Search for content in message boards

Isaac Martin suing Joseph White; Burke, NC 1787

Isaac Martin suing Joseph White; Burke, NC 1787

Posted: 14 Mar 2011 8:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Martin, Williams, White
Does anybody have any information on this lawsuit? Thanks.

July 1787? SUBPOENAS ISSUED: To James Davenport and Reuben Estes in the case of Isaac Martin vs. Joseph White. [Burke County Court Records abstracted in Edith Warren Huggins, Burke County, North Carolina Land & Misc. Records, Vol. III

(Easley SC: Southern Historical Press, reprint 1985), 131]

July 1789 SUBPOENA ISSUED: To William White in case of Isaac Martin v. Joseph White. [Burke County Court Records abstracted in Edith Warren Huggins, Burke County, North Carolina Land & Misc. Records, Vol. III (Easley SC: Southern

Historical Press, reprint 1985), 158]

Re: Isaac Martin suing Joseph White; Burke, NC 1787

Posted: 8 Apr 2011 3:25PM GMT
Hi Brian. I don't know anything about Isaac Martin, but I know who all of the other characters are. They were in what's now Caldwell County near Collettsville. Maybe this could have been taken to a higher court. Have you looked into NC records? Joseph White left Burke County about that time. If I had to guess what the suit was about, I'd say that Joe probably skipped out on a debt or took something with him that was Martin's. Or maybe he sold a farm that he didn't own!Let me know if you find a further record of this.

Carol

Posted: 11 Apr 2011 2:46AM GMT
Thanks. I'll post anything I may find. Was Joesph White involved in a few shady deals? I don't know anything about the Whites.

Posted: 11 Apr 2011 7:08AM GMT
In the book, The History of a North Carolina County; Burke by Phifer are several mentions of Joseph White, the son of William White, Esquire and two for Isaac Martin. Joseph was a Major in the Rev. War. (page 309) In 1778, Joseph entered 100a. of land in Burke Co on Cosbey's Branch of Silver Creek. William White, as well, owned land in Burke Co.

This might have something to do with the lawsuit. Isaac Martin was indited for being a Tory in 1782. His name is included on the, "List of Alleged Loyalists in Burke County Indicted by the State of North Carolina, 1782". He remains in Burke Co. and enumerated on the 1790 Census there.

Isaac Martin may have been falsely accused?? but this is purely supposition on my part. It is likely this court case has something to do with Isaac Martin's attempt to clear his name or possibly get his property back??

My Ambrose Williams was also in Burke Co. during the RW.

Good Luck,

Clydene //..fredclydene@aol.com/,.

Posted: 11 Apr 2011 12:18PM GMT
Hi Brian and Clydene.

Brian, No, I haven't ever read about any shady deals pertaining to Joseph White. but there were a few lawsuits involving William White and James Davenport. Joseph was the son-in-law of William White.
Clydene- I've read Dr. Phifer's book and that stuff about the Whites was wrong. (I spent 10 years sorting out all the Whites)Major Joseph White was neither related to William White nor was he the Joseph White from Silver Creek. Major White left Burke soon after the Rev. War. There were MANY William Whites, Thomas White and Joseph Whites in the records of Old Burke County.I would like to know more about Ambrose Williams and Isaac Martin though.

Posted: 11 Apr 2011 8:21PM GMT
I believe that we determined that my Williams ancestors are not GENETICALLY related to Ambrose Williams. Who's to say there were not children born with fathers with a different surname. I believe my Williams ancestors descend from Mordecai Williams line somehow. Maybe a son or nephew. I have participated in the Williams DNA project and I believe we eliminated a genetic match to Ambrose Williams line. A researcher I have been working withjust got her cousin to participate in the DNA project and they may be related to the Mordecai Williams line. I'm hoping we have a match. I descend from Isaac Martin's line through my 3x great grandmother. They all lived in Burke and then Caldwell when it was formed. They ended up moving back to Burke again. I wasn't insinuating Joseph White was shady earlier. I was just wondering if there were any other cases when it was mentioned that "he may have sold land that wasn't his". I'm still trying to get a collection of who was who back then and hopefully I'll be able to find out more about my ancestors. I have hit a brick wall.

Posted: 12 Apr 2011 10:18AM GMT
All I know about Isaac Martin is what I read in Phifer's book about his being indicted for being a Loyalist and that Phifer found him on the 1790 Census in Burke. I did not check the census myself.

Since you have done extensive research on the Whites in Burke Co., I guess even Phifer could be wrong as computers, DNA, etc., were not advanced in his day. Just thought I'd include that in case no one had further research on the Whites.

My Ambrose Williams entered three separate pieces of land in Burke Co. in 1778. His daughter Elizabeth married James Kerley and also lived there prior to moving to TN. Ambrose' wife died during the Rev. War and he married Jane Hiatt Inman who married first to Hezekiah Inman Sr. The Inmans also lived in Burke Co. I have them pretty well documented but I'm searching for Ambrose' second marriage to Jane Inman - have't found that yet.

Ambrose' first wife, Mary Moore probably had Moores who lived in Burke but that research has come to a brick wall there.

I have a problem in Burke as most of the land for the Kerleys/Inmans is under or on the shores of the James Lake. It has been difficult research. I'm searching for the burial of Mary Moore Williams - no luck on that yet.

Posted: 12 Apr 2011 1:02PM GMT
There's an old story about Jesse Moore having to pay for his land twice because the person who sold it to him didn't own it. The name " Governor Martin" was mentioned as the real owner of the patent. Joseph White is also mentioned as a friend of Jesse Moore in the story. I was just wondering- you know how a story can change over 200 years time!

Clydene- I also belong to that Lake James family of Moores. Maybe there's something in my file that you can use. I'll have a look.

Posted: 27 Apr 2011 11:19PM GMT
According to the Moore Book, Jesse Moore Sr. Purchased his land from Reuben White in 1772. Mr. R. White lived at the junction of John's River and Mulberry Creek.
A note in Jesse Jr Moore's hand was found along with Jesse Sr's will. The note said in part " I Jesse Jr do promise to pay are cause to be paid to Alexander Martin of Rockingham County the sum of $200.00 in or before the 15th of November in the year 1800." ---paid in full 12 Nov. 1800 Alex. Martin
As a side note, I understand Jesse Sr Moore made peach brandy to repay the Debt Governor Martin said he owed.

Posted: 28 Apr 2011 6:38AM GMT

I appreciate any help with finding burials or information on burials for my Mary Moore Williams (the Moore Family), Kerleys and Williams in Burke Co. Clydene
per page

Find a board about a specific topic