Search for content in message boards

Professional Research in Görlitz, Saxony for Reatl / Riedl Family

Professional Research in Görlitz, Saxony for Reatl / Riedl Family

Posted: 14 May 2005 3:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Reatl, Rettl, Riedl, Reatt, Real
Hello,

I am looking for some in-depth research in Görlitz, Saxony, probably looking for parish records, etc - in the window from 1830-1860. I have fairly exact names and dates.

I've been looking forever for some local people who specialize in this, but i've come up with nothing.

If anyone knows of any local researchers (or are one, themselves), please respond.

Thanks

Jason Real

Re: Professional Research in Görlitz for Reatl / Riedl Family

Robert T. (View posts)
Posted: 15 May 2005 7:37AM GMT
Jason, just a note:

Görlitz is actually the easternmost city in what was until 1945 the Prussian province of Silesia (in German: Schlesien; capital: Breslau). Because almost all of Silesia (including Breslau) was given to Poland following World War II and the German population expelled, that very small piece of Silesia west of the Neisse River where Görlitz is located is being administered by the state of Saxony.

I am curious about one thing: Those family names are either Bavarian or Austrian. They are certainly not Silesian! Are you sure the people you are interested in were from Görlitz in Silesia? What is the source of your information that they were from Görlitz in Silesia?

Robert

Re: Görlitz

Robert T. (View posts)
Posted: 15 May 2005 8:13AM GMT
Jason, in my last reply, I had of course meant to say that Görlitz is actually the WESTERNmost city in what was until 1945 the Prussian province of Silesia.

Robert

Posted: 17 May 2005 4:39PM GMT
Surnames: Reatl, Rettl, Riedl, Real
Well, to give further background, the last name of my family in that generation in America was marked as "Reatl."

Obviously, that is an American misspelling, so I have to backtrace what it may or may not be.

Rumor had it that it had a silent "t" in it? (I know, it makes absolutely no sense), and that's why they shortened it to "Real".

I have already done research in Graslitz, Bohemia (currently Kraslice, CZ) and there is a possible connection, but I need to confirm this since TWO census records mark him as being from Poland (1870 + 1880).

Now, the death record for my ancestor, Ed, had him marked as from Grasliltz, Bohemia - hence the logical connection.

Görlitz is quite near Bohemia, near Poland (especially now) and seems to be quite possibly what was marked on his death record.

So, that's why I want research done - to see if anyone with a similar name to him came from that city around the same time so I can see if that is the real match.

Otherwise, I have to check Grailitz, Austria (for a different reason).

If neither of these two come up, then it's Graslitz, Bohemia, and my quest is done.

I hope it's clearer now.

- Jason Real

Posted: 12 Nov 2008 3:40PM GMT
Surnames: DRECHSEL from Gorlitz
Jason, since this was a 2005 entry, I was wondering if you have made any progess. I am currently researching my DRECHSEL family and according to Hamburg passenger emigration lists,they came from Gorlitz. I was wondering if you could share with me what you have found
Thanks
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions