Search for content in message boards

Elizabeth Duckworth Lusitania survivor

Elizabeth Duckworth Lusitania survivor

Mike Poirier (View posts)
Posted: 10 Feb 2002 9:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi
I am looking for relatives of Elizabeth Duckworth who survived the sinking of the Lusitania.
Thanks
Mike

Re: Elizabeth Duckworth Lusitania survivor

Steven Slosberg (View posts)
Posted: 25 Apr 2002 7:39PM GMT
Hello from New London, CT
I'm not a relative, but a columnist for the local paper. The latest issue of Smithsonian magazine says Elizabeth Duckworth, a 52-year-old widow, was from Norwich, CT (actually Taftville. a part of Norwich).
Is this so, do you know?

Best,
Steven Slosberg

Posted: 28 Apr 2002 12:39PM GMT
Hi
Yes, Elizabeth was definitely a survivor. She was in third class. She was berthed with Mrs. Alice Scott and young Arthur Scott. The Nelson Leader stated that Elizabeth and Arthur were on deck and saw the torpedo. Arthur was put into one boat. Alice was in another which capsized in lowering.
Elizabeth was lowered to safety and helped resuce other passengers from the sea. I think the local Norwich paper might have more info on her. Although, she didn't return to America for quite awhile. I know she died in 1955 in Taftville.

I know Norwich quite well. My late uncle Angelo Sanquedolce was the local comptroller.

Mike

Posted: 28 Apr 2002 1:04PM GMT
Hello Mike,
I knew Angie when I covered Norwich for The Day. I wrote a column about Elizabeth Duckworth in The Day on Sunday, April 28.
I did read that account in the Hamilton Spectator. There is a new book out by a British historian that includes several paragraphs about Elizabeth's heroic endeavors in rescuing other survivors. An excerpt from the book is in this month's Smithsonian. The historian, Diana Preston, is leaving England this week for a book tour here and will be at Mystic Seaport on May 11.
I verified Duckworth's living in Taftville from 1913 until she sailed back to England, and then returning in 1919. After that it is hazy until her death in 1955. The historian said her son-in-law was one William Smith. Don't know the daughter's name.

Best,
Steve Slosberg

Posted: 28 Apr 2002 1:28PM GMT
Hi Steve:
I have to laugh as I had forgotten people who worked in Norwood referred to him as "Angie". To relatives, he was always "Skank" or "Uncle Skank". My aunt took me to the
memorial plaque they did in his memory. It was very nice.

Arthur Scott, the boy who she helped save disappeared after the disaster. I managed to track down a relative of his a few months before he died. They were weary of letting me speak to him though. Historians were boggled as to where he was and if he was still alive until I found his grandson. A few months later, his grandson sent me a copy of the Spectator. I was sorry I wasn't able to speak to him.

I do have Diana Preston's book and to be honest I gave it a less than favourable review on Amazon.com. Truthfully, she did utilize some great sources that many authors over look. I've have all of the accounts that she used in my personal collection as well. ( Most authors take easy way out and write about the war and not the disaster, this where Preston succeeds ). But what she didn't do was track down any relatives. The most interesting stories still lie within the families of those who sailed. Anyone can copy what they find in an archive, a true author will know how to apply what they find to help with their research. She didn't do that. There is a Lusitania survivor still living in Connecticut. She is 90 years old and still remembers some snippets. If you want to contact her, feel free to email me at
mikep007@earthlink.net

Best,
Mike

PS Elizabeth Duckworth wrote about being widowed a few times.

Posted: 28 Apr 2002 1:58PM GMT
Thanks again.
Where are you, anyway?
Did what Preston say about Duckworth ring true to you? I found no trace of a William Smith of Taftville, but that probably doesn't mean anything. Preston said Duckworth was twice-divorced and found her account or memoirs at the Mariners Museum...is that in England?
the Norwich Bulletin is not available on microfilm that the Norwich library for the years of Duckworth's later life and death, so I'm presuming she did indeed live in Taftville or Norwich. Preston said she died in a nursing home in Bozrah.
That's all I have. I was reluctant to go to the Norwich newspaper to see its files before writing my column.
Best,
Steve Slosberg

The Day's website is: www.theday.com

Posted: 28 Apr 2002 2:27PM GMT
Hi Steve:
I hail from Pawtucket, RI. And my family summer home is on the shore of Misquamicut, RI.

I guess what she wrote rang true, but the only thing is she used notes from another author's book. Adolph Hoehling had donated most of his Lusitania research that he used in his own 1955 book, Last Voyage of the Lusitania. I have that partial account. Unfortunately the first page is missing. And whatever was on it conflicts with the Nelson Leader story. The Mariner's Museum is actually down in Newport News, Virginia. They do have letters from Bill Smith. Unfortunately, I didn't ask them to copy the letters for me.
I am sure it probably has his return address on it.

I do know that Hoehling also used the Norwich Bulletin as part of his research on her.

I hope this is helpful.

Mike
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions