Search for content in message boards

Beaver Creek

Beaver Creek

Elaine Lanagley (View posts)
Posted: 28 Nov 2006 9:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 Nov 2010 12:38AM GMT
Can anyone tell me where Beaver Creek is located. Perhaps the nearest town now. I am looking for the surname White that may have been in that area in 1839. I am from Louisiana but I do not know anything about that area. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Beaver Creek

Elaine Langley (View posts)
Posted: 28 Nov 2006 9:39PM GMT
That should be Elaine Langley. Sorry for typo

Posted: 13 Dec 2006 4:18PM GMT
Elaine,

If you are referring to Beaver Creek in East Feliciana Parish, there is one just down the hill from my house. It runs East/West, about 4 miles north of Jackson, Louisiana, and south of Wilson, Louisiana. Need help looking for something there?

Posted: 29 Nov 2010 6:00PM GMT
Surnames: White, Campbell
Elaine,
I realize this is an old post, and I hope you get it and it helps. I am not sure about the Beaver Creek around Jackson, but I am aware of the Beaver Creek in the Northeast corner of East Feliciana Parish. Beaver Creek is located just north of Felixville and Hwy 432. Beaver Creek ties into the Amite at the Northeast portion of the parish. Beaver Creek Rd. also crosses Beaver Creek. I am also researching the Whites in East Feliciana, they are my relatives. The only problem I have encountered is that according to the Clerk of Court's office in Clinton, there were 3 families of White's that all migrated to East Feliciana around the same time from mostly Darlington County, South Carolina. In the 1820 Federal Census of Feliciana, Beaver Creek, there are 2 White's listed as head of households: 1)John White who had 10 males & 4 females living in his household 2)Joseph White who had 5 males & 4 females living in his household and also lived next door to John.
I live in Clinton. I have purchased a Parish map from the Police Jury, which has helped greatly with research. It shows roads, creeks, and the property boundaries from the original 1828 Land Survey by the GLO. If you live in Baton Rouge, you can purchase them at Baton Rouge Blueprint on Goodwood. My ancestors that I'm still searching for more info on are Green B.(Berry) White and William & Margaret Campbell.
According to the Land Survey records, There is a John White that owned land in section #88, this section is located south of Hwy 432. Joseph White owned land in section #64 which is north of Hwy 422 on the MS. border at the end of Dalton Dunn Lane. These "sections" can still be seen in the background of current topographic quad maps, these are usu. the reddish brown numbers in the background of the map. you can also see the majority of the original property lines represented by broken red lines.
I know this is a lengthy reply, but I hope it helps.
Sincerely,
Brad J. DeFranceschi

Posted: 30 Jan 2011 6:22AM GMT
Surnames: White johns Harrell brian
Brad,
I dont see a reply. I have been trying to Learn of the same family, especially hattie white and mehetabei Harrell who was widow of Levi harrell, having died at battle of New Orleans, so the story goes, but how, buried where, documents, court, or church records

Thanks
Daniel Perkins
VeazeyCarmen@aol.com

Ps, the beaver creek of interest is the one, you mention, on up on amite co line, going to olio or centerville ms

Posted: 2 Dec 2011 11:32AM GMT
Beaver Creek is where I grew up it's just on the Louisiana/Mississippi line. If you are coming out of Town down by the court house going north (the street in front of the temporary clerk of court office) keep going about 5 miles out of town. (it been years, sorry I only know land mark) There is a store called Martha and Jimmy's turn down that road in front of it....go down the road about 2miles. Your going to pass 4 bridges, Then about 1/4 of a mile on the right you will see BEAVER CREEK RD. It is a dirt road still today. About 2 miles down in there you will see Beaver Creek. I took my kids thru there coming the back way from Flelixville they were scream for me to get off the bridge it was the funnies thing ever, of course the bridge is wooden with planks missing. (it was really bad) My family know EVERYONE in the area...we moved to that section of Clinton in the late 60's. ( I've traced my family to 7-8th ward back to 1830's) (but I'm stuck in slavery's brick wall) Were your Whites black or white? I have some on my tree from that time they are Dolly and Joseph.

And sorry if this is not were u were looking for, I wish you luck.

Posted: 28 Mar 2012 9:49PM GMT
Surnames: Harrell, White, Smith, Sagely, Morgan
Daniel,
I found a Mahetabel Harrell wife of Eli White, died May 3 1889, aged 74yrs 6 months and 11 days.

Eli White died May 6 1888 aged 80 years 10 months and 2 days.

Both buried in the 8th Ward East Feliciana in what is listed as the Jackson-White Cemetery.

This is around the Beaver Creek area you have talked about. I realize the last names are a little different than in your previous reply.

I have a book from 1970 by Mary Ann Smith Sagely of all the cemetery inscriptions of East Feliciana Parish at that time.

John White b.18 Feb 1780 in SC d. 9 Apr 1843 husband of Lydia Morgan are also buried in this same cemetery.

Please let me know if you would like more info or if this helps.
Thanks,
Brad

Posted: 28 Mar 2012 9:56PM GMT
Surnames: White
Been down that bridge as well, and I bet the kids screaming was funny! The White in my line is Green Berry White, caucasian. I have them in East Feliciana then moved down the road to the Greenwell Springs area.
Thanks,
Brad

Posted: 8 Apr 2012 3:32AM GMT
Do you have any information on William Locker and Margaret Campbell ?

Thanks,

Lionel

Posted: 8 Apr 2012 8:29PM GMT
Surnames: Campbell
Lionel,
Unfortunately, I have not found William Locker or Margaret Campbell's gravesites. Believe me, I have looked through the book. I beleive they both died in East Feliciana parish, esp. William Locker, but I can find no grave site...yet. This book was printed in 1970, so it's still almost 140 years after William's death. In that time frame, in this area, there's no telling how many hurricanes, other storms, or even man-caused destruction could have occured. They may have been buried in an unmarked grave, although I hope not. I will keep searching. Wish me luck.
I do know that they were both members of the Hepzibah Church here in East Feliciana. I also have a book on the minutes of the Hepzibah Church meetings, which they are both mentioned in. The Church is now gone and I have searched the cemetery as well and found nothing. My search continues.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions