Search for content in message boards

Alabama Cassadys

Alabama Cassadys

Posted: 1 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 Jul 2002 12:09AM GMT
Surnames: Cassady, Prestwood, Shiver, Barbour, Goodgame
I would like to correspond with anyone doing research on the Cassady/Cassidy families in Southeastern Alabama. My g-g-grandfather, Levi Cassady, moved to Henry County, Ala. in the early 1830s, from Chesterfield County, South Carolina. About this same time period, five other Cassady families also moved here from SC : 1. Alexander, 2. William, 3. Michael H., 4. Patrick, and 5. Zachariah Jr. I am uncertain what the relationship was between these families, but do know that they were related. Would appreciate any help in this matter. Would be happy to share information.

Bill Cassady
Lillian, Ala.

Re: Alabama Cassadys

Ida (Cassady) Markcum (View posts)
Posted: 21 Mar 2002 7:00AM GMT
Surnames: Markcum,Cassady, Bredwick,Feemster,Evans
My g.g.grandfather is as far back as I have got in tracing my roots.Want to know his parents' name.
gggrandfather's name (I think) was L.A.(Lloyd) Cassady. He ran a steam boat on the Arkansas River.According to Uncle Joe Cassady, he and his boat dissappeared.Cousin Tony Cassady said he was a steam boatsman till his death on the river around 1876. The Crawford Co. Arkansas 1870census lists his birthplace as Alabama. Can you shed any light on a connection?
My great,great grandfather married Ruth Bredwick,b.1842(in Arkansas),and had 3 childrenWilliam Henry(1863)Marion Calvin(1870) and Rosa(no date).He lived in Van Buren,Arkansas till his death,cause unknown.
My grandfather was Henry Julian b.Dec.6,1896 to William Henry. Grandpa had an identical twin brother, Calvin Jewel (I think ) was his name.My dad was Raymond Howard.
Will appreciate any help. I feel like one of these Cassadys is in my family line.

Posted: 21 Mar 2002 5:18PM GMT
Edited: 30 Jul 2002 12:09AM GMT
Can not find any of the names you listed in my database. I'm fairly certain that they are not part of my CASSADYs. There were some Cassadys in the western part of Alabama back about 1820. They were not part of my Cassady family, but, timewise, L. A. could have come from that group. Good luck.

Posted: 27 Feb 2003 4:37AM GMT
Edited: 5 Jun 2006 1:28AM GMT
Surnames: Cassidy/Cassida/Cassiday/Garrett/Drake
My grandfather, Barney Dell Cassida is a descendant of John Cassidy and William Cassidy. Spellings include Cassiday, Cassidy, Cassida. My grandfather was born in Galveston TX however he lived in North Florida and Alabama. I don't have much information about John his father except that he married twice. Cora Lee Garrett was his wife. Think his 2nd and not my real gr grandmother. John was born around 1880 and I guess William around 1860. William married Sue Drake (Margaret Elizabeth Drake) could have also been nicknamed Bessie. Whew! Levi sounds familiar. Look up on ancestry.com for Barney Dell Cassida and you can find some info. Wish it were more. If you find anything about John or William, please let us know.

Posted: 19 Aug 2007 12:53AM GMT
Bill: I am a descendent of the Patrick Cassady you mention as moving from Chesterfield District, SC to Henry Co. AL. Patrick married Elizabeth Nordan and had 3 children, Albert Evan, Harriet, and Sarah Ann. Patrick died, and Elizabeth married Henry Abner Coburn. They moved to Sabine Parish, LA. Sarah Ann married Elias Weldon. Their daughter, Sarah Callie (Weldon) McFarland was my great grandmother.

Elizabeth is buried with Henry Coburn in Middle Creek Cemetery in Sabine Parish. Sarah Ann, Elias, and Callie are buried in Blue Branch Cemetery in Pitkin, Vernon Parish, LA.

Info on "Rootsweb" shows Patrick's parents as Zachariah Cassady (Casity) and Mary Idly. Both born in Ireland and married in Ireland. I've looked a little on the web and found Zachariah in some of the censuses but nothing on Ireland, the marriage, or when they came to the US.

Have you had any better luck? I wonder about Idly. Could be a corruption of Hedly or Headly.

Bob Brown

Posted: 5 Sep 2007 8:35PM GMT
Hi Bob,
Patrick's parents were Zachariah Cassady and Mary Idly (according to Patrick's family bible). But I'm sure they were not married in Ireland. Zachariah fought in the Rev. War and is listed as from S. Carolina. In the 1790 census, Zachariah was married, but had no children. I have no information on Mary Idly, other than what is listed in Patrick's bible.I've been to Ireland, talked with genealogist there, and can not find the connection to the S. Carolina Cassadys.

Posted: 9 Sep 2007 1:02PM GMT
Surnames: Cassady, Idly
Hi Bill:

Thanks for the additional info on the Cassadys. I misread the info I had. I have nothing indicating Zacharia Cassady and Mary Idly were married in Ireland. Just that they were both born in Ireland. Sorry for the mistake.

I had not heard of a Patrick Cassady family bible. Are copies of any birth/marriage/death pages available.

Thanks.

Bob Brown

Posted: 25 Jan 2008 5:16PM GMT
Surnames: cassidy
I don't know if this message board is still active but I am a relative of yours. Zachariah was my ggggrandfather from SC, then moved to Al - then David, his son, Jobie my grandfather and then my father, James. All of those Cassidy's (note - Jobie and James spelled their name CASSIDY) were born in Alabama but later moved to Perry, FL and then Lake County, FL where I was born.
Please correspond with me so we can compare notes
Judie cassidy serode

Posted: 25 Jan 2008 8:20PM GMT
Hi Judie,
Would love to correspond with you. My e-mail address is:
w.cassady@hotmail.com.
Bill Cassady
Lillian, AL

Posted: 18 Nov 2012 5:50PM GMT
Surnames: cassidy
Did Zachariah have a son named John or Joseph? Could he have had a brother or cousin that had a son named John or Joseph? I am pretty certain of the name Joseph M Cassidy married to an Alice Cassidy?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions