Search for content in message boards

Finnegans of Lamoille County Vermont

Finnegans of Lamoille County Vermont

Posted: 13 Jul 2010 12:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: FinneganMcDowell
I am doing some research on an affray in Eden, Vermont, that involved a Patrick Finnegan and a Leonard McDowell. What I know is that Patrick was born in Ireland about 1820. By 1860 he was living in Eden with his wife Mary, and children, Peter, Mary Ann,Margaret, Dennis Bridget,Ellen ,Catherine and Susan. There was a land dispute between Finnegan & Mc Dowell, and Finnegan was murdered in 1867. I would love to know what happened to the family after Patricks death, and to know where he is buried.If anyone knows anything about this event, please respond.

Re: Finnegans of Lamoille County Vermont

Posted: 17 Jul 2011 10:22PM GMT
Surnames: McDowell
Hello,
I just saw your post. I am a descendant of Leonard McDowell. I found this story fascinating but believe me it did not carry down through the generations. This is the first and only murder than I am aware of.
I believe the Finnegan family relocated to Wolcott, Vermont. Patrick is buried in the Old Catholic Cemetery in Lowell, Vermont.
Are you a descendant of the Finnegans?
Please feel free to contact me at loissmith@hotmail.com
Lois

Posted: 18 Jul 2011 12:01AM GMT
Hi Lois, Thanks so much for responding to the query I submitted. I have been able to find Patricks grave, and through census records traced his widow to Wolcott. However, I can not find when & where she died. Do you happen to know that?I It looks like the younger children ended up in Worcester, Mass., maybe with uncles etc. I am not related to either the Finnegans or McDowells, but take interest in untold stories of this county. I lived in Eden nearly 20 years, and raised my children there, so the town has a special place in my heart.I am trying to put together some stories of little known events in various towns in the county.I'm not a journalist, but hope I can express to people that are attached to this area the history that seems to be long forgotten. It's amazing what turns up in old newspapers & court records!!I think McDowell remained in Eden for the rest of his life, but his son Robert went to the mid-west. If you want to e-mail me I am dlfrench41!aol.com

Posted: 18 Jul 2011 12:03AM GMT
It's me again- my e-mail is dlfrench41@aol.com- I mis-typed it before!!

Posted: 29 May 2012 5:15AM GMT
Surnames: Finnegan
I am very interested in this story as Patrick Finnegan would be my gr-gr-grandfather. Patrick is buried at Old Catholic Cemetery, Lowell, VT. Daughters: Ellen, Theresa, Margaret, and Susan moved to San Antonio Texas in the late 1890's. Theresa Finnegan Faber died in 1948 and is buried in Beeville, TX. Susan Finnegan Thurston Saffold also died in 1948 and is buried in Beeville, TX. Margaret Isabel Finnegan died in 1930 in San Antonio, TX. Still have not found when and where Ellen Lucy Finnegan died. My grandfather, Leonard Boatman was raised by Ellen & Susan in San Antonio. Elen was granted guardianship of Leonard in 1908 in Bexar County, TX. I would love to find out more about the Finnegans. My plans are to visit Vermont in the early fall of 2012. I am located in Northern California and am so excited to do more research when I am there. I have several newspaper articles in regards to the affray and death of Patrick. His daughters (Theresa & Susan) were very involved in the "Daughers of Union Veterans of the Civil Ware 1861-1865 - Louise Tell Ewing Tent No. 5" in San Antonio, TX and I have found many newspaper articles about their participation in this group. It looks like Ellen, Susan, and Margaret were Dressmakers and Ellen and Susan worked for Joske Bros in San Antonio and travelled to NY and abroad for the latest fashions for the Texans ladies. I do not have any information about the sons of Patrick and Mary.

Posted: 29 May 2012 12:05PM GMT
WOW!!! This is so exciting to hear. I am not related to the Finnegans, but do a lot of local history, and find this a facinating family.My e-mail is dlfrench41@aol.com,if you want to communicate with me on this. I have some photo's of that might be of interest to you, as well as some additional information. I have been to Patricks grave;there are other Finnegans buried there, as well as in Hyde Park. The mother of Patrick (Margaret) is in the Hyde Park Cemetery, as well as others. The original home of Terrence, and his barn, still stand. The home of Patrick & his family burned just a few years ago, but I do have a photo of it. Patrick's brother ,John, moved to Lowell, and his house & barn still stand. The last Finnegan in the area just died a few years ago, and was the last in the family to own the Lowell home.

Posted: 30 Aug 2012 11:28AM GMT
I had discovered this story many years ago while researching, but only recently was able to confirm that Patrick Finnegan was my great-great-great-grandfather. I live in the Burlington, VT area (although originally from the Boston area), and would be very interested in whatever information either of you might have on the Finnegans. Patrick's daughter Catherine married a man from Eden named Stillman H. Stone, and they had 1 daughter, Laura May Stone, in 1877. They divorced in 1886. I find the Beeville, TX connection interesting, as I have records of one of my great-uncles (son of Laura May (Stone) Hamill) who was born in Beeville, TX in 1916. My guess is that Catherine had gone there with her sisters, and Laura may have lived there as well.

Posted: 31 Aug 2012 5:24AM GMT
I have quite a bit of information on the following daughters of Patrick Finnegan who somehow ended up in San Antonia & Beeville, Texas. The daughters that I have information on is Theresa Finnegan Faber, Ellen Lucy Finnegan, Margaret Isabel Finnegan, and Susan Finnegan Thurston Saffold. The obituary for Susan is from the newspaper San Antonio Light and it reads:

SAFFOLD - Died Tuesday, April 6, 1948. Mrs. Susan Saffold, 75, residentce 1117 N St. Marys St., beloved aunt of Mrs. Laura Hamil and Miss Josephine Finnegan, Funneral services Thursday, 9 a.m., Angelus Chapel, Requiem mass 9:15 a.m. St. Marys Chruch, offered by Very Rev. John Quinlvan, O.M.I. Interment 3 p.m. St. Joseph's Cemetery, Beeville, Texas, Arrangements by the Agelus Funeral Home.

Theresa's obituary is also from the newspaper: San Antonio Light. It is as follows:

FABER - Died Wednesday, Feb. 18, 1048. Mrs. Theresa Faber, age 89 years. Survivors are: Sister, Mrs. Saffold; niece, Mrs. Laura Hamil. Requiem mass at St. Mary's Church Friday, 9:15 a.m. Very Rev. John Quinlivan O.M.I. celebrant. Interment will be in St. Joseph's Cemetery, Beeville, Texas. Arrangements by the Angelus Funeral Home.

Also the death certificate for Theresa has Laura Hamill of San Antonio, Texas being the informant for Theresa's family information.

Margaret Finnegan never married and she died on May 16, 1930 in San Antonio, Texas.

Ellen Lucy Finnegan moved from San Antonio to Los Angeles, California sometime in 1920's and seemed to go back and forth from California to Texas. I have not been able to find when or where Ellen died.

Ellen and Susan had guardianship of my grandfather, Leonard Boatman. I have requested a copy of the guardianship papers from Texas and am anxiously waiting to get them. My grandfather's mother is Mary Finnegan (another sister) and supposedly she died shortly after he was born in Ardmore, Oklahoma. I have nothing to support this except that Ellen Lucy Finnegan and Susan Finnegan did get guardianship of him when he was about 11 years old in San Antonio Texas. Before my Mom died she wrote a book for us kids with as much of our family history that she could recall and that is where I get the information about Mary Finnegan.

If you send me your email address I can send you scanned copies of this information. My personal email address is: abradell@yahoo.com. I have also been in contact with a Mark Kearney who is a descendent of Francis Finnegan who is one of Patrick's brothers. He lives about an hour from me... I live in Northern California in a small rural town outside of Sacramento called Elverta. He sent me the memoirs of Francis and I can send that to you as well.

It is so crazy how these Finnegan girls ended up in Texas. I have been able to find them in the San Antonio city directory from 1895 or 1896. It might be earlier. How and why did they end up in Texas? This weekend I will start researching about Catherine Finnegan Stone and see if I can locate any information on her being in Texas. I will post anything I find.

So it looks like we might be related thru our Finnegan blood! Hope to have more information for you soon. ~ Ann

Posted: 31 Aug 2012 2:50PM GMT
Surnames: Finnegan
Good morning: If you e-mail me with your address, I will attach a story I wrote in Patrick/ w ith photo of his house & gravestone. I'm not an author, but everything is documented,and factual. I am dlfrench41@aol.com

second character in my e-mail is l ( as in lovely)

Posted: 7 Sep 2012 10:35PM GMT
Hi!

Would it be at all possible for you to send me a copy of Patrick's story? I am descent of his and have been trying to collect what information I can. Thank you! doublenickle@myfairpoint.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions