Search for content in message boards

STOP THE POP UP ADS!!!!

STOP THE POP UP ADS!!!!

Posted: 18 Feb 2003 11:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Oct 2005 2:07PM GMT
Please ancestry.com stop your pop-up ad's. Its very very annoying. I stop using sites that have them to this extent and if this continues I will be forced to consider cancelling my subscription.

Thanks

Re: STOP THE POP UP ADS!!!!

Posted: 19 Feb 2003 4:03AM GMT
http://www.panicware.com
free, and works for me

Tom Gerber (View posts)
Posted: 19 Feb 2003 2:29PM GMT
Thanks - I have looked into it and Netscape 7.0.1 has a pop-up suppressor but it doesn't always work.

I think as a policy companies like ancestry.com should have ad's but in a non-intrusive manner.

Tom

Posted: 21 Feb 2003 10:04PM GMT
Tom we have a policy to not allow pop up ads. We have allowed some pop-under ads but that should be it. We have seen some problems with pop-under ads on AOL's latest browser. Can you specify what ads you have seen in more detail?

Tom Gerber (View posts)
Posted: 21 Feb 2003 10:37PM GMT
I have the pop-ups suppressed with netscape 7.0.1 now but I believe I was getting them using these message boards only and don't remember getting any on ancestry.com otherwise.

I can allow suppression and retry to see what happens if you want me to.

Tom

Posted: 21 Feb 2003 11:10PM GMT
No. Thank you for offering. I was just hoping you might remember how it happened. We allow some partners to run restricted ads in certain areas like message boards. Unfortunately sometimes we find abuses that we need to stop as soon as we can pin point the problem. We continue to weed out partners that will not abide by our standards.

Posted: 23 Feb 2003 1:29PM GMT
Edited: 26 Aug 2003 3:40PM GMT
The Pop Up ads are so annoying, I click them off before they fully load, but I can read the ones I receive and report the names to you. What is double annoying is that just before the 1 - 2 -3 pop up ads come on, I receive a "scrip error" warning, which I must x out of....or sometimes it knoks me off. So these ads are useless....no one reads them

I only have this problem on ancestry.

I've notices that the ads on the right side are becoming wider and the message area smaller....which I will tolerate over pop up ads.

Tom Gerber (View posts)
Posted: 23 Feb 2003 1:59PM GMT
If you use Netscape get version 7.0.1.

It has a new No Pop-up feature in it.

Under preferences -> Security -> go to the no pop's option.

Make sure you check the list of pre-canned sites that are excluded from the no pop-up feature.

There are exclusions - which means sites still allowed to show pop-ups. You might need to add some of your own back in.

Posted: 23 Feb 2003 3:18PM GMT
Thank you..........

Posted: 23 Feb 2003 3:23PM GMT
The two pop-up ads I get are the one with the "Jumping Monkey" but I don't his play so I don't know what he's advertising. And the other is "Cheap Tickets."
per page

Find a board about a specific topic