Search for content in message boards

HADSELL ISLAND ANCESTORS

HADSELL ISLAND ANCESTORS

Margaret Hadsell (View posts)
Posted: 22 May 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: HADSELL, HODSOLL
Looking for information on when the Hadsell's left Hadsell Island in the Lofoten's and whether they emigrated to England before entering the U.S. Would also like to know if Hadsells still occupy the Island.

Re: HADSELL ISLAND ANCESTORS

wendy (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jun 2003 1:15AM GMT
Sorry, Margaret, I didn't see this query until after I'd responded to the other.
Yes, there are still Hadsells on Hadsel Island in Norway. There are also still Hadsells in Kent, England.

Our family history is very exciting indeed.

Posted: 11 Mar 2004 2:56AM GMT
My grandfather came from the Hadsell Islands. His name was Harold Hamilton Hadsell born 3-11-1898. His father was Fredric Hadsell, mother Anna Hesser. Can anyone give me information on these people?
Mary

Posted: 14 Jan 2011 6:30PM GMT
my name last name is hadsell and i was just instrested in the information. I have never heard of a hadsell island but wanted to know if i was releted or if this is where my family came from. My grandfather name was Nathen Hadsell

Posted: 27 May 2012 6:11PM GMT
I also am a Hadsell, I will have to get ahold of my sister but I know they got a book that was published years ago from a Hadsell who I think lived in California who traveled around to gather info on all the Hadsells at the time. My sisters name is in the book she was born in 53 but I am younger and mine isn't. If I can get the info from her I will post it here about the book.

Posted: 28 Jul 2012 10:53AM GMT
Hello, my name is Michael Acireno. My grandmother was Winifred Kirby and her maiden name is Hadsell. I have our coat of armor book and just want to say hello to all. My real last name should be Fowler, but that is beside the point, I just wanted to relate to my roots, so hello all.

Posted: 12 Sep 2012 3:30PM GMT
Edited: 6 Jan 2013 4:54PM GMT
Surnames: Hadsell
I'm sending my greeting back to all the "HADSELL" clan out there.....if anyone needs information from the Hadsell-Hodsoll book I'm one of the lucky 300 that has a copy so I'm happy to help if I can...

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 7:43AM GMT
I am a descendent of the Hodsells of Kent, England and earlier from Hadsell Island,Norway. I have been quietly gathering information on our family history for many years, and have photocopies of 2 pages, that are repeat photocopies and not clear. I would love to get more of the book.

Please contact me
lindastarke@oneseniors.com.au
or by snail mail at
20 Hague Road
Wondonga
Vic 3690
Australia

Others in my network researching this line are also keen to know more and I will pass on anything you are able to share.
Sincerely, Lin Starke

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 9:20PM GMT
Edited: 6 Jan 2013 9:21PM GMT
Hadsel is the name of a farm, an island and a parish in Nordland county, Northern Norway. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadsel

I very much doubt there is any connection between Hadsel in Norway and the English Hadsell family. Hadsell has been a surname in England for many centuries. (It is more likely they have origin in West Haddlesey in North Yorkshire, England.)

There are about 20 persons in Norway using Hadsel as a surname. Norwegian surnames were established about 1900 (by law in 1923). Some families then took in use the farm name (their address) as a family surname. When they lived on Hadsel farm, they might use Hadsel as a surname.

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 2:08AM GMT
Thank you replying. The information of a connection came from a researcher in London and another researcher in America who had toured the areas spoken of doing family research on our Hadsell/Hodsell ancestry which goes back to 1100. The story is that Vikings arrived in Kent and settled there in the period before 1100. In the year 870 Danish people burnt down the abbey in Barking Essex. I am assuming the Vikings in our ancestry arrived in England in the general range of 800 - 1100 AD. The 2 pages I have from the american researcher are not enough to confirm the story which is why I wanted more of the book. Cheers, Lin
per page

Find a board about a specific topic