Search for content in message boards

Ancestors of the Tew Family from England

Ancestors of the Tew Family from England

Posted: 4 Jun 2009 1:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Tew
I am Barrie Tew from England, at present I am in the process of building a family Tree to my knowledge most of the family that I am aware of came from the Warwickshire Area, of the Midlands, England. but I have been led to believe that there was part of the family that may have Migrated to the USA. I would appreciate any information that would assist me in this connection My Gx2 Grandfather was John Tew b.1823-1902, his father was Benjamin Tew, b. 1739, In the Bulkington Area Of Warwickshire, I have details on most of the family in England.

Re: Ancestors of the Tew Family from England

Posted: 5 Jun 2009 12:54PM GMT
when did the family come to USA? Name of wife? First tew's came to USA in 1600's and were mariners living in RI, MA CT. Some moved south to North carolina, Alabama areas.
Do you have names of siblings etc. of John? If a starting date is found they may be traced through the census records after 1850 when all members of household are listed.

1891 England Census
Census & Voter Lists

Name: John Tew
Spouse: Emma
Birth: abt 1825 - city, Warwickshire, England
Residence: 1891 - township, city, Warwickshire, England

Posted: 13 Jun 2009 6:49PM GMT
Hi! We are the Tew's from Mississippi. Our ancestors are from England. We're related to Thomas Tew, a pirate from England in the 1600s, that came to America. Are you related to him too?

Posted: 14 Jun 2009 1:53PM GMT
Hi:
Not a Tew relative but the information is interesting. In the past i did a lot of Tew research in New England for a friend.

Posted: 16 Jun 2009 9:55PM GMT
Thomas Tew came to Rhode Island from Maidford, Northamptonshire, England in 1640 where he started his family. so perhaps there is some relation.

Posted: 17 Jun 2009 9:16AM GMT
Surnames: Tew
Hi There, Many thanks for your prompt reply, Funny thing is, I have had this name Thomas Tew the pirate, metioned to me before, ? Is there any more info you could let me have to pursue this line, I would very much appreciate it

Posted: 24 Jun 2009 5:52AM GMT
Surnames: Tew, Buckingham, Stokes
Hello,

I have a great grandmother, Winifred Tew who was born in Buckingham, England on 10/31/1888. I am a bit confused by the details as I am told her fathers name was Frederick Buckingham and her mother's name was Annise Stokes. Winifred Tew traveled to Canada at some point where she married a George Buckingham and had two daughters before moving to Washington during the 1920's. Could this possibly be of any relations to the Tew family line you are looking for.

I do wonder if Frederick Buckingham could have possibly been a step father since my great grandmother's reason for moving to Canada was to take care of siblings. I have also heard that she came to Canada with Geroge, I am unclear as to where and when they married.

Please let me know, this is a gab in our family tree. Thank you.

Posted: 28 Jun 2009 12:00AM GMT
Hello,
I am a decedent of the Buckingham (Gawcott) Tew's and would be more than happy to share information with you.
Michael Tew

Posted: 28 Jun 2009 12:09AM GMT
Hi Barrie,
My Mother-in-Law's hairdresser is a decedent of a Warwickshire branch of the Tew family. They are members of the LDS church and have information on their family history. I could try to put you in touch if you like.
Michael Tew

Posted: 28 Jun 2009 11:31AM GMT
Hi Michael, many thanks, what a lovely thought, thank you.
I would love to receive any information on the Warwickshire Tew's, you never know, there could be a connection, and if yourself or your Mother-in - Law's Hairdresser requires any information on the Tew's that I have , you are very welcome. in case you would rather get in touch direct, I will send you my Email address, thanks again, very much appreciated, I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Barrie Tew

Email : barrytew@sky.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions