Search for content in message boards

Oliver YDNA

Oliver YDNA

Posted: 12 Dec 2009 11:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Oliver
I have all been saddened and somewhat shocked by the sudden death of Willis Pat Oliver , he did a lot of research on his line of Olivers and persuaded other male Olivers to have the YDNA test done ,in fact he persuaded me to ask one of my brothers to have it done ,at that time I had 5 brothers , I now have only three, it is very important if you are a direct male descendant of an Oliver man to have this test done, it will help you rule out a lot of people you have been GUESSING about and may lead you to relatives you did not know you had. Women if you are an Oliver by birth , please persuade at least one of your brothers to be tested . I thank you all for your time, Merry Christmas to you all , Jo Oliver Mesplay

Re: Oliver YDNA

Posted: 9 Feb 2010 4:16PM GMT
This morning I noticed that the excellent website that was mounted by the late Willis Patrick Oliver on the Oliver Y-DNA Project at FTDNA is no longer available. This was a private webpage he mounted and I assume that with his passing, it was not renewed.

Although I am the current administrator of this project, I did not have access to his webpage because it was private.

Please see http://www.familytreedna.com/public/oliverDNA/default.aspx for the current webpage about the Oliver Y DNA project at FTDNA. There are additional pages which are on a server which I rent space on about specific family groups that match within this project. See the links on the main homepage.

Cordially,

Sheila Schmutz

Posted: 28 May 2010 9:16PM GMT
Father's Day will be celebrated in a few weeks in North America and is just passed in some European countries.

A great way to honor your father is to have his DNA tested and to obtain his geneaological information.

The Oliver Y DNA project at FTDNA has 130 members, about 110 of whom are Oliver men or their sponsors. There are 14 related groups of Oliver families represented and about 20 Oliver men who are the sole representatives of other families.

Please see http://www.familytreedna.com/public/oliverDNA/default.aspx for more information or email me.

Cordially,

Sheila Schmutz
sheila.schmutz@usask.ca

Posted: 10 Jul 2010 10:45PM GMT
Surnames: Oliver, Oliphant
Our latest Oliver that was DNA tested hails from the Oliver family that lived in Allegheny Co, PA (near Pittsburgh) from at least 1850. William H. Oliver and his father William Oliver both lived there with their families. If anyone has any information on relatives, concurrent or ancestors, of this family we’d be interested.
He matches a group of Oliphant men, some of whom descend from a Duncan Oliphant who immigrated from Scotland to NY and then Hunterdon Co, NJ in the early 1700s.
See ttp://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~gaoliver/OliverOliphant15.html for more details on this group.

This is a clear case of the surname of Oliver being related to the surname Oliphant!

Cordially,

Sheila Schmutz

Posted: 11 Jul 2010 9:59AM GMT
Congratulations. I wish we could do DNA on our Olivers but it was my mothers maiden name and she had no brothers. I have been at brick wall trying to learn about my 3 great grandfathers parents and this would help.

I just recently read about William Olver in Allegany PA. It caught my eye because I was researching Olivers from Lancaster County. I think it may have been through a history I found on google book search. You might try a search for William H. Oliver from google or go to google books to search by name or history of Allegany.

Good luck
Marilyn

Posted: 11 Jul 2010 1:08PM GMT
Hi Marilyn, have you tried doing the dna to research your maternal Oliver's,? just a thought ,but it may be of some help to help you connect to relation of her Oliver line. Even tho the men only carries the YDNA , we all carry genes from our mom also. Makes you kinda wonder what else will be discovered on this big family through research and dna. Jo

Posted: 11 Jul 2010 1:17PM GMT
Hi -

Thanks for writing! How does this work? I have done DNA through National Geographic a few years ago but it was not detailed by specific family.

I noticed we have corresponded some before regarding Olivers of Virginia. You linked me to the page you had done.

Thanks again
Marilyn

Posted: 11 Jul 2010 3:13PM GMT
Hi Marilyn,

Your 12 marker genographic Y DNA test can be converted into membership in the appropriate Surname project of FTDNA. You and the man who did that test would then get emails of matches. The first 12 markers in the Y series is best for genographic (country of origin) information, but can be helpful with genealogy, especially if combined with the 13-25 set.

mtDNA is not supported yet for genealogy. It's harder to interpret from mother to mother and varies less so you don't really get to a certain family.

Perhaps Jo meant the new test that FTDNA and other companies are offering to find "cousins". Women can take that test but I think it is especially helpful to people who were adopted. The Family Surname Administrators have not been provided with examples of how it has been used successfully yet for genealogy. One Oliver has inquired about it, but none have ordered it yet.

Cordially,

Sheila

Posted: 12 Jul 2010 3:29AM GMT
Hi Sheila -

Thanks for writing. I am afraid most of what you said is Greek to me. Do you mean I can use the DNA test I did with National Geographic? I do not know what the 12 marker means. Can you tell me someone to contact?
Thanks again
Marilyn
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions