Search for content in message boards

John Smith to Clark Co Illinois in 1839

John Smith to Clark Co Illinois in 1839

Posted: 3 Aug 2008 4:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Smith
I am looking for any information about a John Smith mentioned in W.H. Perrin's "History of Crawford and Clark Counties", published 1883. He came to Clark County in 1839, the same time as Aaron Mills and Richard Imes.

The book states: "Smith selected his home in the northeast corner of the (Orange) township, where he located for the two-fold purpose of farming and engaging in the tannery business. The tan yard which he operated was one of the first in the county, and returned him a handsome revenue during the time he worked it. He acquired a considerable amount of real estate during his life in this county, which is at present (1883) owned by his descendants, several of whom reside in the township. His death occurred thirty years ago (c 1853)."

I believe this John Smith could be the father of my 2nd great grandfather, Nelson Gates Smith. Nelson was born in 1816 in Watertown, NY, and his father was a tanner. Nelson also had a brother, L.L., believed to be Leonard Smith of Kalamazoo, MI.

Would love to make contact with any descendants of any of these people.

Re: John Smith to Clark Co Illinois in 1839

Posted: 6 Aug 2008 12:26AM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Evetts, Stults
At least what we have now is a coincidence. My gg-grandfather was named John Smith b. 4 Dec 1795, MD; d. 31 May 1858 in IL. He married 1) S (all the information I have) and 2)Elizabeth Evetts, nee: Stults, 19 Nov 1848. She was born in OH in 1809 and died abt. Mar 1890 in Crawford County, IL. John Smith apparently owned a shoe repair business in Paris at one time. At least one of his sons lived in Clark County. However I do not show a Nelson Gates Smith. Let me know if this is of interest and maybe can compare/share information.

Re: John Smith to Clark Co Illinois in 1839

Posted: 30 Aug 2008 7:45PM GMT
Edited: 31 Aug 2008 5:19PM GMT
Surnames: Smith
The only thing that doesn't match is your John's birth in MD. I am looking for a MA birth. Everything else makes sense: my John's tannery and your John's shoe repair business; your John's second marriage, mine was never mentioned to his grandchildren, so we don't know for sure who he is. Do you have a will for your John? Please contact me offline to discuss details. Lenita50@comcast.net.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic