Search for content in message boards

William McSwain enlisted in 1782,Captain Brevard's company of the Tenth Regiment

William McSwain enlisted in 1782,Captain Brevard's company of the Tenth Regiment

James Stone (View posts)
Posted: 26 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: McSwain
William McSwain enlisted in 1782 while living in Tryon County, NC, and
served as private in Captain Brevard's company of the Tenth Regiment, NC
Continental Line, length of service eighteen months.
Born in 1762 to David McSwain Sr. and Susanna Hamrick in Cleveland Co NC.
Died Dec. 10th, 1838 in Rutherford Co., buried in the "McSwain Burying
Ground," Mt. Sinai Church, Shelby NC. First spouse is Judith Moore, with
whom he had twelve children. Judith died in 1831. He married Elizabeth in 1831.
In 1855 his widow, Elizabeth, was 76 years old and living in Cleveland Co
NC. She was allowed pension and bounty land on account of his service.

Source, Memorial Branch, War Department letter dated October 15, 1931 for
the military and pension application information.

I have joined the Sons of the American Revolution based upon the service
of William McSwain, and am currently working on "supplementals."

James Stone
jstone@rmci.net
2376 East Mugo Street
Boise, ID 83716-6689
(208) 331-3617

William McSwain

Posted: 6 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 26 Jun 2001 5:39PM GMT
Surnames: MCSWAIN
Regarding my posting of William McSwain information, note that he was the son of David McSwain JR (instead of SR). Also note that my email address has changed to jandsstone@earthlink.net.

10th Reg't

ryan (View posts)
Posted: 16 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Dec 2003 10:03PM GMT
Surnames: i need information on the roster on the r, of the regiment, a private henry porch
need info on the roster 4 the 10th regiment n.c.
Posted: 19 May 2002 6:25AM GMT
Edited: 3 Nov 2002 1:09AM GMT
Was Henry Porch a resident of Whitley Co. KY? I don't have time to check but have you posted queries on the Whitley Co. and Knox Co. KY message boards? If not, you might want to do so. (I believe the Porch in Whitley Co. was named Henry. Will be glad to check for you.) If this sounds familiar, let me know via my email. I'm not a Porch.

Re: William McSwain enlisted in 1782,Captain Brevard's company of the Tenth Regiment

Posted: 9 Feb 2010 11:11PM GMT
Surnames: McSwain, Moore, Hamrick
Good evening

Elizabeth Jane McSwain is my 3g grandmother, married to James Christmas Moore. I have her father as William McSwain married to Judith Moore. This William McSwain born 1762 in MD—evidently is the one you mention in your comments. You have his mother as Susanna Hamrick.

I have been researching the internet and I know that there is confusion and misleading information; but it also is an excellent place to start. Do you have any documentation for this relationship? Also how far back can you go with this line? That is if you don’t mind sharing with me.

Thanks for any guidance you can give me.

Re: William McSwain enlisted in 1782,Captain Brevard's company of the Tenth Regiment

Posted: 19 May 2012 9:08PM GMT
I don't have any more information about William McSwain, but was wondering if there are any good sources for info about James Christmas Moore's birthplace. He is my 3rd great grandfather. Some say Orange County NC and some say Rutherford County NC. Not sure if this is because of the division of counties to form new counties or just misinformation. Thanks in advance for any info you might have.

Posted: 27 May 2012 1:24AM GMT
I don't have any more information about William McSwain, but was wondering if there are any good sources for info about James Christmas Moore's birthplace. He is my 3rd great grandfather. Some say Orange County NC and some say Rutherford County NC. Not sure if this is because of the division of counties to form new counties or just misinformation. Thanks in advance for any info you might have. I sent this same query before but forgot to give my email address. Please use my direct email [dmoore5@triad.rr.com] if you will because I check my email more often than I do this message board.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions