Search for content in message boards

What happened to Samuel WAGGONER after disgrace in 1771?

What happened to Samuel WAGGONER after disgrace in 1771?

Bonnie Bowman Henson (View posts)
Posted: 11 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BOWMAN, WAGNER, WAGGONER, WATTS, ADKINS, FOSTER, WEBB, HAMPTON, HOLMAN, WATTERS, SPENCER, BROOKSHIRE, PRICE, LAWSON
Samuel WAGONER, was exempted from pardon by Governor Tryon on 31 May 1771 following an earlier meeting on 7 March 1771 at a Regulator meeting with Rowan county officials.

What does "exempted from pardon" mean? What happened to Samuel? Can someone point me to a resource? Is anyone researching this WAGONER? Is he related to Mountain City, TN WAGNER family in the 1840s-50s that married into my Joel BOWMAN ancestor? Was he a relative of Henry WAGONER in NC in very early 1800s in Wilkes Co.? If so, did they take opposite sides during the War?

Sure do appreciate the knowledge and generosity shared here.

Re: What happened to Samuel WAGGONER after disgrace in 1771?

Posted: 3 Apr 2004 3:40PM GMT
Edited: 6 Jun 2005 2:20PM GMT
Surnames: Waggoner, Hammock, Smith
Bonnie, I also would like to know "what was a regulator?" Samuel was my ancestor and he died in 1805, they also were in Stokes Co. William his son was mine. Some of his children went on to Tenn. Contact me if you want to. Edie at Elssmith11@aol.com

Posted: 22 Jan 2013 3:03PM GMT
I am researching Samuel Waggoner the Regulator too. Did you ever find out what happened to him? My relatives are also Samuel and William Waggoenr. William relocated with his family to Union County Tennessee. My great grandfather, Jacob Waggoner, was William's grandson. Anyway any information you have on Samuel would be greatly appreciated. I know this post is very old but hopefully someone will have some more information on Samuel the Regulator. Thank!!

Posted: 6 Mar 2013 2:48PM GMT
Surnames: Waggoner, Wagoner, Wagner, Shaw
Is there any known connection between this Waggoner family and George Waggoner, Revolutionary Patriot A 117158 NSDAR, who married Elizabeth and died in Warren County, GA, prior to Jan 10, 1808. His daughter Mary Wilson Waggoner was born in SC in 1768 and married John Shaw, also a Patriot in Warren County, GA in 1783.

Posted: 8 Oct 2013 7:18PM GMT
Surnames: Waggoner
I have been researching this line for a long time and know quite a bit, and have several original records. Samuel shows up in court as a jurior many times after the battle so he must not have had to run away or be hanged. Maybe the whole thing blew over. Now to a more somber topic that I am recently pursuing. I have been told by the author Brent Holcomb and several accredited researchers that William who died before Samuel would not be Samuel's son. Samuel would never nor be Allowed to put a deceased son in his will.

I am now in the process of trying to research where our Wm,sr came from.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic