Search for content in message boards

Dowlings in Shediac

Dowlings in Shediac

Posted: 6 Mar 2012 12:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for information about my great great grandfather Thomas Dowling. He was born in 1831 in Shediac (I believe) and died in Shediac in 1880. His wife Mary Ann Fillamore (b. 1832 in Shediac) and his children, James, John, Melvin, and Catherine emigrated to Maine. I have found them on the 1851 NB census but no where else. I am hoping to find where he was buried. I am curious about when the Dowling family came to NB.

Thank you! Sarah

Re: Dowlings in Shediac

Posted: 7 Mar 2012 11:03PM GMT
1871 Census Westmorland County, New Brunswick
Parish of Shediac, all Born New Brunswick
DOWLING,
Thomas, male, 45, married, Catholic, Irish, Millwright
Mary, Female, 39, Married, Baptist, English
James, Male, 13, Baptist, Irish
John, Male, 11, Baptist, Irish
Gilbert, Male, 9, Baptist, Irish
Duglas, Male, 7, Baptist, Irish
Catherine, Female, 4, Baptist, Irish
Mary, Female, 2, Baptist, Irish

(Source - Book, 1871 Westmorland County Censusy, by Kenneth Kanner, page 430.)

Posted: 7 Mar 2012 11:12PM GMT
1881 Westmorland County Census
Parish of Shediac

Can be found on this page
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp

Posted: 8 Mar 2012 10:11PM GMT
Thank you so much for your response. I had seen this census before and thought it wasn't my family though on second look if clearly is. You are so kind to reply. If you have any thoughts about how I might find out where he is buried, I would be grateful.

Best, Sarah

Posted: 10 Mar 2012 6:27PM GMT
In the transcription of the 1861 census for Westmorland county, Parish of Shediac, you will find the following:

Thomas Dolon, male, age 31, native, G Labourer, Cath
Marey A. Dolon, female, wife, age 28, native, Bapt
James Dolon, male, son, age 4, native, Cath
John T. Dolon, male, son, age 1, native, Cath

There is also another family with the surname DOLIN (may be related):
James Dolin, male, age 24, native, Gen Servant, Cath
Elizabeth, wife, age 24, native, Cath
George, male, son, age. .6, native, Cath
Mary, female, mother, age 65, born Ireland, Living with Son, Cath
Catherine Scott, female, age 11, native, Servant, Cath

SOURCE: Kenneth Kanner, ed., "1861 Census, Westmorland County, New Brunswick" at page 383.

On the NB Provincial Archives website, there is a death record for Mary Dowling, age 84 of Shediac, born in Ireland, who died 16 Oct 1889 in Shediac of inflammation of the lungs.

Hope ths helps.

Dawn

Posted: 11 Mar 2012 11:42AM GMT
Dawn, thank you so much for taking the time to help me out. I really appreciate your kindness and the addition to my family tree!

Sarah

Posted: 13 Mar 2012 4:26PM GMT
Good day,

This entry may explain the name Scot in the Dowling household in 1851

Daniel F. Johnson : Volume 10 Number 2831
Date May 17 1845
County Saint John
Place Saint John
Newspaper New Brunswick Courier

m. 8th inst., Parish Church, Shediac (West. Co.), by Rev. Dr. Jarvis, Joseph SCOTT / Miss Rosanna DOWLING both of Shediac.

Just thinking.

Ginette

Posted: 24 Mar 2012 1:20PM GMT
Surnames: Dowling
Hi Ginette: Thank you so much for your research and response. I will definitely take a look at that!

Best, Sarah

Posted: 14 Sep 2012 3:50PM GMT
we must be related Katherine Dowling married roderick macdonld,my 2great grandfather my name is darlene macdonald quayle thomas dowling md mary ann fillamore i can share what i have darlene. Thomas dowling b-nov 1831 d-1880 Shediac,westmoreland,new brunswick,Canada. Thats is most of what i have Mary ann dowling died in maine dec 30 1905 of consumption.her mother was mary ann stutz b-1796 and father was Thomas Fillamore b-1791 my grandfather was Finley melvin macdonald b-7 jul 1889 on one of the censes mary ann stutz said she was dutch.

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 5:59PM GMT
Hi Darlene: I am sorry I am so tardy in response to your kind post. Katherine Dowling was my great grand aunt. (Her brother James was my great grand father. I am thinking this makes us third cousins... I had most of the info you provided except the part about Mary Ann Stutz being Dutch! I have been trying to figure out when the Dowlings got to Canada. It's funny that my mom always told me that my grandfather (John C. Dowling) was very proud of his Irish background. And it seems that he was at least 4 generations away from Ireland.

Thank you again for your response!! Sarah Dowling
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions