Search for content in message boards

Bennett's Creek Indians 1700-1782

Bennett's Creek Indians 1700-1782

Janet Foster (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jul 2003 2:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
Would be interested to know if anyone is researching or has researched the Bennett members of the Chowan Tribe. Information at this site: http://www.freeafricanamericans.com, states that they intermarried with whites and free African Americans and ceased to be as a tribe about 1782.

James, James Jr. and Amos Bennett were called "Bennett's Creek Indians" when they sold land in 1763, Chowan County, North Carolina

Also mentioned were George, Joseph, an Indian boy called "Josiah" and women; Nancy, Rachel, and Esther listed as heads of households "other free" in early census records

James Bennett and John Robins were listed as chief men of the Chowan Tribe when they sold 300 acres of Indian land proved by deed in Gates County 1758.

Looking for any information like; who they married, where they went, any other names, and etc.

Re: Bennett's Creek Indians 1700-1782

Posted: 28 Jul 2003 6:42PM GMT
Edited: 20 Jul 2004 2:18PM GMT
I am researching a Bennett connection to the Indians. I tried to click on the website you posted but was unable to connect.
Is that the only Indian tribe you have found the Bennetts connected to?
If you find any other sites please let me know.
Thanx
Nannette Bennett
ealresgurl@aol.com

Janet Foster (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jul 2003 1:09AM GMT
Nannette,

If the link does not work, try typing it in the url.

http://www.freeafricanamericans.com

Then click on......
Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina
Foreword by historian Ira Berlin

Then click on........
"Bailey-Berry" (Bailey, Baine, Baker, Balkham, Ball, Baltrip, Bannister, Banks, Barber, Bartly/Bartlett, Bass, Bates, Battles, Bazden, Bazmore, Beckett, Bee, Bell, Bennett, Berry)

Information on Bennett is near the end of page.

Janet

Posted: 1 Aug 2003 12:27AM GMT
I don't know if you can help me, but I have been trying to track what Indian tribe my family is....My mamaw's mother was full blood indian and my papaw's mother was too. My Papaw is Tommie Leon Bennett from Saltillo Texas. Can you give any insight?

Posted: 1 Aug 2003 2:03AM GMT
Edited: 16 Aug 2005 12:22AM GMT
Surnames: BENNETT, GROOM, BRANTLEY, MIDDLETON
I don't know if this will help but the Bennett Creek Indiaans of NC were Chowanoc

(Meaning in Algonquian "(people) at the south.")

Connections.—The Chowanoc belonged to the Algonquian linguistic family and were evidently most nearly allied to the other North Carolina Algonquians.

Location.—On Chowan River about the junction of Meherrin
and Blackwater Rivers.

Villages:
Maraton, on the east bank of Chowan River in Chowan County.
Ohanoak, on the west side of Chowan River not far below Nottoway River probably in Hertford County.
Catoking, (probably) near Gatesville, in Gates County.
Metocaum, on Chowan River in the present Bertie County.
Ramushonok, apparently between the Meherrin and Nottoway Rivers in Hertford County.

History.—In 1584-85, when first known to Europeans, the Chowanoc were the leading tribe in northeastern North Carolina. In 1663 they entered into a treaty with the English by which they submitted to the English Crown, but they violated this in 1675 and after a year of warfare were compelled to confine themselves to a reservation on Bennett's Creek which became reduced by 1707 from 12 square miles to 6. They sided with the colonists in the Tuscarora War, and at about the same time were visited by a Church of England missionary, Giles Rainsford. In 1723 a reservation of 53,000 acres was set aside for them conjointly with the Tuscarora and in 1733 they were given permission to incorporate with that tribe. They continued to decline in numbers until in 1755 Governor Dobbs stated that only 2 men and 3 women were left.

Population.—In 1584-85 one of the Chowanoc towns, Ohanoak, was said to contain 700 warriors, and Mooney (1928) estimates their numbers at about 1,500 in 1,600. In 1707 they were reduced to one town with about 15 fighting men, but at the end of the Tuscarora War their numbers were placed at 240. In 1731 less than 20 families were reported and by 1755 only 5 individuals, as above noted. Connection in which they have become noted.—The Chowanoc seem to have been the most powerful Algonquian tribe south of the Powhatan. Their memory is preserved in the names of Chowan River and Chowan County, and in the designation of a small post office in the county of the name, all in North Carolina.
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~jmack/algonqin/swanton.htm
Grant Johnston

Posted: 16 Aug 2004 6:56PM GMT
Thanx,
This was a big help. I found it and read it.
N

Posted: 23 Aug 2004 12:51PM GMT
Edited: 3 Sep 2004 10:26PM GMT
Hi... My G-G-G Grandpa was Major Bennett b 15 Oct. 1819
in Guilford NC, His son John Nathaniel b. Oct 19 1844 would be my G-G Grandpa, his son Dr. Edwin Murvial Bennett b. 30 Dec. 1867 was G Grandpa, his son James John Bennett b. 5 Nov. 1898 my Grandpa, his son Robert Joseph Bennett b. 26 Sep. 1932 my dad.... have not been able to find anything past Major (this is his given name) Bennett.... any help would be appreciated Thanks...Beth
per page

Find a board about a specific topic