Search for content in message boards

Anne Meriweather married Robert Bolling in VA

Anne Meriweather married Robert Bolling in VA

Posted: 20 Mar 2004 1:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Mar 2005 12:04AM GMT
Surnames: Bolling, Tabb, Peyton, Stith...
Seeking any information on Anne Meriweather who married Robert Bolling of Petersburg VA.

Re: Anne Meriweather married Robert Bolling in VA

Millie (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jul 2006 12:21AM GMT
Robert Bolling, B 26 Dec 1646, married Ann Meriweather Stith, B about 1665. They were married in 1681 in Kippax, Charles City, VA. Ann was Robert's second wife. His first wife was Jane Rolfe, they had one child, John Bolling.

Posted: 6 Jul 2006 3:37AM GMT
Edited: 16 Nov 2006 6:05PM GMT
Surnames: Meriwether Meriweather Bolling
The Meriwether Society has no information on a marriage of an Anne Meriweather to a Robert Bolling. Can you provide a date range of when these folks lived and approximate marriage date?

Posted: 6 Jul 2006 3:43AM GMT
Edited: 16 Nov 2006 6:05PM GMT
Surnames: Meriwether Meriweather Bolling Stith Parsons
The Meriwether Society has information that Robert Bolling's second wife was Anne Stith, daughter of Maj. John Drury Stith and Jane Gregory Parsons. It is almost certain that her middle name was not Meriweather, but we would be very interested in knowing the source for this assertion. The Meriwether Society knows of no connection between the Stith, Parsons, and Meriwether families in the early to mid 1600s that would have resulted in her middle name being Meriwether/Meriweather.

margie (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jul 2006 8:17PM GMT
Somewhere there are papers where one of the sons refers to his mother as Anne Meriweather

margie (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jul 2006 8:18PM GMT
I'm afraid I'm not a professional genealogist - this is just a hobby for me. I believe it may be in the law books of Robert Bolling which are at the Historical society in Richmond that one of the sons refers to his mother as Anne Merriweather.

Posted: 14 Oct 2012 6:57PM GMT
I am glad to find this thread. It is very confusing with duplicate wives and children, and I am glad to understand the marriages now, so will be able to get it right. I'm new at this, too. Is there a way to have that record entered into ancestry.com, like they do for graves & memorials? Also, has anyone completed the tree out to Charlemagne? I found the link, and posted it. Order of the Crown of Charlemagne in the US. :) Not bad for a newby....

Posted: 12 Jul 2014 12:45PM GMT
Edited: 16 Aug 2014 4:19AM GMT
An old post but the confusion over the Anne Meriweather/Robert Bolling MISINFORMATION still exist:

Note: Anne Stith daughter of John Stith/Jane Parsons married Col. Robert Bolling. Their SON Drury married Elizabeth MERIWEATHER, thus becoming Elizabeth Meriweather Bolling!! ANNE MERIWEATHER STITH DOES NOT EXIST IN THIS LINEAGE!!! Please see further evidence by response of the Meriweather Society.
~CL Hileman

Posted: 13 Aug 2014 4:59PM GMT
Since most of my research is around Secretaries of War George W Randolph who was Thomas Jefferson's grandson and Edwin M Stanton who was married to Pittsburgh socialite Ellen Hutchison, I have a question.

Ellen Hutchison, by records from writer Benjamin P Thomas in his book titled STANTON, he said on page 68 that Ellen Hutchison was a direct descendent of Meriwether Lewis.

How would Ann Meriwether Bolling be connected to Meriwether Lewis and to Fielding Lewis who married President George Washington's sister Betty? Would any of these people know Thomas Jefferson and/or Meriwether Lewis?

Posted: 13 Aug 2014 7:13PM GMT
Edited: 13 Aug 2014 7:37PM GMT
Surnames: Hutchison Meriwether Lewis Stanton Bolling
As previously stated, it was Anne Stith who married Robert Bolling. Their son, Drury, married Elizabeth Meriwether, daughter of Francis Meriwether and Mary Bathurst. Elizabeth (Meriwether) Bolling (~1699-~1730) and Capt. Meriwether Lewis (1774-1809) are first cousins twice removed.

As for your continued assertions that Ellen (Hutchison) Stanton was a direct descendant of Capt. Meriwether Lewis, the known facts do not support this.

According to my preliminary research, Ellen Marie Hutchison was born 24 Sep 1830 in Pittsburg, the daughter of Lewis Hutchison and Eleanor Adams.

Lewis Hutchison was born 29 Feb 1792 in Kentucky, the son of William Hutchison and Margaret Hickman (1772-1844). Eleanor Adams was born abt 1800 in Ireland.

Capt. Meriwether Lewis was born 18 Aug 1774 in Albemarle County, Virginia, the son of William Lewis and Lucy Meriwether. He died, unmarried, 11 Oct 1809.

As you can see, it is physically impossible for Ellen Hutchison to be a “direct descendant” of Capt. Meriwether Lewis. First, it is documented that he never married and had no children. Second, at the time of Ellen’s birth, he had been dead 21 years, so she is not his daughter. Third, when Lewis Hutchison was born in 1792 in Kentucky to William and Margaret Hutchison, Meriwether Lewis was 17 years old and living in Virginia, so Lewis Hutchison is not his son and neither William nor Margaret could be his child.

So we can conclude that in fact Benjamin P Thomas was incorrect when he allegedly stated that Ellen Hutchison was a direct descendant of Capt. Meriwether Lewis. I have been unable to find any evidence that Ellen is related to Capt. Meriwether Lewis in any way.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic