Surnames: HINES, FISHER, WRIGHT
Henry Hines b March 15, 1875 Independence, IA
d. ???

Married: Samantha

Had son: LeRoy or LaRoy

Lived in St. Louis abt 1919-1922

Son of Thales Hines & Phebe Fisher Jackson

Brother of Francis Leslie Hines

Half Brother of Rose May Wright. Phebe and John Wright may have had common law marriage. He died shortly after Rose's birth of war wounds. Phebe then married Thales and she died when the children were young.

Children were split up following Phebe's death. Rose was sent to live with the Dix family in IA. & the 2 boys were sent to live with other families. Rose finally found my Grandfather Francis Hines in 1915 and wrote in a letter to him that Henry had visited her in WV in 1900.

Henry was placed in the Eldorado Boys School in Eldorado IA on April 10, 1888 as he kept running away from his foster home. He was there until he was of age and then went out on his own.

Family last saw Henry, Samantha & son in 1920 when they visited Francis Hines & his family in Decorah IA. Henry and family traveled from their home in St. Louis by horse and wagon. From Decorah they went to Independence IA for a visit and then were going to return to St. Louis. My mom (daughter of Francis Hines) said that they never could find Henry and family after that.

Would love to find more info on Henry, Samantha and their son.

Have a lot of Hines & Fisher family history and pix. Happy to share. Please email me direct sarsom@mninter.net

Re: HENRY HINES & WIFE SAMANATHA & SON LeRoy

Posted: 17 Oct 2004 3:47AM GMT
Classification: Query
Do you have any idea when the son LeRoy was born? Here is a possible match in Joliet, Will Co., IL, in 1930:

Henry G Hines Joliet, Will, IL abt 1879 Iowa White Head
Viola M Hines Joliet, Will, IL abt 1885 Wife
Leroy C Hines Joliet, Will, IL abt 1911 Son
Zita W Hines Joliet, Will, IL abt 1916 Daughter

This looks like it might be Henry in the 1895 Iowa State Census:
Name: Henry Hines
Race: W
Birthplace: Buchanan IA
County: Hardin
Place: Iowa Industrial School

Posted: 23 Oct 2004 12:21AM GMT
Edited: 19 Mar 2005 5:06AM GMT
Surnames: HINES
Yes, the Henry Hines at the Boy's Training school is my Grandfather's brother.

Is the Iowa Industrial School (1895) the same as the Eldorado Boys Training School of 1888 - with a name change??

I have a copy of what was written in the Ledger for the Eldorado Boy's Training School in Eldora IA when Henry was admitted:

" #1334 Henry Hines
Born at Independence IA March 15, 1875

Father in Poor House of Buchanan Co. Mother dead. Has one brother and one half-sister.

American Parentage

Committed April 10, 1888 by the District Court of Buchanan County Iowa for Incorrigibility. Would not stay where he was indentured, but ran away and was inccorrigible, otherwise."

It would seem that he would have gotten out of the Training School at age 20 or 21...

I have no date for LeRoy's birth. Just the rememberence by my Mom that he had come with his parents to visit when he was a little boy. The date for that visit was before 1916 and it took place in Clermont, IA

The listing in the Joliet, Will Co., IL 1930 Census just may my Henry and his wife....The only difference would be his wife's name...Perhaps a second wife??? I have his wife's name as Samantha..

Any further info on Henry, Viola, Leroy and Zita Hines from the 1930 Joliet, Will Co., IL Census would be appreciated. Would love to find a family member from Henry's family who is researching also.

Posted: 24 Mar 2013 12:28PM GMT
Surnames: Whitmarsh
I am trying to trace my grandfather, Walter Whitmarsh b. 13 JUN 1872, and believe I have found him as an inmate at the Iowa Industrial School for Boys as listed in the 1885 Census. Your post of 22 OCT 2004 gives a fair amount of information relating to your ancestor Henry Hines that apparently came from the school Ledger. How/where did you locate and access that infromation?

Thanks,

Dave Whitmarsh
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions