Search for content in message boards

Wolfgang Hacker Sr. Ancestors

Wolfgang Hacker Sr. Ancestors

Posted: 17 Apr 2003 2:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
My name is Michele Struble, and I am looking for any information about the family of Wolfgang Hacker Sr. and his wife Catherine Muench. I am his Great-Great Grandaughter. I know a little about him and his wife, and their son Wolfgang Jr. (my Grandfather). I know they immegrated from Eschelkamp, Bavaria, Germany sometime in the late 1880's and resided in New Ulm, Minnesota. I have some information on Wolfgang Jr.'s side, if anyone is interested. Please feel free to email me at micstr1972@yahoo.com. Thanks.

Re: Wolfgang Hacker Sr. Ancestors

Posted: 17 Mar 2006 2:21PM GMT
Edited: 7 Jan 2014 3:11AM GMT
Hi Michele,
My gggrandfather is Wolfgang Hacker SR. Father to Wolfgang JR. Father to Anton Hacker. Father to Dennis Hacker b. 1929 in Lafayette/New Ulm, MN.
Dennis was my father. I guess we are cousins.
E-mail: mfh157@verizon.net

Mary Hacker-LeCount
Massachusetts

Re: Wolfgang Hacker Sr. Ancestors and Catherine Obits

Posted: 12 Jun 2006 4:29PM GMT
Surnames: Hacker, Muench, Forster, Koreis, Brey, Gambold, Koop, Saffert
I have found the Obituaries of Wolfgang and Catherine/Katherine Hacker at the Brown County Historical Society. I have typed them up and here they are. Kind of weird that he died nearly exactly 15 years later....

Review, September 1, 1915

MRS. WOLFGANG HACKER

Wednesday afternoon Mrs. Wolfgang Hacker passed away at the home of her son-in-law, Joseph Koreis, on N. Franklin Street. Death was due to dropsy and asthma from which she had been a patient sufferer for many years. She was conscious until the last moment.

The deceased, whose maiden name was Katherine Muench, was born in Bohemia, Austria, January 1st, 1856, and was consequently 69 years of age when she passed away. At the age of nineteen years she emigrated to America, coming directly to New Ulm. Shortly thereafter she moved to Sigel where she found employment in the home of Chas. Forster. In the fall of 1875 she was married to Wolfgang Hacker who survives her. After their marriage they moved onto a farm in the Town of Lafayette where they followed the occupation of farming until her death. She and her husband had been figuring on giving up active farm life and moving to New Ulm this fall.

She is survived by the following twelve children: Mrs. Louis Brey, Bird Island, Mrs. Jos. Koreis, New Ulm, Rosa, Anna and Anton who are still at home, Joseph, Charles, Frank, and Louis of Lafayette Township, Wolfgang of Sigel Township, Albert and Alfred of Brighton. Three children preceeded (sic) her in death. She is also survived by two brothers, John Muench of West Newton and Charles Muench of Fairfax, and three sisters, Mrs. Frances Gambold of St. Paul and two who still live in the old country.

At the time of her death she was a member of the Mothers' society and St. Agnes' Society of St. George. Both of these societies attended the funeral which was held Saturday morning at 10 o'clock from the Catholic church in St. George. Rev. Posek officiated and the remains were laid to rest in the St. George Cemetery.

Journal, September 5, 1930

WOLFGANG HACKER, SR.

The death of Wolfgang Hacker, Sr., for many years a prosperous farmer of Lafayette township, occurred at the home of his daughter, Mr. and Mrs. John Koop, North Franklin street, Friday morning at 12:45 o'clock. He had been suffering from a complication of ailment, since early last January, and was confined to his bed for the past month. Deceased was past 81 years of age, having been born at Echelkamp, Bavaria, Germany, June 8, 1849. During the Franco-German war of 1870-1871, Mr. Hacker served in the elite imperial Bavarian guard, known as the "Kaiser Jaeger," which headed the victorious German army on its march into Paris, when France surrendered to the Teutons toward the close of the conflict. Soon after receiving his discharge from the German army, he emigrated to the United States, coming directly to New Ulm, and late locating on a farm in Lafayette township. In 1874, Mr. Hacker was married, in this city, to Miss Catherine Muench, and they followed agricultural pursuits on the old homestead, until the year after her death, which occurred in 1915. Thereupon, Mr. Hacker retired, and has since resided here. Of the 15 children born to Mr. and Mrs. Hacker, the following 11 survive their father:
Mrs. Wenzel Brey, Bird Island; Joseph, Mrs. Joseph Koreis, and Anton, Lafayette township; Wolfgang, Jr., Sigel township; Charles and Louis, Fairfax; Albert and Alfred, Brighton township; Mesdames John Koop and Henry Saffert, New Ulm. There also are 53
grandchildren, nine great grandchildren, as well as one brother, Andrew Hacker, of this city. Funeral services were conducted at Holy Trinity Catholic church here, Monday morning at 8:30 o'clock, and later at the Catholic church in St. George, internment being made in the Catholic cemetery there. Mr. Hacker was a member of the St. Joseph societies of New Ulm and St. George, which attended the last rites in a body.

Posted: 31 Jan 2013 2:01AM GMT
My grandfather is Alfred Wolfgang Hacker, son of Wolfgang Hacker Sr. Alfred married Minnie Kuester and they had two children, my mother Lorraine Minnie (Hacker)Potter born September 1923 and her brother Donald Hacker.

Posted: 16 Feb 2013 2:19PM GMT
Surnames: Hacker
Is this correct line:

Lorraine Potter, 77, 120 S. Franklin St., died Monday, Sept. 11, 2000 at Maple Manor, Rochester.
Services are 11 a.m. Friday at St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church, New Ulm, with burial in the church cemetery.
Visitation is 4-8 p.m. Thursday and 7:30-8:30 a.m. Friday at Firle Funeral Home, New Ulm, and will continue one hour prior to services at the church Friday.

Lorraine Potter, 77, 120 S. Franklin St., died Monday, Sept. 11, 2000, at Maple Manor, Rochester.
Services are 11 a.m. Friday at St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church, New Ulm, with burial in the church cemetery.
Visitation is 4-8 p.m. today and 7:30-8:30 a.m. Friday at Firle Funeral Home, New Ulm, and will continue one hour prior to services Friday at the church.
She is survived by husband, Donald of New Ulm; sons, Bruce and wife Patricia of New Ulm, Brian of Anchorage, Alaska; daughter Beth and husband Douglas Plesencia of Chandler, Ariz.; grandchildren, Jonathan and Susan Plesencia, and Christopher Potter; sisters-in-law, Luella (Lou) Moeller of Winthrop, and Joanne Hacker of Kingman, Ariz.; and many nieces and nephews.
She was preceded in death by her parents; and brother Donald.
She was born Sept. 8, 1923, in New Ulm, to Alfred and Minnie (Kuester) Hacker. She attended St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran School and graduated from New Ulm High School. She married Donald Potter on Dec. 7, 1945 in New Ulm. They lived for a short time in Springfield before returning to New Ulm. She worked as an LPN at the former Union Hospital, and as a caregiver for many people in their homes. She was a member of St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church. She was a member of New Ulm Farm City-Hub Club.

Posted: 2 Aug 2013 4:03PM GMT
My Grandparents is Alfred Wolfgang & Minnie Hacker Alfred was Wolfgang & Catherina Hacker son. I am the middle daughter of Donald Hacker Alfred & Minnie only son and my dad had one sibling Lorraine Hacker Potter. Alfred, Minnie, Lorraine & Donald are all deceased. Donald had 3 daughters Lynn, Myself Donni and Terri. Lorraine has 2 sons Bruce & Brian and 1 daughter Beth. We are all still living. Lve to know more about our family.

Posted: 10 Dec 2013 7:25PM GMT
My mother is from New Ulm. Her maiden name is Beverly Ann Kuester. Her parents were William and Ann Elizabeth (Hacker) Kuester. I know grandma was from St. George area and in the Hacker family.

I seem to recall some connection from her to Lorraine Potter, and the name Minnie Kuester is also very familiar. We've been trying to connect them to others on both sides of the Kuester and Hacker families. I know they both had family members in and around the New Ulm area.

Grandpa (b 1894) passed away in 1972, grandma (b 1904) passed away in 1992. They owned a small tavern (lived above it) that was between the old Farmers & Merchants Bank, and I believe the phone company. It is now a small office. Later they built a nice rambler style house at 16 S. Franklin.

As kids, we literally grew up in New Ulm. I spent almost two years living with my grandma to help her out and I also bartended at the Holiday Inn.

Regards,
Tim Christensen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic