Search for content in message boards

Jas Wilkinson - unusual name

Jas Wilkinson - unusual name

Posted: 29 Nov 2012 5:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Colonel Hamtramck.

Since he appears in so many records, I thought I'd share.

Attachments:

Re: Jas Wilkinson - unusual name

Posted: 29 Nov 2012 8:00AM GMT
Might be worth mentioning a couple of ranks that aren't in the drop-down list: Ensign and Cornet. Ensign is often abbreviated to Ensn or similar.

Posted: 29 Nov 2012 1:00PM GMT
I had already found Ensign, but I may well have missed Cornet. I never heard of that one before.

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 7:50PM GMT
Also, there are a few notable abbreviations - Lieut is the most common.

We have changed the dictionary to add the ranks and common abbreviations found in the Army. You may notice that there are a few "ranks" that were in the previous dictionary that are not in the new one - such as musician - as they are not really ranks. You will see the dictionary for new image sets you download.

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 7:59PM GMT
Are you saying that if someone is listed as Musician we should not key it as their rank, then, Anna? The field help includes the example of drummer, musician for multiple ranks that would be keyed separated by a comma. So I'm confused.

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 8:11PM GMT
Kate,
No, key the rank as seen on the record - often what they is given is their "job" as opposed to rank but we key what is given. So if the entry is not in the dictionary you will need to validate (F7) it.

All of the official ranks of the Continental Army, Ensign, Lieutenant, Captain, Major, Lieutenant Colonel, Colonel, Brigadier General and Major General are in the new dictionary alongside other official Army ranks.

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 9:47PM GMT
I'm actually enjoying reading these records. There were some very unusual things happening in Gen. Wilkinson's army!

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 9:58PM GMT
He was quite the interesting man - did you happen to read the Wikipedia article I linked to? If you do a search for him there are quite a few stories and articles.

Posted: 1 Dec 2012 1:21AM GMT
Yes, I read part of the article. I think in reading the records in this project you can see that his men thought something wasn't quite right. I read over a court martial today where a man had written a letter to the General saying things to him that probably shouldn't have been written to his commanding officer. By the end of the court martial, he had not only been acquitted of any wrong-doing, but the officers expressed the fact that they agreed with what he had said.

Posted: 1 Dec 2012 1:26AM GMT
Yes, the more I read the more intrigued I am!

Back to keying: Does the title "Vice" have any significance?
If so, how is it keyed? There is no other word with it other than a surname.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions