Search for content in message boards

Priscilla Berry

Priscilla Berry

Posted: 30 Nov 2000 7:34AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 18 Jun 2002 12:37PM GMT
Surnames: Lowerie, Kearsey
According to my records from other search forms, and by my own family tree, information handed down by my father, you have Sarah Kearsey married to the wrong person. I believe she was married to James Lowerie, he was the first Maj. Judge of Va.

Re: Priscilla Berry

Donald Lowery (View posts)
Posted: 9 Aug 2001 12:13AM GMT
Edited: 13 Aug 2001 4:38PM GMT
Surnames: Lowry, Berry, Kearsey
According to my research, Priscilla Berry was married to the judge. Their son, also James, was married to Sarah Kearsey. They settled in what became Robeson County, NC and are the ancestors of that great multitude of Lowry's which no man can number (with all the variant spellings)

C.C. Lowry (View posts)
Posted: 9 Aug 2001 1:11PM GMT
Edited: 13 Aug 2001 4:39PM GMT
Surnames: Berry
Do you have any information about the Judge, James, himself. Where he was born, how he got to America. I have some things from my family, but I can't find anything in official documents. If you have, please let me know where.

Thanks,

Lowry

Posted: 9 Aug 2001 6:35PM GMT
Edited: 13 Aug 2001 4:40PM GMT
Surnames: Lowry, Berry
Dear Calvin, I do not have much information about the first James Lowry. The information about James and Priscilla came from a website called, Freeafricanamericans.com. It is a web version of a book by Paul Heinegg who claims the Lumbee and several other eastern North Carolina Tribal groups are "Tri-racial isolates" that is to say descendants of a blend of white, african american and indian blood with the emphasis on african-american blood. The theory is highly controversial. Its value for Lowry research is that he uses the Lowry family as an example of a prominent Lumbee family and seeks to prove they were/are a tri-racial family. He includes all sorts of information from both Virginia and North Carolina including transcripts of Robeson County Court records from the period of 1797 to the mid 1830's or so.
I don't know enough about the tri-racial theory to say one way or another what I think of it, but the Lowry information has been very useful to me.
Blessings, Don Lowery

Judge James Lowry

Posted: 9 Aug 2001 7:50PM GMT
Surnames: Lowry
Hi Donald, my father didn't go along with the lumbee movement. His name was Calvin Lowry, he died five years ago, at 94 years of age. I'm sure that their are some people there, Robinson Co., that have african-american blood in them, but the main line of Lowrys did not. He could tell you who did and didn't have. I haven't live there in a long time, I go back to visit my family, mother 87years old, and my sister. My mother use to know also. The old set of Lowrys they didn't have african-american blood. Some of his cousins were to believed to have married mixed individuals. But you can't say, everyone did, because they didn't. I wish I could find out more about Judge James Lowry. My father said, he was the first Judge of Va. Of course, he told me alot more also. There are a number of us, trying to find out more about his past.
Thanks for all of the help that you can give.

C.C. Lowry

James Lowry

Posted: 9 Aug 2001 9:59PM GMT
Edited: 13 Aug 2001 4:44PM GMT
Surnames: Lowry, Kearsey
Hi again,

I agree with you. My family tradition is very, very strong in its insistence that James Lowry and particularly James the second married Tuscarora indians. I think the flaw in Mr. Heinegg's book is the failure to recognize that the Virginians would seize indians from North Carolina and South Carolina to work on their farms and in some cases this led to genuine love matches and intermarriage. Also, James the second lived near a small Tuscarora reservation in North Carolina before he migrated to Robeson County to claim his land grant. He married Sarah (somtimes called Sally and even Celia) Kearsey who had Tuscarora blood.
There is very strong and persistent tradition that James who married Priscilla was a Judge in Virginia. I hope to verify that fact. I found a notation on the Web, if may even have been from you, that Judge Lowry arrived in Virginia around 1666. With that information it may be possible to find out where he landed and from whence he came. The two most common origin points for Lowrys in the new world seems to have been either Galloway in Scotland or Northern Ireland.
Some of the Scottish Lowrys moved to England as well. It is interesting that the Scots Lowrys were Presbyterians but when they migrated to Ireland and England some became Church of England. The equivalent church in the US would be the Episcopal Church. In 1666, if James Lowry the first was a judge, then he would have been required by law to be Church of England. I find that interesting because as an adult I converted to the Episcopal Church and was ordained in that church. Perhaps some ancient ancestral gene pulled me to the place I am today.
Blessings,
Don Lowery

Lowry/Lowery, NC

Posted: 9 Aug 2001 10:04PM GMT
Edited: 13 Aug 2001 4:48PM GMT
Surnames: Lowry, Lowery
Dear C.C.,

One more memory your posting jarred. My Grandfather, Truss Lowery (he changed the spelling from Lowry to Lowery) was not particularly fond of the Lumbee movement either. I never knew why because my dad told me that if I asked it would just annoy him and I didn't want to make him angry. My grandfather lived near Laurinburg, NC. I grew up in Raleigh North Carolina and only went to that area to visit relatives. I still get down from time to time.
Blessings,
Don

Posted: 10 Aug 2001 12:41AM GMT
Surnames: Lowry
When I have more time, I will go into it in more detail. Why don't we just e-mail each other? I live in, out side of St. Louis. My e-mail address is calow1@aol.com. There were alot of the Lowrys, that didn't like the lumbee thing at all. My day would get mad. It had to do alot with money. You know, from the gov. I guess you could have firgured that out. I don't remember her name, the woman that wrote a book, that he got most of his information from, my father said, don't believe half the things she said. She sure, wasn't going to paint the Lowrys in a good light, after HenryB. Lowry. Yes, I know what you mean, I can go the family grave yard, and see all kinds of spellings of your last name.
Well, I have to run. Take care.

C.C.

Posted: 17 Jun 2002 3:56AM GMT
Edited: 20 Jun 2002 5:46PM GMT
Surnames: Lowry, Lowrie
pls send me all info on the family tree for james lowrie. my grandfather was billy lowry, bro of calvin lowry. i had a lot of info but it was destroyed in a home fire. my home address is 508 colony st. chadborn, n.c. 28431. thank you!

Bruce Barton (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jun 2004 6:50PM GMT
Edited: 30 Jun 2004 2:34AM GMT
Surnames: Lowry, Berry

Am interested in the Lowrys from Robeson County, North Carolina. The famous Indian Hero (from the Indian perspective) Henry Berry Lowry descends from the Virginia Lowrys. and the Indians from Robeson County, NC were incorrectly referred to as "free persons of color" by the existing racist goverment in the Civil War era.

Am interested in hearing from those with information pertinant to a book I am writing tentatively entitled "Looking for Henry Lowry."

thanks.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic