Search for content in message boards

Cemetery location for Thomas T Broyles d 1922?

Cemetery location for Thomas T Broyles d 1922?

Posted: 10 Oct 2012 11:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Broyles, Taliaferro
I am researching the line of Thomas Taliaferro Broyles, who lived in both Embreeville and "Jonesboro" and died Dec 8, 1922 (in Jonesborough, best I can tell).

Unfortunately, the death cert leaves the section "place of burial" blank, and box for undertaker simply states, "None."

I would like to find his place of burial, if possible. If anyone here knows of local indexes of cemeteries, I'd appreciate any help. (He's not listed in Find a Grave, by the way.)

Thanks in advance for any direction on this!

Re: Cemetery location for Thomas T Broyles d 1922?

Posted: 11 Oct 2012 11:30AM GMT
Have you searched the lists on the Washington County TNGen Web Site?

http://www.tngenweb.org/washington/cemetery/cemetery.htm

Posted: 11 Oct 2012 5:23PM GMT
I've already seen that site--and the cemetery page is a great resource--but I've searched the site (using the Google site search box at the top of the site home page) and I'm not coming up with anything for Thomas Taliaferro BROYLES.

My main problem is that the death cert has a blank spot where the undertaker and cemetery are supposed to be listed. I have no idea which link on your page to click to begin searching. I was just hoping there was another resource which would be of help--or someone who knows the area who could point me to the largest or most likely cemetery in the area for burials at that time (1920s).

Thanks for the link.

Posted: 11 Oct 2012 11:29PM GMT
I maintain a rather large database of those buried in Sullivan and Washington Counties. Our survey team doesn't have all the cemeteries in our list, but we do have around 250 of the Washington County Cemeteries. I checked the database and didn't find your Thomas. Do you know where his wife/family are buried?

Posted: 12 Oct 2012 2:02AM GMT
Donna, thanks so much for checking that. It seemed a little overwhelming, thinking of clicking each of those cemeteries and having to look through each one's list.

Thomas's first wife, Mary, died (I think due to childbirth comlications) quite a bit before him, in 1877, so I know it would be harder to find her than Thomas. My records show both of them died in "Jonesboro" (as the family records said back then), but they did live in Embreeville for a while.

Thomas's second wife, Elizabeth (Betty) died in 1924, but I see notes that she passed in S.C., and don't know whether the family returned the body to the Jonesborough area, or buried her in S.C.

Other than a child, Mattie Bradley Broyles, who died in 1886, and an infant son, also Thomas, who died in 1875, the rest of the family were daughters, who married and moved elsewhere...although one daughter moved to nearby Johnson City and died 1976. That daughter was Mary Nellie Broyles Jones (w/o Thomas Jones), but I doubt she would have been buried in the same cemetery as her father (she lived to be 100).

Donna, thanks in advance for your help in checking on this.

Posted: 12 Oct 2012 3:11AM GMT
I checked the transcription for Old Embreeville Cemetery and the Bumpus Cove Cemetery which is in Embreeville also. There are not Broyles listed. Since he was a medical doctor and the son of a medical doctor in SC, I would think they took the body back to SC for burial. Dr. Willis was a doctor for the iron mines in Embreeveille.

Posted: 12 Oct 2012 3:43AM GMT
I found an obituary for Thomas T Broyles, published in The Confederate Veteran in 1923. It's pretty flowery, so I don't know if this will help...but it says, "..his body rests under the cedars of Lebanon churchyard, while below the near-by cliffs the waters of the Nolachucky sing an endless requiem."

Is that just being poetic, or is there such a thing as a Lebanon churchyard somewhere in Washington County? Could that be the name of the cemetery? Or the church, with a different name for the cemetery nearby?

Hoping you'll have some idea what that means...

Thanks so much for all the help figuring this out!

Jacqi

Posted: 13 Oct 2012 3:21AM GMT
Surnames: BROYLES
Jacqi, could you send the entire obituary, and where you found it? Would appreciate the info.

I suspect the "Lebanon churchyard" was the New Lebanon Baptist Church in Greene County, TN (mailing address Greeneville, TN.) The church and cemetery are located at 10160 Horton Highway, Greeneville, TN.

Some references to the church may have it in Chuckey, Greene Co., TN.

Sarge

Posted: 13 Oct 2012 6:09AM GMT
Sure, Sarge, here you go:

The Confederate Veteran, February 1923, page 66:

"Dr. Thomas Taliaferro Broyles died at his home near Jonesboro, Tenn., on December 8, 1922. He was a son of Dr. O. R. Broyles, of Anderson, S. C, and a brother of A. T. and John P. Broyles and Mrs. W. D. Williams, of Greeneville, Tenn., and Mrs. M. C. VanWyck, of Anderson, S. C, whose husband was Dr. Samuel Maverick VanWyck, C. S. A. Thomas Broyles graduated from the University of North Carolina at eighteen years of age, and three days later was in the saddle as a member of Heiskell's Cavalry. He was one of six brothers, two brothers-in-law, and several cousins in the Confederate army, ranking as privates, captains, colonels, and surgeons. Sustained by trust in the righteous cause, the mother at home unceasingly wrestled in prayer and fasting. Comrade Broyles was a conscientious man and soldier. A comrade of the same command wrote to home friends: "Tom won't hear to our being whipped. He is a brave boy, and comes up to time exactly in the hour of danger." His brother Robert wrote to their mother: "I offered him everything I had, even tobacco, when I saw him last, but he would not even breakfast with me." Characteristic of the Confederate soldier! Both Thomas and Robert were present at Lee's surrender.
"After the war, Thomas Broyles graduated in medicine and practiced for many years. He was a man of piety and unusual attainments, and could thrill his listeners with vivid descriptions of great battle scenes in Virginia, the privations and sufferings of war. He was twice married, first to Miss Reney, of Alabama, and his second wife was a daughter of General Harrison, of South Carolina, a distinguished jurist of his time. She survives him with two daughters. At the age of eighty years he answered the reveille from the distant shore, and his body rests under the cedars of Lebanon churchyard, while below the near-by cliffs the waters of the Nolachucky sing an endless requiem."

I have a scanned copy of the article itself posted on my blog--which includes a hyperlink to access the archives where I found the public domain article, if you want to check it out further. The archives copy includes several issues of the Confederate Veteran, with several more such obituaries. You can see my post here: http://afamilytapestry.blogspot.com/2012/10/introducing-doct...

Thanks for your guidance on where the Lebanon churchyard might actually be. I am just delving into the BROYLES family, and I believe Thomas had a sister in Greeneville, so that might make sense to find him buried there. I'll check that out further...

Jacqi

Posted: 13 Oct 2012 2:41PM GMT
Edited: 13 Oct 2012 5:47PM GMT
He might be buried in the Mount Pisgah United Methodist Church Cemetery. There is a couple of years difference in age but we have found that the information on tombstones don't always match some official record.

Volume 1, Page 44: Broyles, Thomas, Sep 23, 1844 - Jan 7 1923

Location: Intersection of Pisgah Road and Stephen Brooks Road. Sometimes referred as "Pisgah"; esablished 1831.

Greene County Genealogical Society, Monuments in Time: Cemetery Records of Green County, Tennessee. The Society, Greeneville, Tennessee, 2007.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions