Search for content in message boards

mother's name before marriage - ancestors from Lithuania

mother's name before marriage - ancestors from Lithuania

Posted: 3 Dec 2007 5:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: kassakitas
Hello members of this board,
Although i am not a member of this board could you tell me if KASSAKITAS is a Lithuanian name, I am 74 years old with no relations of this name arround now, And i have always wondered how my grand father and mother in 1900 registered when they came into this country carrying my mother when thy where both iliterate, di the officials port of entry go by phonetics.

thank you
frank_leyland

Re: immigration

Posted: 6 Dec 2007 5:10PM GMT
Hi,

Although I can't tell you if your grandparents' surname is Lithuanian, I can tell you that immigrants were required to show official travel papers or passports before they were allowed to board the ship prior to sailing. The clerks would record the passengers' information on the manifest using the information on the travel papers or passports. So, whether or not a passenger was illiterate wouldn't matter. The information wasn't taken verbally but taken directly from the official identification each passenger had in his/her possession.

Two manifests were created prior to sailing: one to stay behind at the port of embarkation and one to sail with the ship for reference when the passengers debarked at the port of arrival.

-MJ

Posted: 6 Dec 2007 5:54PM GMT
Thank you for your answer re port of departure. I suppose it depends on where grand father got his documentation seeing he was a diserter.

kind regards
Frank

Posted: 20 Dec 2007 5:28AM GMT
If your grandfather was a deserter from the Russian army or the draft, he would be in the majority amongst young men coming to USA. It was a very big reason men left Lithuania before WWI.

PG

Posted: 22 Dec 2007 4:24PM GMT

Thank you for your answer, But my real question was was the
spelling of Kassakitas. How would i know if that was the
way it was spelt if my grandparents were illiterate. How
could they register [ here in great britain ] in 1900.

Re: Kaskaitis

Posted: 23 Dec 2007 12:27AM GMT
Surnames: kasakaitits, kasakaitiene, kasakaitye, kassakitas
Frank,

I checked the Lithuanian White pages on-line at www.takas.lt for surnames beginning with KASS. I just found one listing and he's Russian.

When I first saw the double-S spelling I thought it might not be the original spelling.

I then tried KASAKAIT. There were 17 people listed with the Kasakaitis surname including married females (spelled Kasakaitiene) and unmarried females (spelled Kasakaityte).

All Lithuanian married female surnames end in IENE. Unmarried female surnames can end in AITE, YTE, or UTE depending upon the family surname spelling. Men's surnames remain the same regardless of marital status.

There are likely more people with that surname since the White Pages only has listed land lines and many Lithuanians just use their mobile phone numbers.

The surname distribution seemed to cluster around Marijampole in southwestern Lithuania. It's an area where my mother's parents came from.

While they may have left Russia (occupied Lithuania) illegally, they would have had Russian identity papers which would have shown their surnames and given names. I have my grandfather's Russian internal passport from circa 1907 which he carried with him when he came to the U.S.

Kassakitas is likely an Anglicized spelling which made it non-Lithuanians to spell.

Hope this helps in your search. Would love for you to find relatives in Lithuania.

Merry Christmas (Linksmu Kaledu - Lithuanian version).

Tom

Thank you

Posted: 26 Dec 2007 4:37PM GMT

Thank you Tom,
It was kind of you to do the research for me, I am 74years
and i have been puzzled all my life as to where my mother
came from, I know she was born somewhere around all souls day
from what she told me, and her mother carried her in here
arms across poland to Germany where he was working, then on to England.
Once again thank you
and good wishes for the future
Frank.

Re: Kaskaitis

Posted: 29 Dec 2007 10:25PM GMT
Surnames: kasakaitis
Frank,

The Kasakaitis surname is rare enough that you might consider sending a form letter in Lithuanian to those people listed in the telephone directory to see if they know of any family members who emigrated from Lithuania to the UK.

Tom

Thank you again

Posted: 1 Jan 2008 4:25PM GMT

Thank you Tom,
For all you're trouble, I think i will leave it
at that now i have gone as far as i feel capable at my time
of life.
Thank you again
and good luck in the future.
Frank

Re: mother's name before marriage - ancestors from Lithuania

Posted: 4 Feb 2012 12:31PM GMT
Hi Cousin Frank
I too am trying to trace our heritage! ...so it was wonderful to see you on the same track.

My Dad John was your mum (my Aunty Sally) ...incidentally I my Confirmation Name is 'Marcella' .....as your mum was my Confirmation Sponsor.

I live in Australia, married a beautiful Irishman Martin and have a wonderful son Matthew who is 25years old and an Engineer.

Do you have a SKYPE address so that we can chat?
Dee (Dolores)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions