Search for content in message boards

Come to a stop need help!

Come to a stop need help!

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 4:02AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cutting McDonnell
Hi
I have come to a stop on my family tree. My mother has no trace of a birth cert..? We know her mother was married (husbands name not known) and found he was a bigamist. My grandmother then was sent away had my mum and she was brought up in a convent (don't know where) by a dutch nun..from age 5 she was then brought up by her step fathers parents in Norfolk...My nan was Irish as was her 1st husband but I can find no records of her..she did change her name from Julia Anne to Sheila although not sure when or why..? Her surname was McDonnell and her 2nd married name was CUTTING..?

Re: Come to a stop need help!

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 7:54AM GMT

Found this on family serarch

name:Julia Anne M'Donnell
registration district:Cork
event type:BIRTHS

registration quarter and year:Oct - Dec 1902
volume number:5
page number:125

digital folder number:4193983

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 1:39PM GMT
Classification: Marriage
Surnames: Cutting McDonnell
Di,

Using Freebmd this looks like it could be the second marriage of your nan.

Marriages Jan-Mar 1932
Cutting John W, McDonnell Aylsham 4b 178
McDonnell Shiela, Cutting Aylsham 4b 178

FreeBMD has index of Births Marriages and Deaths from 1837 to about 1960.
http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/

Certificates cost £9.25 from here
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

If you get the marriage certificate it should give you the age of the bride and the name of her father.

You can use Freebmd to see if the couple had any children.

Bryan

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 9:13PM GMT
Thank you for the information...I am not sure why I could not find it as I tried different variations when nothing came up on her birth date? Do you think I can get a copy of it if so how do I do this..?
I have a copy of her marriage cert which was her second marriage but her name was changed to Sheila on this and her age was changed..? I am not sure how I go about finding if the name change was legal..?

Thanks again you are obviously an expert on this site..lol

Diane

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 9:26PM GMT
THE BIRTH REG WAS FROM FAMILYSEARCH.ORG A FREE SITE.Not sure where you can order the birth cert from I am sure someone on here may be able to advise.

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 10:14PM GMT
Sorry for sounding so dumb but how can you tell it could be the second marriage? I knew she was married before although I cannot find anything as I do not know where, when or the name of her 1st husband only it could be something like Carty he was found to be a bigimist and he was sent to prison he had a wife and 8 children back in Ireland and his wife was reported as dying from the shock of it all..?

Thanks Diane

Posted: 6 Dec 2012 10:42AM GMT
Diane,
Nothing I found told me it was a second marriage I got that from you.

If the first marriage had been legitimate then I'd have expected the second mariage to be in her married name rather than her maiden name but if the first marriage was bigamous she probably would revert to her maiden name.
She may have changed her given name to "hide" who she was.

There is fair chance that there are newspaper reports about her first marriage, Newspapers have always liked a bit of scandal.

Bryan
per page

Find a board about a specific topic