Search for content in message boards

Descendants of Rufus Whitcomb

Descendants of Rufus Whitcomb

Greg Scotten (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jul 2005 9:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Richardson, Oliver, Avery, Denny, Gilmore, McCarthy
I seek communication with descendants of Rufus Whitcomb (son of David Whitcomb and Orra Richardson). He was born 1796 in Hartford, VT and died 1865 in Orford, NH. His wife was Martha Oliver. Our line of descendants is: Rufus Erastus Whitcomb (1819-1892), Edgar Barstow Whitcomb(1844-1907), and Charles Rufus Whitcomb (1886-?).

Re: Descendants of Rufus Whitcomb

Susan Jones (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jul 2006 2:57PM GMT
Hi,

I do not have any children for Rufus and Orra. I like to extend one generation of each sibling in a line. Orra is not my direct line. She is a sister to my Calvin RICHARDSON. I have all the info on the Richardson lines, back to the 1500s. The RICHARDSON line goes up to my Grandmother.

Sue

Posted: 16 Mar 2007 2:19AM GMT
Surnames: HAYDEN / WHITCOMB / TAINTER
I have a David Whitcomb b. VT abt. 1802, was a farmer in Orford, NH (1850 census) m.Ann Tainter, had dau. Mary Elizabeth b. 1828 in Orford. She m. Francis W. Hayden, lived and died in MA. Do you know if this David is connected to your Rufus?

Posted: 16 Mar 2007 3:10PM GMT
Our Rufus was born in Hartford, VT and lived many later years in Orford, NH. His brother David (#512) born 6 Jan 1796 is found on p. 471 in Charlotte Whitcomb's book. This David married Lucy Prouty and moved to Ottumwa, Ia. Their Parents were David and Ora Richardson whe farmed in Hartford, VT.

The coincidence of both our Rufus and your David living at the same time in the small town of Orford is very intriguing. I could find no match for your David in Charlotte's book.

One good research place for New Hampshire late 1700 and early 1800 ancestors is the Bureau of Vital Statistics in Concord, NH. There birth and some death records contain names of parents. You can look through the record cards yourself.

The Whitcomb Wheel is a new publication and its editor is attempting to update Charlotte's book. Try contacting him, Jeff Linscott at jlinscott@fairpoint.net.

If you have more data about David, let me know.

Greg Scotten

Posted: 10 Jul 2007 8:01PM GMT
Surnames: Whitcomb
Just a follow-up to this posting, my email address has changed.

I can now be contacted at jlinscott002@roadrunner.com. The fairpoint email address is no longer valid.

Any my Whitcomb manuscript includes all that I can find on all Whitcomb's and their descendants, from all sources. I do have Charlotte's book embedded within mine, and I have completed my project of adding in all of Mary Ann R. Shepherd's book "John Whitcomb and Francis Coggan, 350 Years Later" as well.

The Whitcomb Wheel still goes out, every quarter. Queries are welcome.

Jeff Linscott
South China, ME
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions