Posted: 30 Nov 2012 4:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Crawford
This post was deleted by the author on 7 Dec 2012 2:36PM GMT

Re: Death Certificate

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 8:22AM GMT
Edited: 3 Dec 2012 6:46PM GMT
This data will mostly likely not be on-line. On-line data for New York State is scant and this is relatively recent in genealogical terms.

Where was the couple living in 1930?

In the 1940 Census, where does it say Joseph Crawford was living in 1935?

Was it the same place, Taghkanic, Columbia, New York?

Googling for "vital records" in x county and x state will bring up the site of the county and mostly likely have info of how to obtain a death record.

A death record is a good place to start, however the data on it secondary, and only as good as the informants' knowledge and memory. A primary source of parents' names can be found on a marriage record.

If you know where and when the couple married, this should be the next record you should seek.

===============================================

I looked through your posting history, it appears you've posted about this line before, and received some good leads. Have you followed up on those?

This is the death index record for the mother of Sarah (Kitson) Crawford, correct?

You should order this dc, this may have her maiden name.

Kitson, Hannah, 26 y, (dod) 1 Sep 1880, (cert#)358210 Manhattan

Click this link: http://www.italiangen.org/NYCDEATH.STM, you will find a printable form to request the dc, use the cert # above.

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 9:17PM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 7 Dec 2012 2:38PM GMT

Posted: 7 Dec 2012 2:18AM GMT
This is the family in the US 1880 Census, correct? I've posted the specifics from this census on Hannah (maiden?) Kitson.

1880 United States Federal Census [ACOM transcription, 2 Jun 1880]

Name: Hannah Kitson
Birth Year: abt 1854
Birthplace: New York
Home in 1880: New York City, New York, New York
Race: White
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: William Kitson
Father's Birthplace: Ireland
Mother's Birthplace: Ireland

Household Members:

Name Age
William Kitson 36
Hannah Kitson 26
Sarah Kitson 4
Bella Kitson 2
George Kitson 2m [b Mar 1880]

This census has an excellent clue. The last child, George is detail as being born in March 1880. This pinpoints a place and date to look for a record that *might* have the mother's maiden name.

I didn't find a birth record indexed in any of the on-line resources, but that doesn't mean there isn't one to find.

I *think* this may be death record (index) for George Kitson (b Mar 1880), he doesn't present in the NY 1892 Census with rest of family, I presume he didn't make it. This record *may* have his mother's maiden name.

Kitson, George W, 4 m, 4 Jul 1880 #352642 , Manhattan

http://www.italiangen.org/NYCDEATH.STM

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions