Search for content in message boards

Hercules POWDER Company *

Hercules POWDER Company *

Posted: 11 Dec 2007 10:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: SIMON
Prior message is an error . . . this was "a powder plant" and was located at or near Webb City, MO or perhaps inbetween Carthage and Webb City, MO. I'm seeking info on the explosion that occurred there some time between 1914 and 1918. My great uncle, Harry Simon, was an employee and injured in this explosion.

Re: Hercules POWDER Company

Posted: 12 Dec 2007 2:20PM GMT
Surnames: Logsdon, Flood, Hitchcock, Christman, Garrison, Nebelsick, Hoge, Studyvin
I am interested in this thread also. This is from my g-grandmother's obit in 1939. Her name was Effie Lorraine (Logsdon) Flood.

"Pallbearers, all employes(sic) at the Hercules powder plant, where a son, Elga Flood, is employed, were Edwin Hitchcock, James Christman, Hugh Garrison, Desmond Nebelsick, Cecil Hoge and Archie Studyvin."

Posted: 13 Dec 2007 4:14PM GMT
Surnames: Logsdon
Hi Robert, Just keep watching my post and perhaps some one else will reply. That last name Logsdon sounds familiar to me but simply can't "place it" right now. Perhaps it will come to me at some point. My great uncle worked for this plant for many years until he was injured, but I'm not even certain of its EXACT location. Do you know???

Posted: 13 Dec 2007 4:24PM GMT
Hercules Powder Plant now Dyno Noble is located between Carthage and Webb City on HH Hwy. It actually blew up in July of 1966. Maybe it exploded in 1918 but I am not for sure. My father in law retired from there abt 19 years ago after working there 40 years Started working there in 1946. In fact he is sitting here now and he said at that time period it was Independent Powder Co. Atlas and Hercules were owned by Dupont and then was split into two different Co's. He does recall a Hercules exploding in the early 1900's but not around this area but in California. I was within 1 1/2 miles from the explosion in 1966. It lifted my car up on two wheels. That
was an unforgettable day in Carthage Mo.
As far as Logsdon's what is it you are lookin for? Again, we know the Logsdon family and some are still living in this area. Sorry that this message was sent to the Jasper Co mailing list only the first time and not to the message board.

Posted: 13 Dec 2007 5:28PM GMT
My gg-grandfather was Shafer Logsdon (1859-1927). He had 9 girls.

Posted: 13 Dec 2007 7:26PM GMT
My Father in Law probably knows them. He is now 84 yers old. They were neighbors to a Logsdon family. I knew Dick Logsdon and Terry Logsdon abt my age close to 60. If I think of it I will ask him abt your Logsdon Family and if he knew them. Did the father work at Hercules?

Posted: 13 Dec 2007 9:03PM GMT
Surnames: Logsdon, Flood, Louellen, Boyer, Gillespe, Druhot, Kunze, Baker
Shafer didn't work at Hercules, he was a farmer, but his grandson, Elga Flood (1910-1993) did. I don't know how long or what years, except 1939. If Thomas Flood, Elga's father, worked there, it wasn't very long. He never worked anywhere very long. Shafer's daughters were:
Gertrude Lee (Louellen) LOGSDON b: 7 Jun 1880 died at 1 year
Agnes Priscilla LOGSDON b: 20 Sep 1881 married Charles Boyer
Mildred May LOGSDON b: 28 May 1884 married 4 times, no kids
Rosalie LOGSDON b: 22 May 1886 died at 3 years
Effie Lorraine LOGSDON b: 29 Mar 1888 Married Thomas Flood (my g-grandparents)
Emoline LOGSDON b: 20 May 1891 married Guy Gillespe
Edna Elizabeth LOGSDON b: 12 Sep 1893
Myra Etta LOGSDON b: 10 Aug 1898 married George Stanley Druhot
Mary Lucille LOGSDON b: 5 Sep 1901 married William Kunze
Velma Irene LOGSDON b: 24 Sep 1906 Louis Merrell Baker

Posted: 14 Dec 2007 3:31AM GMT
I live in Joplin and the Hercules plant was between Joplin and Carthage on AA hwy...I remember it blowing up, maiing a huge explosion...It's sister plant, Atlas, was next door and was working until a few years ago..I used to work there, as an industrial Nurse, in 1990's...

Posted: 14 Dec 2007 7:55AM GMT
Surnames: SIMON
Does your father in law remember a HARRY SIMON, often called DICK SIMON. He lived in Carterville, Joplin, Webb City and Carthage areas, died in 1990, buried at Mt Hope Cemetery. Second wife was Ida. He worked for this powder plant in the early 1920s, was burned VERY badly in an explosion at this plant and spent months recovering. His face had terrible scars and he had many surgeries. I have a photo of him taken after the accident which shows how badly he was hurt and healed over. I don't think he was hurt in the explosion in 1966, was way before that time period.

Posted: 14 Dec 2007 3:26PM GMT
I have a series of photo postcards from that era that I believe were taken near Carthage. An acid storage tank exploded. One of the postcards reads: "Several window lights in Carthage, Webb City and surrounding country were broken and it was distinctly heard for 40 miles." The back of the posted photo reads: "This is the mix house some 600 feet from nitration house. 4 men were at work in this building at the time of explosion, but none hurt." If anyone is interested in seeing the other photos, I will be glad to post them.
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic