Search for content in message boards

Location of Wilsons in Burke County

Location of Wilsons in Burke County

Posted: 20 Jan 2012 5:12AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello all,
I have a Wilson family who did reside in Burke Co., NC. in the 1790s until the mid 1830s. On the census pages it does not list the city or township. After many attempts to find out their exact geological location I was abble to finally interpret from the writing on the edge of one census page that they were located in the ninth and tenth regiments ( sometimes called companies as in the military terms ). I have tried every logical way I know of to determine where these regiments/companies are located on the map of Burke Co.. Can or will someone enlighten me how to find the locations on map of these reg/co.s or direct me to a sight that I might find those answers. Thank you for listening.
Regards,
Bob
Haplogroup R1b1c7....R-M222

Re: Location of Wilsons in Burke County

Posted: 20 Jan 2012 2:11PM GMT
Bob wrote re his Wilson family in Burke County 1790s until the mid 1830s:
"I was abble to finally interpret from the writing on the edge of one census page that they were located in the ninth and tenth regiments (sometimes called companies as in the military terms). ... Can or will someone enlighten me how to find the locations on map of these reg/co.s or direct me to a sight that I might find those answers."

The boundaries of census districts were subject to change as the population grew. The North Carolina Room, Burke County Public Library, Morganton, can probably help a bit with geographic locations of the various districts. The library's website is http://www.bcpls.org/ncroom.php. Some years ago, the Burke County Genealogical Society Bulletin ran a series of tax list transcriptions and some of the transcriptions identified the geographic locations.

Kathy

Posted: 20 Jan 2012 2:27PM GMT
The 10th company was what is present day Mitchell and Avery counties, and there have been Wilsons in that area for many, many years.

Posted: 20 Jan 2012 5:05PM GMT
Hi Kathy and Joanne,
Thank you for replyng to my query. Maybe one or both could help with kinda the same problem. I researched the 1780 map of Burke Co.. At that time there was no Yancey co., seperating Burke from the boarder of Tennessee. By 1800 Yancey Co. was added and seperated Burke from Tennessee border and of course made Burke a smaller county along with other border changes such as Rutherford , Avery, Buncombe and others. My point is that in all the changes in boundries from 1800 to about 1840 all the cesus' show my Wilsons in the 10th regiment and still in Burke Co. I am confused. Can either enlighten me ? I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
Bob

Posted: 20 Jan 2012 6:29PM GMT
Bob wrote: "By 1800 Yancey Co. was added and seperated Burke from Tennessee border and of course made Burke a smaller county along with other border changes such as Rutherford , Avery, Buncombe and others. My point is that in all the changes in boundries from 1800 to about 1840 all the censuses show my Wilsons in the 10th regiment and still in Burke Co."

Hi Bob,

This doesn't answer your question, but Yancey was formed in 1833 from parts of Burke and Buncombe County. So, if your Wilsons were enumerated in Burke County in the 1840 census, then the Yancey County formation did not affect them. Were your folks still in Burke County in the 1850 and 1860 censuses? In 1861, Mitchell County was created from parts of Yancey, Watauga, Caldwell, Burke, and McDowell.

Kathy

Posted: 20 Jan 2012 7:02PM GMT
Hi Kathy,
Thank you. Actually I could not find them in the 1840 census. As near as I can tell my Wilsons were in Tennessee from about 1834 untill 1840. Then about 1840 they were found in Missouri were they lived out their lives. My first Joseph who died in 1810 Burke Co. is married to Mary (unknown). They had only proven son( there is more family none proven yet) Joseph L. Wilson who is married to Elizabeth D. Piver. After the death of Joe (1)in 1810 I cannot find the family untill the 1830 cesus where I find Mary and family living next door to son Joe L. and Eliz. In the 10th regiment in Burke Co.. After this census the existance of mother Mary and rest of the family is unknown. I only have the birth dates of Joe L's children to go by since Joe L's family is between cesus' in Tennessee. As I mentioned Joseph L. and his family are found in Missouri by the time of the 1840 census. I hope this all makes some sort of sense to you. Thanks for all your help.

Bob

Posted: 20 Jan 2012 10:35PM GMT
Hi Bob,

I'm a bit concerned about whether there is strong enough evidence that the Joseph and Mary Wilson you are focused upon in Burke County are the parents of your Joseph L. Wilson (born 1808) who migrated to Missouri. I am not questioning your research at all (especially as you are hindered by being in Michigan with limited access to original records). I'm simply raising a caution flag because I have chased many people, collected lots of information about them, and eventually learned I was following the wrong leads. I still hold those folks in great esteem and call them "my former ancestors." Just a bit of humor.

When we discussed your Joseph Wilson family a couple of years ago, your inquiry purpose was to document that Mary Wilson, widow of Joseph Wilson, requested her dower land in 1810. I provided a transcript and citation for her petition to the Burke County Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions along with a few other references from court minutes plus some Burke County deed transactions executed by a Joseph Wilson.

If the above items do apply to the parents of your Joseph L. Wilson, the people involved in laying off his mother Mary Wilson's dower and the administrator of his father Joseph's estate were living in the area that is present-day *McDowell County*.

I am the transcriber of the 1815 Burke County tax list of Captain White's Company (mentioned in another message before you told us which Wilsons you are looking for). The citation is Burke County Tax Lists, box no. CR.014.703.3, North Carolina State Archives. A Joseph Wilson is listed with "[blank] acres cheef [chiefly] ridge land lying on Huneycut Creek joyning of Thos Yongs land with the improvements thereon valued at $100" and another "200 acres of ridge land on the waters of South toe river with no improvements thereon valued at $50." ***The problem here is that your Joseph L. Wilson was only age 7 in 1815 if he was born in 1808, so this tax list item does not seem to belong to your Joseph L. Wilson.***

Did you follow up on my 2010 suggestion to acquire the 1829 Burke County estate papers for a Joseph Wilson? I explained then how 1829 papers could pertain to a man who died before July 1810. Those can be purchased from the North Carolina Room, Burke County Public Library; we aren't talking big bucks (maybe $2-5 or so).

A really interesting and kinda fun exercise is to prepare a documented chronology of events beginning with known facts about the latest generation of the family and working back to earlier generations. When I do this, I sometimes am pleasantly surprised that there is strong evidence on hand and sometimes I am disappointed that I don't yet have the best evidence for proof of descent.

I hope this helps a bit!

Kathy

Posted: 22 Jan 2012 4:39PM GMT
Hi Kathy,
Thank you for your comments, your well needed assistance and your concerns. Through court records,census' and process' of elimination I am quite certain that I have the correct Joseph and Mary. I believe I could convince you of that, if I could show you, all the facts. BUT, alas I do not have one absolute positve identification of this. I do have a fellow researcher Ed White who has been to Morganton Library peronally ( he is researching a William M. Wilson b. about 1790 NC and d. 1930 Missouri who we believe is related to our line, again no positive proof)anyway he is much more skilled than I and I think he also believes I am on the right track. There is an overwelming amount of evidence to the positive. OK, that being I believe you are correct in stating the tax list that a Joseph Wilson you are referring to is not my Joseph. There were three Joseph Wilsons in Burke at that time periode. I do not believe my Joseph would have been on a tax list do to his age. I am going to try to get the estate papers of( Joseph Wilson 1929 )that you mentioned on Monday of this coming week.One more thing , I went back in my files which I have just begun to re-assemble after loosing my hardrive 2 & 1/2 years ago, I found in the USgenWed census 1810 all of the persons mentioned in Mary's petion to the court. They are, Joseph and Thomas Young, Isaac Cox, Charles Hopper and Daniel Brown (JP). All of these persons as you mention were close neighbors of Joseph and Mary. All were listed in the ninth and tenth regiment of Burke Co.. I am in the process trying to find the exact location of these ninth and tenth regiments based on possible land deeds of these people mentioned. I cannot locate a land deed for my Joseph and Mary. One researcher I found said that his family lived on Bucks Creek approximently 4 miles south of Cold Springs and 26 miles NW of Morganton just west of highway 181, which according to this researer was the tenth regiment. According to Dee the tenth regiment was in what is now Mitchel and Avery Cos. So another cunundrum begins. I really honestly appreciate all input from everyone.

" In God We Trust"
R1b1c7+R-M222
Bob, Michigan

Posted: 22 Jan 2012 5:52PM GMT
Bob,

That's really great about your evidence. I hope my comments did not annoy you.

When you request the estates papers, be sure you ask for 1829 and not 1929.

I spent many happy childhood years splashing in Buck Creek. It is in present-day McDowell County (formed 1842 from parts of Burke and Rutherford counties).

I am familiar with the area where Joseph Young, Thomas Young, Isaac Cox, Charles Hopper, and Daniel Brown lived, and I have researched both of those Young men quite a bit. These folks lived in the "Cove Company." Today, that is North Cove Township of McDowell County. An 1808 Burke County tax list for the "Cove Company" shows all of them as residents including Joseph Wilson who is listed with 400 acres and one white poll.

There is no question about the association of Joseph Wilson with the neighbors you mention (the estate and deed references I sent you in 2010 definitely establish that).

Here is a link to a present-day McDowell County townships map showing North Cove Township (you'll need to copy the link and paste it in your browser):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Map_of_McDowell_County_Nor...

And here again is the link I sent a couple of years ago to a watershed map of McDowell County. The map is searchable, so search for Buck Creek. You also can search for Honeycut Creek, Cox Creek, and Pepper Creek, which will take you to North Cove Township on the watershed map.
http://www.ncfloodmaps.com/firm_indexes/pdf/effective/mcdowe...

Posted: 23 Jan 2012 4:51PM GMT
Kathy,
I have contacted and asked for the estate and deeds record (1829). No I am not annoyed that you questioned me about my kinship or lack there of to Joseph and Mary. I have done a lot of homework to try to be as sure as possible without having any absolute proof. Thank you for the links to the maps. Hope sometime you will be able to go back to those childhood days and splash around in Buck Creek.
Bob
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions