Search for content in message boards

FAMILY OF EUGENE COSTE & LOUISA TIMS - Toronto

FAMILY OF EUGENE COSTE & LOUISA TIMS - Toronto

Posted: 6 Jan 2010 1:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: COSTE, TIMS
I am wishing to contact descendants for further details and photographs of the family of EUGENE M. A. COSTE and his wife, LOUISA CATHARINE TIMS, formerly of Toronto.

Eugene Coste was born 1859 in Essex County, Ontario and died 1940 in Toronto. He married Louisa Catharine Tims in 1887 at Ottawa, Ontario. She was born in 1855; her death date remains unknown at this time. After residing in Calgary, Alberta for a short time, the family relocated to the Forest Hill area in Toronto, Ontario.

They had a family of five known children as follows:

Eugene Edmund Dillon Coste - born 1888

Jeanne Gabrielle Coste - born 1890

Eugene Francis Coste - born 1891

Charles Coste - born 1894

Marie Louise Coste - born 1896 (later Mrs. Georges Savon)

Further details and family photographs are required to complete a family history.

With thanks,
Kevin.

Re: FAMILY OF EUGENE COSTE & LOUISA TIMS - Toronto

Posted: 7 Jan 2010 8:05PM GMT
Hi Kevin, I'm not related, but since I did look up Eugene Coste's obit for you in the Toronto Star in late 2009, I was interested to read that you are still looking for info and wanted to help you if I could.

Initially, I went on the Toronto Star and Globe and Mail archives hoping to find some mention of Louise Coste's death. I didn't have any luck, unfortunately. However, according to Eugene's Globe obit, she predeceased him (so her death was pre-1940). In the social pages on July 4, 1938, Eugene and Louise's daughter Mrs. Georges Savon is spending the summer with Mrs. and Mr. Eugene Coste, her parents. So it would seem from these two items that Louise may have died sometime between July 1938 and Jan 1940, but I'm sorry I couldn't find anything on her death in the paper.

I did find a couple of interesting items, which you might have already found, in the Globe about Eugene's grandson, Robert Coste, who was the son of E. Frank Coste. Robert was in WWII and was classified as missing and later found. Two interesting pieces regarding this can be found in the Globe: October 2, 1939, page 1 "Fear Upper Canada Grad shot down in Heligoland" and then when he is found: Nov. 4, 1939, page 1 and continued to page 2, col 6: "Swam for hours in icy North Sea"

And a couple of other items of interest:
Jan 18, 1940 page 10 (Globe) Mr. and Mrs. Frank Coste to attend the marriage of Miss Barbara Tims to Mr. Charles Denys Howard

10 March 1948 (births page -- sorry forgot to note page #) Toronto Star: To Mr. and Mrs. Robert M. Coste (nee Virginia Alexander) at St. Michael's Hospital Tesday, March 9, 1948, a daughter.

Hope this helps you a little. Good luck in your searches.

Posted: 7 Jan 2010 8:13PM GMT
Surnames: COSTE
Thanks for the further details. I am pleased to receive the time frame for the death of Louisa Coste. It is strange that her death was not mentioned in the papers. However, I will have to check out other possible sources in order to determine the correct date.

In appreciation,
Kevin.

Posted: 7 Jan 2010 9:23PM GMT
Hi Kevin: I agree it is a bit strange that Louise's death isn't mentioned in the papers. However, perhaps not so strange in the context that when Eugene died in 1940, except the newsy obit that the newspapers themselves wrote and published, since he was such a successful businessman, and his sudden death was 'news' it would appear that the family didn't purchase a 'death notice' for him with details of his burial, at least not that I could find in either paper. Have you found the burial details for Eugene anywhere?

Also, I was wondering if you have already searched for wedding info on Eugene and Louise's children in the Toronto newspapers? If not, let me know and I can take a look for you, if that would help.

Posted: 8 Jan 2010 6:39PM GMT
After reading the helpful response you've obtained from Responder 4867175, I also tried to see if I could find an obituary in the Toronto Star that would tell where Eugene Coste is buried, as contacting them to see if his wife is also there you could likely obtain either a death or burial date. I did not have luck just by searching, but looked at the section where all the death notices are given. There is a notice for him on Jan. 24th & 25th. All the type is very broken,so likely why Search did not pick those up. I could not read the name of the cemetery in Jan 24th notice. But in Jan 25th notice, it says his interment was to be at Mount Hope cemetery. From the following website it appears to be one of a number of Catholic cemeteries in Toronto:
http://www.catholic-cemeteries.com/contact_us.html

There is on that website page a link to find the e-mail address of the Main office for all the Catholic cemeteries in Toronto, which looks to be:
info@catholic-cemeteries.com It says on any inquiry to mention the name of the cemetery of concern. They also give the address and phone number for the main office; also a Toll-free number: 1-800-974-4619.

If you want to contact the Mount Hope Cemetery direct, the following is given for it:

Mount Hope Cemetery
305 Erskine Avenue
Toronto, ON
M4P 1Z7
Phone:(416) 483-4944

Diana Gendron

Posted: 8 Jan 2010 7:58PM GMT
Well Done Diana! I'm so glad you were able to solve that mystery!! I was getting very frustrated that I couldn't find the answer Kevin was looking for. That was really nice of you to look for it so that now Kevin can hopefully find out when Louise died and also perhaps locate a grave marker for them both in Mount Hope. I'm also grateful because now as a result of reading your post, I've learn a few more tips on how best to find things on the Pages of the Past. I find it a frustrating search engine at times. It is good to know the reason it sometimes doesn't seem to work, at least in the way I want it to or the way I think it should, is because of broken type. Good to know.

You might know the answer to another question I often have using Pages of the Past, if you don't mind me asking: Why is it that sometimes the results page might say there are three hits for a particular word on a given day on a given page, and then when you go to that page and it opens up, nothing is highlighted in yellow. Does that ever happen to you? If so, do you know what the reason for that is and how to best work around that, besides sitting and reading the entire page in search of the word I'm looking for?

Thanks again.
from 4867175 (otherwise known as Donna Gage:)

Posted: 8 Jan 2010 9:11PM GMT
Surnames: COSTE, TIMS
Thanks very much Diane for all your information and suggestions!

Regards,
Kevin.

Posted: 9 Jan 2010 12:58AM GMT
Nice to hear from you, Donna. Yes, searching in the Pages of the Past can be sometimes hit & miss. I believe in late December you were able to find a couple of Powell obituaries I had not been able to find. It can be very frustrating at times in searching. I think there is probably a good deal of information on pages that is not picked up by the Search function (?an image scanner?). Yes, I have experienced opening a page the Search identifies and nothing being highlighted in yellow, but I don't know why that happens. I suspect it is something to do with glitches in their technology in some instances. The years I find it happening a lot is after 2000, but luckily I don't often need to search in those years. When I find nothing highlighted on a page of obituaries and I'm looking for a specific obituary, I can just look at the alphabetical listings to see if name is there. But if the term is just "somewhere" on the page, there is no way I can look through all the text, so I just forget that page. If I'm on a page with articles, sometimes I know enough about in what context the term might be related to read articles that might pertain and look for the name or term. If you want to compare notes sometime, my e-mail is mgendron@bconnex.net
Diana

Posted: 30 Dec 2011 8:18PM GMT
Surnames: Coste
Iam the niece of one of Robert Coste crew on the sad day they were shot down in September 1939 Iwould be very grateful if you were able to put me in contact with any members of his family.I have a letter written by Robert from his hospital bed sent to my grandfather describing the events on the day.My uncle Charles Williams did not survive but has a grave due to the actions taken by Robert I have infomation also which Im sure would be of interest of his long time in captivity.So hard to believe what he did!So pleased to have found your enquiry best wishes Sue Landon

Posted: 30 Dec 2011 8:19PM GMT
Surnames: Coste
This post was deleted by the author on 31 Dec 2011 5:51PM GMT
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions