Search for content in message boards

Conrad, Booth, Menge, Wiese, Withan, and Grimshaw families

Conrad, Booth, Menge, Wiese, Withan, and Grimshaw families

Posted: 10 Jul 2005 10:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for any information on, or anyone related to these families. My line comes from Margaret Conrad who first married William Booth. She then married Joachim Wiese. Their son James Allen Wiese was my great grandfather. Margaret Conrad's sister was Catherine Conrad who married Anton Menge. Margaret's daughter Josephine Booth married Alexander Grimshaw. Margaret's daughter Emma Wiese married Dave Withan, and Marg.'s daughter Agatha Wiese married J. Hingle. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Conrad, Booth, Menge, Wiese, Withan, and Grimshaw families

Dennis (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jul 2005 4:27AM GMT
Michelle,
I am dd of Anton Menge and Catherine Conrad. I have info on the menge line. Let me know what you have or need.

Posted: 13 Jul 2005 2:29PM GMT
Dennis,
Do you have any information on Catherine Conrad's parents?
I have Catherine and Anton Menge married in 1844. With the following children, Joseph, William, Nettie, and Anton. I have William married to Sylvia Treadway, children Hattie, William, and Florence. And Anton Jr. Married to Callie Williams. That is all I have on the Menge family. Please feel free to email me with any other information you may have. Dmjaj311@aol.com
I really appreciate your help.

Posted: 16 Jul 2005 6:19PM GMT
I have found some census info, in case you don't have it

1880 T9/465 E.D. 144 Sheet 2B
J. Weise age 45 male Head Merchant born Germany
M. Weise age 40 female Wife born Louisiana
J. Booth age 12 female Daughter born Louisiana
John Weise age 11 male Son Clerk born Louisiana
Emma Weise age 10 female Daughter born Louisiana
Aggie Weise age 8 female Daughter born Louisiana
J. A. Weise age 3 male Son born Louisiana
Edith Weise age 1 female Daughter born Louisiana

1870 M593/526 page 185
Joachim Weisse age 34 male Carpenter born Russia
Margaret Weisse age 32 female Keeping House born Missouri
Josephine Weisse age 13 female attending school born Louisiana
John A Weisse age 7 male born LA
Catharine Menge age 67 female Keeping House born Prussia

1860 M653/414 page 697
William Booth age 31 male Engineer born England
Margaret Booth age 20 female born Ohio
Josephine Booth age 3 female born Louisiana
Catherine Conrad age 55 female born Baden
Barbara Conrad age 17 female born Missouri
Henry Conrad age 9 male born Missouri
Anthony A Booth age 23 male born Louisiana

I am not related, just trying to help.
Johnny

Posted: 16 Jul 2005 9:10PM GMT
Thanks, for the info Johnny. I really appreciate it! This has been the toughest part of my family to find any information on. So I really am thankful for any help.

Posted: 17 Jul 2005 3:53PM GMT
This looks like a very good possibility for Margaret Conrad with her parents. She was listed as being born in Ohio in the 1860 census and born in Missouri in the 1870 census.

M432/419 Mount Pleasant, Scotland, Missouri page 150
Jacob Conrad age 55 male Farmer born Germany
Catharine Conrad age 47 female born Germany
Frederick Conrad age 26 male Farmer born Germany
Sophia Conrad age 21 female born Germany
George P Conrad age 19 male Farmer born Germany
Margaret Conrad age 11 female born Ohio
Barbara Conrad age 8 female born Missouri

Catharine Menge appears to be the mother of Margaret rather than her sister. The age here matches the age in the 1870 census for Catharine Menge. Also there is a 35 year age difference between the two.

Margaret A Wiese is listed in the Louisiana Statewide Index of Deaths. She died on Sep 20, 1915 at age 76 in Plaquemines. Volume 12 Certificate # 20377.

1910 census. T624/526 E.D. 56 Sheet 2B
8th ward Plaquemines, LA
Wiese, Mrs. Margaret A. age 71 female Widow born Ohio, parents born Germany
Wiese, Agnes age 33 Daughter Single born Louisiana

Right next door is:

Withan, Dave - Head age 50 male married 17 years born Germany
Withan, Emma - Wife age 37 female married 17 years born LA
Withan, Elsie - Daughter age 10 female born LA

Posted: 17 Jul 2005 5:59PM GMT
I originally thought that Catherine must be Margaret's mother also. Then I found an obit for Catherine Menge and it stated that she was survived by "four sons and one daughter, Miss Nettie, all of whom with one sister, Mrs. WEISE, have now survived their aged mother.... " So then I began to wonder if I was wrong. I could find nothing else linking the two as mother and daughter. What do you think?
By the way thanks for all your help!!

Posted: 18 Jul 2005 3:03AM GMT
That is a huge age difference to be sisters. Even if the mother was 14 when giving birth to Catherine, she would be 49 giving birth to Margaret. I guess it is possible, although unlikely. Then again, the four sons part would not coincide with the Jacob and Catharine I found. Quite a mystery.

Posted: 18 Jul 2005 2:07PM GMT
Here is Catherine Menge's obit.
Mrs. A.C. MENGE ( nee Catherine CONRAD), died 10 March 1909, another land-mark was added to the rich harvest of the grim reaper, the lingering illness which rendered her an invalid for the last few years came to a peaceful end last Wednesday afternoon. Nearly every member of her large family about her bedside. Her remains were tenderly laid away the following day, the funeral being the largest wittness in this section in which she lived. Eighty-five years ago, Catherine CONRAD was born in the village of Gros - Beeren, Sexony, Germany, and came to this country with her parents at the age of fourteen, locating in this parish. Reared by the sturdy parents under the precepts of true Christianity, she labored in her earlier years in teaching the young, principally devoting her time with patience and energy to the beautiful Sunday School work, which later bore fruits in many of her disciples. In 1844 she married Anton MENGE who died in 1866, leaving a rich heritage, four sons and one daughter, Miss Nettie, all of whom with one sister, Mrs. WEISE, have now survived their aged mother....
I cannot figure it out. Unless the family first came to La from Germany and then went to Ohio, and Mo, but Catherine stayed behind and married. Also by the dates in the obit she would have been born in 1824 which is one year after Frederick Conrad. I have tried finding immigration records for them but I couldn't find anything to help. I guess I will just have to keep digging. :)
Thanks for your help.

Posted: 18 Jul 2005 2:45PM GMT
Yet another census to confuse further. I did not realize she was still alive in 1900, here is the census.

T623/577 8th ward Plaquemines, Louisiana E.D. 43 Sheet 14A
Nolan, Thos Jr. - Head age 27 born Sep. 1872 married 4 years Farmer born in LA, parents born LA
Nolan, Kate - Wife age 25 born Feb 1875 married 4 years born in LA, parents born LA
Nolan, Harold - Son age 2 born Oct 1897 in LA
Menge, Catherine - Grandmother age 70 born Jan 1830, mother of 7 with 5 living born in Germany, parents born Germany Widow Immigrated in 1850.
Menge, Nettie - Aunt age 30 born May 1870 in LA, parents born in Germany
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions