Search for content in message boards

Tutero Indians Tutelo Indians Blackfoot Missing???

Tutero Indians Tutelo Indians Blackfoot Missing???

joyce (View posts)
Posted: 28 May 2003 6:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Friend, Turner, Rule, May, Vaughn, Vaughan
There have been several posts asking about Blackfoot indians in Floyd County. Some have been so bold as to deny their existance. If they weren't here, why are people asking???

A possible solution, Jillison reported that there were Tutero Indians in the area early on. Accounts of the historical Samuel May house recount that it was built near a Tutero Indian Village. Evans map (posted on the Samuel May house site) shows the Big Sandy as Tottery...which may be a corruption of Tutero. Other Indian resources indicate that Tutero was a corruption of Tutelo Indians.

Their is a movement to substantiate existance of Tutelo Indians "The Other Blackfoot." They are associated with the Saproni Indians of North Carolina.

Check it out! I cannot confirm or deny the validity of these claims, but surely bears investigation. There is a website that explains much better than I. Go to your browser and type in tutelo and saproni.

Joyce

Re: Tutero Indians Tutelo Indians Blackfoot Missing???

Posted: 28 May 2003 10:11PM GMT
Surnames: Addington, Hubbard
My grandmother, who was born in Floyd County, always said she was part Blackfoot Indian. Others in the family always said she was part Cherokee. I've been told that apparently, in the late 1800's and early 1900's, it was more acceptable to descend from Cherokee. And, because Blackfoot were not usually found east of the Mississippi, I thought my grandmother was likely in error. However, recently I found a website about the Siouan people which supports my grandmother's statements about her Blackfoot ancestry. The website is: http://www.saponitown.com/ An association between Melungeon ancestry and Blackfoot is also presented on this website. Thanks! Kathy

Carl O. Akers (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jun 2003 8:11PM GMT
Yes, there were and are Blackfoot Indians in Floyd County. My oldest sister was married and has a daughter by a man whom was half Blackfoot Indian. I, on the other hand like to refer to him as Native American. His name was Carl Stanely and his mother is full blood. They used to live across the Big Sandy River at Banner, Ky. We lived at a house that use to be owned by Elick Weddington. People at that time called it Aunt Nan Weddington's House. The Stanely Family lived across the river from there. The whole Stanely Family is Native American and have lived in Floyd Co, Kentucky for many years. My neice Dorthy looks like someone right off the reservation in appearence. So, the answer is definately Yes to Native Americans living in Floyd Co, Ky. Hold your heads in shame for denying your people.

joyce (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jun 2003 8:54PM GMT
Surnames: Vaughn, Rule, Friend, Turner, Black, Dixon
Mr. Akers;

Thank you for your reply. I am going to contact you privately. Am very interested in Native Americans in this area; and I am not ashamed that it appears they are part of my ancestory. My family is not given to idle chatter and if they said Blackfoot....then by golly Blackfoot it is. Why make it up???

Thanks!
Joyce

Margaret (View posts)
Posted: 16 Aug 2003 3:35AM GMT
Surnames: Brown, Stewart, Jenkins, Wilson, Butler, Oxendine
Hi,
Just stopped by, you might find some infomation on the Saponi Town site. Most of those folks are Saponi Indians. Also you might contact Rick Haithcock who is a geneaologist and might have some knowledge of the core family names you are searching. Hope this helps you some.

Margaret Jones

Posted: 28 Aug 2003 11:35PM GMT
Edited: 6 Apr 2006 5:19PM GMT
Dear Sir,

My Grandpa Harry Steele who lived across the Tug in Mingo County always said he had Blackfoot and Cherokee ancestors. In particular, he said his great grandma Marth "Patsy" Mounts Steele was Indian. Her father was David Mounts who married Peter Cline. Sr.' s daughter, Margaret. David Mounts first shows up in land records in Floyd County in the early 1800's. He later moved across the Tug into Logan County, present day Mingo, WVA. I would love to hear more about the Floyd County Blackfoot.
Thanks,

Brenda

Posted: 8 Sep 2007 4:27PM GMT
Are any of these Tutelo indians Crafts?

Posted: 18 Feb 2008 9:43PM GMT
Surnames: mounts/cline
I'm a descendant of David Mounts and Margaret Peggy Cline Mounts. I read somewhere that david mounts father was a john mounts and the mother was an elizabeth raincrow. any of this accurate? I know the 2 married in Montgomery Co VA in 1809 with Peter cline giving permission for Peggy but someone else stood for David Mounts like a guardian.susan

Posted: 20 Feb 2008 3:59AM GMT
Surnames: Ward, Osborne, Cole
Are there any East Ky Native American sites?

Posted: 24 Aug 2012 11:59PM GMT
That house belonged to Alex Weddington, my wife's uncle. The Aunt Nan you referenced was Nancy Belle "Nannie" Conn Weddington, Alex' mother.

Did you by chance know, or know about, a Cynthia Sexton (died in 1961)?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic