Search for content in message boards

German Soldier WW2

German Soldier WW2

Posted: 14 Aug 2013 6:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello,
I am looking to find information on my grandfather Heinrich Langejuergens 2nd lieutenant in the german wehrmacht, he was born 1/10/1914. He had my father with ona Lunaite from lithuania in 1942.my father was given up as an orphan to riga state children's home, then went to UNRRA children's home in hahnenklee Germany where he eventually came to canada. Any information on him or possible relatives is what I'm looking for.
Thank you
Elaina

Re: German Soldier WW2

Posted: 10 Sep 2013 10:52PM GMT
I don't think "Langejuergens" is the correct spelling and that might be why you have not found anything yet. My guess (knowing German) is that he was Jürgen Lange or something else Jürgens..that name is not a a regular German surname.

Posted: 11 Sep 2013 3:27PM GMT
The surname Langejürgen is not all that common and appears to be from northwestern Germany. The German war graves database has seven people with that name, but none match Heinrich. One option would be to contact the Deutsche Dienstelle and submit a tracing request. Unfortunately, army records were largely destroyed by the end of the war, so they may in the end have little or no information. It also takes about a year for a response.

http://www.dd-wast.de/frame_e.htm

Posted: 23 Oct 2013 11:48AM GMT
There are just 54 entries for Langejuergen in dastelefonbuch. It could be worth a few polite letters just to ask if anyone has any knowledge of this. Only costs a few stamps and the worst that can happen is no reply - and it has worked for some. The second possibility is that you seem to be sure he was in an UNRRA camp. UNRRA records are held by the World Health Organisation why not write to them and see if there is any record of how the child ended up with them, who the father really was and where he came from. That could pinpoint a district which could help.

Posted: 14 Jul 2014 6:07PM GMT
Surnames: Lunaite
Hello,
My father is also a child of Ona Lunaite from Lithuania. Ona is my grandmother. We were unaware that she had any other children, as she never mentioned it. We can share any information we have on her if you are interested. We would definitely like to know more. My father, Donald Grant Shaffer, was born in 1951 in Philadelphia, PA, USA. Ona passed away in 1991.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic