, Geo. Need any information of William
father Michael and mother Ann Christopher Carroll Bowe
in Kilkenny, Ireland around 1795 - 1850's or so. If you have
any infor on the Bowe's in Kilkenny please e-mail me
Posted: 27 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Bowe, Roche, Anderson, Shannon
Looking for any information concerning these family names,Bowe, Anderson, Shannon, Roche mainly Bowe, but any other information would be great. About the 1820 and backwards from there.

Patrick Bowe Abt1823 married Jan Anderson Abt 1828, married abt 1848, kilkenny ireland and born there? there son Patrick (Jnr) Bowe Abt 1849 ( married 15.1.1874) Bridget Shannon Abt 1833 Thomas Shannon Abt 1807 married Catherine Roche Abt 1812, married Abt 1832,Mullabone, ireland, and born there?

All are my great great grand parents.

thankyou in advance.
Gerard Bowe

family tree

diane bowe (View posts)
Posted: 19 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: bowe
I am interested in the Bowe family from Kilkenny area of Ireland - does anyone have information as to whether any of this family came to Newfoundland in the middle 1800's - my husband has records from the 1871 census in that province but we haven't been able to go back any further - interestingly his father's first name was Roache and there seems to be marriage of some Bowe family member to a Roche - ? mix up in spelling??Thanks for any info. Diane Bowe

bowe family

Posted: 2 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Bowe, Roche
Email me and i maybe able to help you in your search.

Grogan Family

Pat Malone (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Grogan
I have a John Grogan that was born in Kilkenny, Ireland,from the early 1800's. He had a son James H. born 12-25-1851 in Kilkenny as well. If this is the John that you are looking for, I would appreciate any information that you could provide regarding John, his family and parents. As John is my gr/gr/gr grandfather. Thank you for any help that you can provide.

Grogan Family

Mike O'Shea (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Grogan
Hello Pat,
My records have a John GROGAN married on October 9, 1852 to Biddy DUNPHY, probably Bridget, with a son John born on December 27, 1851. It's very possible that I have mistranscribed the date for the marriage, but don't believe I did. Its possible that both dates are correct since I'm sure children were born before parents married even then. I will double check my transcription just to make sure. The family resided in Ballyring, Lisdowney Parish in Co. Kilkenny. Although it may not be connected, somehow I think this John is the son of Patt Grogan and Catherine Fitzpatrick of Ballygoony, same parish. They had a son John baptised on June 24, 1823.
The Grogan family in Kilkenny was very small and seem to have all been located in the same area. The number I was transcribed started out with a John Grogan of Coolcashin and Amable Fitzpatrick of Clontubrid married on Feb 9, 1774. It's possible they are the parents of the both Patt and my Thomas who was born in 1796. Both men named their first son John. If my assumptions are anywhere near good then John Grogan who married Biddy Dunphy is a nephew of my Thomas.
The family story goes that four Grogan brother arrived in Newfoundland shook hands and departed. They never saw each other again. They arrived in November 1823, so it is doubtful that your John, a generation younger, would have been one of them. In any case I feel that the John and Bridget above are probably the ones you are looking for. Let me know if any of this fits. Sorry for taking so long to answer, it's been a very busy summer so far. But I will be better at future correspondence.

Mike

Posted: 13 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Bowe
Email me if you would like to exchange family history information?

O'Neill, Reid, Bowe of Jerpointchurch

Posted: 9 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jul 2003 11:14AM GMT
Surnames: O'Neill, Power, Reid, Bowe, Lea, Lavion
I found your interest in this surname on the Genconnect website. I have an interest also as this surname has cropped up in my research on a maternal line. My main surname interests in Kilkenny are O'NEILL,POWER and REID.Do you have a Margaret BOWE with connection to a REID (sp?) family of Kilkenny? I have found a gravemarker at Jerpoint Abbey, Jerpointchurch, Thomastown, Kilkenny, Ireland with this information on it:
Erected by Mollie REID of Manchester
In Loving Memory
of her mother Margaret REID of Mullinavat (a community just south of Jerpoint)
her father James REID
her sisters Sarah Anne REID, Margaret LEA nee REID, Catherine LAVION nee REID
and her aunt
Margaret BOWE
Rest in Peace

The grave marker is not dated, but very weathered. This is, I believe, my ancestor Mollie Reid O'Neill, who married Thomas O'Neill of the same area. His family is documented; hers is not. That is why I am pursuing the Margaret Bowe who must have been a Reid, sister to the above James, before her marriage to a Bowe. The O'Neill family immigrated to Charleston, SC following their brother, Patrick O'Neill, about 1840, when he came to Charleston to serve at St. Patrick's Catholic Church (1838 -1865). As you may know, Charleston is no far from Augusta, GA. What do you think? Any possibilities?

Julie O'Neil Perkins
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions