Search for content in message boards

Can't Open File!

Can't Open File!

Posted: 10 May 2009 3:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi there, hope someone can help!! Since February I have taken over the family computer when I started on my family tree - yes I'm addicted!! So much so, my husband's bought me my own laptop!! He also got me Family Tree Maker 2009 software which I've just loaded.

I then tried to export my tree from ancestry uk to my new software. I've saved the gedcom file onto my laptop as instructed but I can't open it and I'm getting a black screen with a message saying "Adobe Reader could not open it because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (eg it was sent as email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded)".

I had this problem on our old family pc when I tried to download and open a file from Family Search Org.

I think its because its not opened as a pdf file but then can a gedcom file be opened as a pdf file?? And, if so, how do I do it?? As I say, this is a new laptop using windows vista......please help, I'm having withdrawal symptoms!!!!! Julie

Re: Can't Open File!

Posted: 10 May 2009 11:10PM GMT
Julie,

Were you doing your research and was your Family File on Ancestry.co.uk?

If you downloaded the GEDCOM file, it should have had a .GED file extension on the filename. Don't know why Adobe would show up when trying to open a GEDCOM file.

From within Family Tree Maker, did you try to Import that GEDCOM file from the Plan page?

Russ

Posted: 11 May 2009 4:09PM GMT
Hi Russ, thanks for taking the time to reply. Panic over...my son went into the new software and opened it from there. Doesn't explain why some downloads are not opening as a PDF file- ie black screen - but anyway I've got my tree.

Must admit though, the family tree 09 software all looks a bit daunting and confusing to use!!!

Julie

Posted: 11 May 2009 6:52PM GMT
Julia,

Can't help you with the download of PDF files. As long as you have Adobe Reader on your PC, you should be able to open a PDF file. (Nothing to do with Family Tree Maker).

I would take the time to read the tutorial on Version 2009.

Your Family Tree Maker 2009 software also includes:
• Training Tutorial for Family Tree Maker 2009 (included on Family Tree Maker disk)
• Getting Started Guide (included on Family Tree Maker disk)

Russ

Posted: 11 May 2009 8:44PM GMT
Once again Russ, thanks for the time and the advice. I suppose I've just been used to the basics on the ancestry website......its just going to take some time. Many thanks, Julie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions