Search for content in message boards

Charlotte WATSON full blooded Cherokee

Charlotte WATSON full blooded Cherokee

Posted: 3 Aug 2004 1:40AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Aug 2005 5:59PM GMT
Surnames: WATSON, FRANKLIN, McNEELY/McNEELEY, SMITH
I am looking for information on Charlotte WATSON.
She would be my gr gr gr gr grandmother.
I have no information on her other than her name, which I found on her gr granddaughter's Guion Miller Roll application dated 29Jul.1907.
According to the application, my great grandmother " Lucinda P. (McNEELEY) SMITH" stated that she was born 10 miles from Doublin, Perry Co., Alabama on 14Mar.1840.
Her mother was Charlotte Elizabeth (FRANKLIN) McNEELY, who died when she was 2 weeks old.
Charlotte's mother was Mary Ellen (WATSON) FRANKLIN. Mary Ellen's mother was Charlotte WATSON.
Lucinda named her children Mary Luvenia, Francis LeDora, William Wiley, Alonzo, Nannie Ardella.
The McNEELY's moved to TX in the mid 1800's
I believe that the WATSON's may have been from GA
The full appication can be viewed on the McNEELEY message board, subject Miller Indian Roll.

Re: Charlotte WATSON full blooded Cherokee

Posted: 16 Jun 2012 7:58AM GMT
Classification: Bible
Surnames: Watson
My mother's a Watson, so I can tell you a little about the family.

According to family tradition, a Welshman named Watson was bought out of Newgate Prison by Sir James Oglethorpe and brought as an indentured labourer(a slave) to found the colony of Georgia; there, Watson married and started a family, but was unable to gain their freedom.

In the chaos of the Revolution, the family took the opportunity to run away, and joined the Cherokee Nation; they went on the Trail of Tears, but somehow ended up in Missouri either slightly before or after the Civil War.

According to my Great-Great-Grandma Haas, Charlotte Watson was the daughter of a Cherokee Chieftain who married one Lloyd Watson(If I remember right, my Gr-gr-gr-gr-grandfather).

I believe that there is still a branch of the Watsons in Missouri, who consider themselves part of the Cherokee Nation(though the government refuses to recognize their claim); you might try looking them up.

Posted: 18 Jun 2012 9:29PM GMT
There are three lines of Watsons that have been tracked in the US. DNA testing has been done on all three lines. None of the lines show any Indian blood whatsoever. The cross over of the lines have made it difficult to follow documentation that is available on the internet. I am of the Watson line also and have info that can be shared once you have a DNA marker to follow (if my line is yours). The oldest male descendant are the ones that need to be tested. Save yourself many years of mis-information and get tested. If I can be of help in guiding you, please let me know. Pam Watson

Posted: 2 Jul 2012 5:12AM GMT
Surnames: Watson/Pulliam
I am from southern illinois and my grandmother was a Watson, her name was Mary Arminta. She had a brother whose bname was Everett and I believe his wife's name was Mary as well. I am trying to find out info on my fathers family as he never really talked about any of them. I believe that grandma may have came from the Tenn area and that her father was in law enforcement. Any help or info will be greatly appreciated!! Thank you..Kristi P/

Posted: 30 Jul 2012 2:35AM GMT
I descend from two WATSON lines. One on my mom's side which has been traced back to Scotland and settled in North Carolina and later dispersed to other states including Ohio, Tennessee and Arkansas and one on my dad's side that I believe once lived in Georgia before moving to the Carolina's. I have heard stories on both sides that their was Indian relations to our family but so far have not found any verification of it. Would be interested in any information that can be found out about this subject.
gr granddaughter of Jeramiah Watson and gr gr granddaughter of Mary Jane (Watson)Richardson Jordan,
Debbie Waters
per page

Find a board about a specific topic