Search for content in message boards

Civil War in Obion Co.

Civil War in Obion Co.

Posted: 10 Jun 2008 11:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: JACKSON
Is anyone familiar with conditions in Obion County during and immediately following the Civil War?

Were men who served in the Confederate military punished for their actions following the war?
Were their lands confiscated?
Did they have to take an oath of allegiance after the war to get back their citizenship?
Did the area suffer a lot of damage (houses, crops, etc)?

My great-grandfather, John Jackson, was in Obion Co. during the war and I was wondering what the conditions were like for him as well as for his wife and children.

Thanks,
Helen

Re: Civil War in Obion Co.

Posted: 18 Jun 2008 10:48PM GMT
Helen, An intersting book was written several years ago about life in Obion County during that era. The title is "Glory and Tears" and it was written by Rebel C. Forrester of Obion County. According to the Obion County Museum website it is still available for purchase:
http://www.ocmuseum.com/publications.htm
Good luck, Dave

Posted: 19 Jun 2008 6:26PM GMT
Surnames: Jackson
Hi Dave,
Thank you so much for your help. I will see if I can get this book. It sounds like just what I need.
Helen

Posted: 19 Dec 2012 10:30PM GMT
Surnames: Jackson
If you are referring to John Robert Jackson born in 1863 in Obion TN --I have info on John Jackson (B 1827 VA) and Sarah A. J. Marshall (B 1838 in TN) who were my 2 x great grandparents. My grandmother Carrie Goodman Wiggins-daughter of Martha Elizabeth Jackson born in 1861 in Obion TN--kept a lot of records. We are from Stoddard County MO. Have a few photos and some info to share. Have made several trips to OBion Co and the museum folks are wonderful. Contact Marti there for lots of info. Carrie Bisgard is my daughter and we work on family histories together- contact me at mitchellsheri@att.net Thank you, Sheri L. Mitchell
per page

Find a board about a specific topic