Search for content in message boards

Elizabeth Gilbert (1743-1839)

Elizabeth Gilbert (1743-1839)

Posted: 14 Jun 2007 5:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gilbert, Lutsey
This is a long shot, but I'm hoping to find the parents of Elizabeth Gilbert, born about 1743 (she was 96 when she died in 1839), supposedly born in New York although I'm not positive that's correct. She married John Lutsey sometime during or soon after the Revolutionary War. they moved to Slocum, Luzerne Co., PA and lived there all their lives. She was supposed to be a widow, so I don't know if Gilbert is her maiden name or her married name. Do any Gilbert researchers have anyone who might fit this in your information. I know little about her so I can't really give any more info.

Re: Elizabeth Gilbert (1743-1839)

Posted: 28 Dec 2007 6:26PM GMT
Surnames: Gilbert
If you have not found it yet, go here:
http://trees.ancestry.com/pt/person.aspx?pid=-2143695779&...
Has ancestors for Elizabeth Gilbert.

Posted: 28 Dec 2007 6:27PM GMT
Surnames: Gilbert
If you have not found it yet, go here:
http://trees.ancestry.com/pt/person.aspx?pid=-2143695779&...
Has ancestors for Elizabeth Gilbert.

Posted: 29 Dec 2007 2:08AM GMT
I'm not currently a paying member of Ancestry and it's asking me to sign up to view that link. Can you tell me anything about what it says?

Posted: 29 Dec 2007 4:52AM GMT
It's a link to a family file that says Elizabeth is the daughter of Nicholas Gilbert of Warminster, Bucks Co., PA. The family file goes on to indicate that Nicholas is the grandson of John Gilbert b. Cornwall, Eng d. Philadelphia, PA.

For what it's worth, this is a branch of my Gilbert line, but not one that I've researched. I know several researchers who have, though, and I don't believe they've ever been able to find proof of this connection from Nicholas to John. That doesn't mean it's not true, just take it with a grain of salt until you see concrete proof.

Jane
Descendant of Joseph Gilbert, d. 1710 Buckingham, Bucks Co., PA

Posted: 29 Dec 2007 4:53AM GMT
It's a link to a family file that says Elizabeth is the daughter of Nicholas Gilbert of Warminster, Bucks Co., PA. The family file goes on to indicate that Nicholas is the grandson of John Gilbert b. Cornwall, Eng d. Philadelphia, PA.

For what it's worth, this is a branch of my Gilbert line, but not one that I've researched. I know several researchers who have, though, and I don't believe they've ever been able to find proof of this connection from Nicholas to John. That doesn't mean it's not true, just take it with a grain of salt until you see concrete proof.

Jane
Descendant of Joseph Gilbert, d. 1710 Buckingham, Bucks Co., PA

Posted: 29 Dec 2007 7:30AM GMT
Can you tell me the other information available about this family? Who was Nicholas's wife and what are their birth and death dates? I checked the family trees on the Ancestry World Tree, and there are listings for Nicholas Gilbert born in 1719 in Bucks Co., PA. One has his wife as Esther Craven and another as Margaret ? Two say his father is Samuel Gilbert. One has the daughter Elizabeth married to Joseph Hart, who died in 1797, so that wouldn't work because the first Lutsey is born about 1778. I don't see any for a Nicholas with the father as John.

Posted: 29 Dec 2007 3:28PM GMT
Here is the information given in the family file:

John Lutsey
Born: ABT 1754 Hesse-Hanau, Germany
Died: 28 FEB 1827 Newport, Luzerne, PA

Elizabeth Gilbert
Born: ABT 1743 NY
Died: 3 OCT 1839 Newport, Luzerne, PA

Source cited:

U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900
Name: Elizabeth Gilbert
Birth Year: 1753
Spouse Name: John Lutsey
Spouse Birth Place: Gr
Spouse Birth Year: 1755
Marriage State: of PA

Parents:

Nicholas Gilbert
Born: 1719 Warminster,Bucks,Pennsylvania,USA
Died: 1762-08-13 Warminster,Bucks,Pennsylvania,USA

Esther Craven
Born: 1725-09-26 Port Richmond,Staten Island,New York,USA
Died: 1804-03-29 Hartsville,Bucks,Pennsylvania,USA

Grandparents:

Samuel Gilbert
Born: 1688 PA
Died: 1750-03-26 Warminster,Bucks,Pennsylvania,USA

Elizabeth Carrell
Born: 1698 Northampton,Bucks,Pennsylvania,USA
Died: 1717 Southampton,Bucks,Pennsylvania,USA

Source cited:

U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900
Name: Samuel Gilbert
Birth Place: PA
Birth Year: 1688
Spouse Name: Elizabeth Carrell
Marriage State: of PA

Great Grandfather:

John Gilbert
Born: 1671 Cornwall,England
Died: 1702-01-07 Philadelphia,Phila,Pennsylvania,USA

Here is the will abstract I have for the supposed John above, although the death dates don't match. I'm quite sure this is who it's supposed to be, though, because I've never seen any hint of another John Gilbert in Philly in that timeframe.

GILBERT, John of Philadelphia. Merchant. 8/8/1711.

- Daughters: Sarah Elfreth, Mary Ballard and Abigail Gilbert.

- Grandson: John son of my deceased eldest son John;
other children of son John whose names are not given.

- Grandchildren whose names are not given,
the children of Henry and Sarah Eifreth.

- Grandsons: William and Samuel
Ballard.

- Granddaughter: Elizabeth. daughter of deceased son Joshua.

- Mention made of Daniel England, Susanna Harward and Richard Sutton.

Executor: Son Joseph.

Jane

Posted: 30 Dec 2007 6:39AM GMT
Well, most of the other family trees I find on Ancestry have the Elizabeth Gilbert who is the daughter of Nicholas and Esther Craven married to someone else until 1797, so I have to assume whoever made this connection with the wife of John Lutsey is wrong. I don't see any way to reconcile the two.

Posted: 31 Dec 2007 4:18AM GMT
Unfortunately I jumped the gun on this one. The link shows that Elizabeth Gilbert, wife of John Lutsey, parent’s names were Nicholas Gilbert (1719-1762) and Esther Craven (1725-1804). However when I checked, this Gilbert family lived in Harsville, Bucks, PA and had a daughter named Elizabeth. This Elizabeth was born 09 Jul 1748 in Warminster, Bucks, PA and married Joseph Hart. So unfortunately, the Elizabeth that we are interested in was linked to the wrong family.

A quote from Ellen Lutsey given in 1918 about John and Elizabeth, “After the war they lived in Orange County NY until their land grant came through”. That would be from about 1783 until about 1785. Did they live with friends, relatives, or parents? Another source states that Elizabeth was born in Westchester Co, NY. That is right next to Orange Co and close to Staten Island where the Hessian troops first arrived in 1776. Searching the Orange Co 1790 Census finds the Daniel Gilbert family. Daniel was around the right age to be Elizabeth’s father.

None of this is confirmed yet so take it with a grain of salt. I’ll let you know if I find more.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions