Search for content in message boards

James M. & Rachel Ritchey

James M. & Rachel Ritchey

Posted: 6 Feb 2004 6:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
I haven't had a chance this last year to work on my family line but I would like to start back up again. I am trying to track down more information on this line, so far I have James M. Ritchey b 1810 m Rachel in 1828, their children are: John B. Ritchey 1829, F. Simpson 1830, Mary 1832, Maria 1834, Francis Adams 1836, William J. 1839, Jane 1840, Alice Annette 1843, Taylor 1846. I have some information but not very much, every little bit helps. Have a wonderful day.

Re: James M. & Rachel Ritchey

Joyce Ritchey (View posts)
Posted: 21 Oct 2004 1:14PM GMT
Lori,

I have found out that Rachel's maiden name was Thornhill...Her parents were Rueben Thornhill and Mary (Polly) Gray...Rachel was born 1810 St. Charles Co., MO...

Joyce

Bernadine Randall (View posts)
Posted: 24 Oct 2004 2:11PM GMT
Surnames: Apprill,Brazier,Bledsoe,Glatz,Locke,Ritchey
Is your James M. Ritchey the son of Stephen Arnold Ritchey and Mary Martha Crawford?
we could be related.

Joyce Ritchey (View posts)
Posted: 24 Oct 2004 3:14PM GMT
I do not know who the parents of James M. Ritchey are...All I know is that his parents were born in Virginia...James was born 1810 in Tennessee...

I know that Stephen Arnold had a son named James M. also born 1810, but in Kentucky...

I do believe, though, that these two familiea are related some way, because the Stephen Arnold Ritchey family, and the James M. Ritchey family were both living in Franklin Co., Missouri on the 1850 Census...

But, my James M. Ritchey married Rachel Thornhill in 1828 in Missouir, and had children...
(1) John B. Ritchey, b. 1829, St. Charles Co., Missouri, md. Amanda Reed
(2) F. Simpson, b. 1830, St. Charles Co., Missouri, md. Rhoda Green
(3) Mary Ritchey, b. 1832, Randolph Co., Arkansas
(4) Maria Ritchey, b. 1834, Randolph Co., Arkansas
(5) Francis Adams Ritchey (Also known as James) b.,17 Oct 1836, Randolph Co., Arkansas, md. (1) Elizabeth Brown (2) Mary Ann Watson (3) Eliza Jane Calloway
(6) William Jarrett Ritchey, b. 18 Feb 1839, Randolph Co., Arkansas, md. Alpha Paulina Whitsett
(7) Jane Ritchey, b. 1840, Randolph Co., Arkansas
(8) Alice Annette Ritchey, b. 1843, Randolph Co., Arkansas, md., Martin V. Potts
(9) Taylor Ritchey, b. 26 Mar 1846, Randolph Co., Arkansas, md., (1) Nancy S. Brooks (2) Sarah Ann Delong (3) Nancy Jane Hawkins

I wish I could find the connection between these two families...James M. Ritchey has to fit in there somehow...

Posted: 4 Feb 2011 9:27PM GMT
Surnames: Ritchey, Young, Watson
Joyce,
I am direct desendant of James M Ritchey. His granddaughter, Rachel Jane Ritchey married my Grandfather, Monroe Young. James also was at my gggrandfathers wedding to Edna Thornhill. Would love to learn more. Thanks, Guy

Posted: 13 Mar 2011 9:50PM GMT
Surnames: Ritchey, Simpson, Wehrman, Cass, Briggs
1. James M. Ritchey is my GGG Grandfather.
2. F. Simpson Ritchey b. 1830
3. Rachel Elizabeth Ritchey Wehrman b. 1853
4. Nellie Lou Wehrman Cass b. 1883
5. Myrtle Bessie Cass Briggs b. 1904
6. Living – Larry L. Briggs b. 1938

Here is some additional information for those who have not yet discovered it.

John Ritchey is James M. Ritchey’s father.

John Ritchey who passed away in 1814 at Gallatin, Illinois, had probate records giving me enough information to trace this John (b. abt 1775-d. 1814) forward and he is in fact my (Larry Briggs) GGGG Grandfather.

Those records, along with other information showed his wife was Mary (Polly) maiden name unknown. She married Benjamin Jolly right after John’s death. She died 19 May 1851, her burial information = Find A Grave Memorial# 30634033 Mary A. Jolly. John and Mary’s children were = Margaret Ritchey 1795 – , Francis Adam Ritchey 1796 – 1888, Wylie Simpson Ritchey 1798 – 1871, John B Ritchey 1800 –, Samuel M. Ritchey 1808 – 1880, James M Ritchey 1810 – 1882.

The court records did not reveal any information about family ties or past history.

These are excerpts about the estate of John Ritchey:
John Ritchey's probate packet begins in 1814 and continues into 1827. It includes small scraps of paper naming amount of money each child receives. The children were John B., Samuel, Wylie Simpson, Francis Adam, and James M. It also included payment for schooling for the boys, guardianship records and the estate sale.
Dec 26, 1814 John Ritchey Deceased Administrator Polly (Mary) Ritchey $600 by Page Proctor and William Wheeler.

Page 51 of part 2
July 26, 1814 John Ritchie decd, admx. Polly Ritchie, $600 by Page Proctor & William Wheeler.

Page 52 of part 2
Sept. 20, 1814 cont: John Black, William Wheeler and William Gordon appraisers of John Ritchie estate.

Page 55 of part 2
Jan. 1816 Francis Adams Ritchie and Willie Simpson Ritchie came into court, and made voluntary choice of Lewis Kuykendall as their guardian. Bond by John Lane.

Received of Benjamin Jolly $39.75 in part of Francis Adam Ritchey's estate left him by his father. April 4, 1816 Signed Lewis Kuykendall guardian of F. A. Ritchey.

I have been working on a probable father and mother for John Ritchey d. 1814. I have not succeeded as of yet. The subject has been:

James Ritchey Sr.
B: abt 1748 or 1752 in Antrim, Ireland
m. abt 1773 to Elizabeth Mary Simpson b: abt 1753
D. Nov 1821 in Helena, Phillips, Arkansas, United States

James Ritchey Sr. married Elizabeth Mary Simpson b: abt 1753 in Antrim, Ireland. James and Elizabeth had a son John Ritchey.

What I cannot specifically do is tie John Ritchey b. abt 1775, d.1814, Gallatin, IL., to being the son named John that was born to James Ritchey Sr. and Elizabeth Mary (Simpson) Ritchey.

I have found probable ties for my John in South Carolina, Kentucky, Arkansas, and of course, Illinois. Also the Simpson surname from Elizabeth Mary Simpson b: abt 1753 in Antrim, Ireland, married James Ritchey Sr., was used time and time again for my John’s sons and their sons first and middle names. In addition the family first names of Adam, James and William appear frequently. The father of James Ritchey Sr., b. abt 1748 or 1752 in Antrim, Ireland is Adam Ritchey, 1725-1804

In addition I have studied the Probate and Title Record Microfilm’s of the Court Record Books of the1820’s for Phillips County, Arkansas showing Information about James Ritchey Sr’s Probate, of which his son William Ritchey was the administrator.

I have researched this possible tie for a lot of hours and would love to solve the mystery!

Larry Briggs

larrystude@aol.com

Posted: 14 Mar 2011 2:48AM GMT
Great info, thank you. I have pictures of Francis Adam Ritchey and 2nd wife, Mary Ann Watson. Parents of my grandmother Rachel Jane Ritchey Young.

Have any pictures of Ritchey family ?

Thanks Guy Young

Posted: 2 Mar 2012 8:49PM GMT
James M Ritchey is my GGGF also. Have you been able to determine if the RITCHEY spelling is correct? Many of the (census) records have I located have it RICHIE

Don Ritchey
Fenton, MO

Posted: 3 Mar 2012 5:17PM GMT
Surnames: Ritchey
sorry for the late reply. I must have missed this post reminder. The only photos i have is what i have picked up from other Ancestory trees.
Nice to to hear from you.
Larry Briggs
Topeka, Kansas

Posted: 1 Jun 2012 11:58PM GMT
I'm pretty sure this is the correct spelling..I have documents where James M. Ritchey signed his name{Ritchey}. The censuses have the Ritchey name spelled many different ways..

Joyce Ritchey
St. Clair, MO
per page

Find a board about a specific topic