Search for content in message boards

Henry W. Stephens/Stevens, b. 1781 in North Carolina

Henry W. Stephens/Stevens, b. 1781 in North Carolina

Posted: 11 Feb 2013 3:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: STEPHENS, STEVENS
I am searching for more information on Henry W. Stephens, son of Mashack Stephens and Milly Fores/Farrar Stephens, brother of Nancy, Elizabeth (Betsy), Louisa, Mashack Jr., and Shadrack/Shadrick Stephens. The girls md into Farmer, Pearson, and Lammons families. His father Mashack moved from Burke, NC to Pendleton,SC to Knox, then Hawkins, TN; spent a year in Warren, KY, then Knox and finally to Morgan Co., TN.

Henry was b. 1781 (some give date of 1794) in North Carolina (?Caswell Co.). After that I lose all track of him. I would assume he moved to TN with his parents, but he was b. in NC and would have been about 9-14 when his dad first came to TN (though this may have been his dad, a soldier. Henry was an adult by 1800 and would have been age 49 when his father appeared in the 1830 Marion Co., TN census. Henry was too young to serve in the Revolution, but might have served in the War of 1812 or some of the Indian Wars. He would have been too old to serve in the Civil War if he lived that long. I am wondering if he might have died at infancy or as a child, but assume since this was in Mashack's Rev. War pension application that he must have been living as late as 1832 (else the document would have said deceased child). If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it. I do note that there are a number of people named Henry W. Stephens scattered around AL, TN, NC, etc so siblings or parents are almost a necessity to differentiate this person.

Re: Henry W. Stephens/Stevens, b. 1781 in North Carolina

Posted: 11 Feb 2013 7:48PM GMT
On April 1, 1839 in Morgan County Tennessee, the court entered of finding that Nearly Stephens, widow of Meshach Stephens, a revolutionary war pensioner, died leaving no will or testament and that the following children survived her: Henry W Stephens, Nancy Farmer, Betsy Pearson, Meshach Stephens, Louisa Sammons and Shadrach Stephens: that the widows maiden name was Forer [? Fores]; that she and her husband married sometime in the year 1780 the precise time not recollected and that they lived together as husband and wife until the death of the veteran; that the widow died in Morgan County Tennessee October 9, 1837.]
On February 23, 1839 in Fentress County Tennessee Sally Stephens, 82 on the 12th of March last past, the widow of Thomas Stephens deceased made oath that she was living in the same neighborhood with her brother-in-law Meshach Stephens and his wife Milley at the time they were married in Virginia; she positively states that they were married sometime before the last period of his service at the Siege of York; she cannot state how long he served; that Meshach Stephens served in overseeing business for Lemuel Smith in the spring preceding the surrender of Lord Cornwallis; that the maiden name of Milley was Milly Farrer [?]. She signed her affidavit with her mark.]
In April 1839, in Morgan County Tennessee, Major Shadrick Stephens made affidavit that he always understood his parents were married in Virginia and that in the spring of 1781 they were living together as man and wife; that his father made a crop with a certain Lemuel Smith; that due to having to serve in the United States military, his father was quote defeated" in making a crop in the season of the surrender of Lord Cornwallis; that his mother's maiden name was Milly Forer; that his mother lived with him in Morgan County Tennessee after the death of her husband and until her death on the 9th of October 1837; that his mother died leaving the following named children: Henry W Stephens, Nancy Farmer, Betsy Pearson, Meshach Stephens, Louisa Sammons and Shadrick Stephens.
S/ Shadrach Stephens

Posted: 11 Feb 2013 10:35PM GMT
Surnames: STEPHENS, STEVENS
I'm a bit confused. I always heard that Mashack, Henry's daddy, had died in 1837 and that Milly, Henry's mother, died in 1839. I think I noted that Mashack applied for a pension in 1832 in Morgan Co., TN and Milly applied in 1837. I also have that Milly was short for Mildred. Does anyone know more about this?

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 3:15PM GMT
I posted abstracts . These were copied as best as possible from the originals. The originals also would have been spelled as closely as possible to what the writer "heard". Only living children would have been listed on the Mother's pension aplication. Also unique to the revolution, children could make application which you see here.
In these 3 seperate court papers you see Meshack or Mashack Sr. had a brother Thomas and his wife's name. They obviously traveled from their birth place together. You get confirmation of Meshack's daughters married names and the information that one son went on to become a Major. I would assume You could request from the National archives information on this Major. Good luck.

Posted: 13 Feb 2013 12:19AM GMT
Surnames: STEPHENS, STEVENS, FORES, FARRAR
Thank you. Somewhere on ancestry.com I found a family tree that listed Mashack's date of death as 1834 and then Milly's was listed (as previously noted) in 1837.

Posted: 20 Feb 2013 3:09PM GMT
Surnames: STEPHENS, STEVENS, SAMMONS, SALMONDS
Louisa md a Sammons/Salmonds instead of a Lammons. My error.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions