Search for content in message boards

Merchant Marine's

Merchant Marine's

Posted: 25 Jul 2011 3:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: HALVORSEN
Hello,
I am searching for any merchant marine information that might pertain to my paternal grandfather....Halfton August Halvorsen who born and lived in Bergen Norway

I have been told he became a merchant marine once he left Norway, when he was 16 years old (that would of been around the year of 1905 to approximately 1914.)

I was told he came to America aboard a ship that docked in New Orleans....He married my grandmother approximately 1913..That is as much as I know....

Does anyone have any information that would help me find additional information on my maternal grandfathers family....

Re: Merchant Marine's

Posted: 30 Jul 2011 10:44PM GMT
I checked the 1930 Census of Merchant Seamen, and I found several records for Haakon Halverson.

They ("Haakon" and "Halfton") sound similar, but that's all that came up in the search. Haakon has a load of other matches, mostly port arrival.

Hope it helps!

Posted: 31 Jul 2011 11:15PM GMT
Oh whow.....
Since I am very new to this ancestry stuff, how did you check that info?

I really do appreciate your assistance. Would that of had information related to merchant marines approximately 1895-1910? It had to be in that time frame that my grandfather was in the merchant marines.

Nice to meet you,

Cherylin E. Halvorsen

Posted: 1 Aug 2011 9:50PM GMT
I sent you a message last night - let me know if you didn't get it.

Posted: 2 Aug 2011 1:04AM GMT
I received a message telling me about another name. Since I am really new to ancestry.com, I am not sure if I responded the right way....however, I did respond to your orginal msg... Did you send a 2nd msg? I believe I said the year my grandfather would of been in the merchant marines was from about 1905-1912..

Thank you so much for the info

Cherylin E. Halvorsen

Posted: 2 Aug 2011 1:04AM GMT
I received a message telling me about another name. Since I am really new to ancestry.com, I am not sure if I responded the right way....however, I did respond to your orginal msg... Did you send a 2nd msg? I believe I said the year my grandfather would of been in the merchant marines was from about 1905-1912..

Thank you so much for the info

Cherylin E. Halvorsen

Posted: 3 Aug 2011 4:30AM GMT
I didn't get a message

Posted: 11 Aug 2011 7:06PM GMT
OK...sorry about that...I am still learning how to use this system

Posted: 11 Oct 2011 7:06PM GMT
Surnames: Forster
Hi, This may be a stretch, but I think there is a chance that my Grandfather Raymond Charles Forster (1908 - 1988) may have served in the Merchant Marines (I'm basing this on a vague memory of a anchor tattoo on the inside of his forearm...doesn't seem to have been in the navy) I noticed you referenced a 1930 Census of Merchant Seaman and wondered if you could point me in the direction of that or any other old records for the American Merchant Marines. Many thanks in advance! Robin

Posted: 11 Oct 2011 7:06PM GMT
Surnames: Forster
Hi, This may be a stretch, but I think there is a chance that my Grandfather Raymond Charles Forster (1908 - 1988) may have served in the Merchant Marines (I'm basing this on a vague memory of a anchor tattoo on the inside of his forearm...doesn't seem to have been in the navy) I noticed you referenced a 1930 Census of Merchant Seaman and wondered if you could point me in the direction of that or any other old records for the American Merchant Marines. Many thanks in advance! Robin
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions