Search for content in message boards

surname

Posted: 26 May 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Apr 2002 10:32PM GMT
Surnames: Hegdahl
I am looking for any information on Christain Hegdahl who immagrated to the US in 1880. He reside in Hennipen county Mn.
Posted: 17 Jun 2011 9:58PM GMT
I think I might be related to you. My Great Grandpa was named Christ (maybe Christian) Hegdahl. His was Bertina. They were both born in Norway in 1865 and immigrated to the US, but not sure what year. My grandmas name was Olga Hegdahl. Just joined this site on Tues. I would love to hear from you.
Does this information sound right?

Re: surname

Posted: 12 Jan 2013 7:18PM GMT
I am George W hegdahl's grandson, great grandson of Christ and Bertina. I can help with Christ's birth, childhood, and immigration path from Norway and need information on Bertina, that Tina A. Berg (name at marriage in U. S. 8 Jul 1893 after immigrating in 1888 or 1890, depending on which source you believe. I need more and reliable clues on Tina's Norwegian name. Do you know the source of the Peterson, or Petersdotter I have seen associated with her.

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 12:28PM GMT
Peterson (or some variable of that name - Pedersdatter would be a patronymic form that was traditional in Norway) appears to have been Tina's maiden name when she married Christ Hegdahl in Minnesota.

Her given name changes from census to census and in various other MN records.

There is also a completely separate and different Bertina Hegdahl born in Minnesota to Norwegian parents who married a Peterson.

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 1:27PM GMT
Thank you so much for your reply. Christ Hegdahl married Tina A. Berg on 8 Jul 1893 at St Olaf Luthern Church at 2901 Emerson in Minneapolis. I have a photo of the handwritten church record. I have not found any documentation of a different earlier name though her apparently two children, Bessie Berg born 1 May 1891, and another pre-1893 unknown, would beg for that to exist. Do you know the source of the Peterson/Pedersdatter information? I have not found any sourced indications of that and am very anxious to locate my great grandmother's origins in Norway. Given the other Bertina/Peterson connection, could attributing Peterson to her be another researcher's mix-up. I also am aware of the other Bertina in Minnesota during that time and have been tiptoeing through the references with that in mind.

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 3:31PM GMT
Edited: 17 Jan 2013 8:33PM GMT
Source - Minnesota birth record of the couple's first child.

The various census records, vital records for the children, even her death record vary in that they have her given name as Tina, Tena, Lena or Berntina (only one appearance of that).

Berg would not be a Norwegian surname of the time period of her birth - but rather an indication of what is probably a farm name in Norway -- an address. Some Norwegian emigrants switched from original patronymic name to a 'farm name' when they emigrated or later.

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 11:04PM GMT
Christ is the one of the couple that had been married before - not Tina, Tena, Lena, Berntina. See the 1910 US census.

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 4:38AM GMT
Bertha was Christ and Tina's first child and unfortunately I have not been able to locate either Bertha's or Bessie's (Tina's earlier child) birth records yet-so have not seen the Peterson reference; still looking/hoping. I also believe that Berg was most likely a farm name, or chosen for being in/near a mountain, etc. However I do feel that, by the traditions of the same patronymic system, her Norwegian surname probably started with the A. that she used as her middle initial when she married Christ. Both Christ and the three nephews who followed him over used O. as a middle initial, in this time period a practice often followed by immigrants Americanizing their name.

Christ married in Verdal, Norway to Mette, who in the US was known as Matilda Hegdahl and died 21 Jan 1891 in Minneapolis. Do you mean by your last note that Bertha's mother's maiden name is listed as Peterson? The correct Bertha? Just like Bertina Hegdahl, there was at least one other Bertha Hegdahl around at the time. If I remember, Bertha E. I recall that one of Bertha's children has on their birth certificate a version of Berth's middle name 'Kaspara', as her maiden name. Until receiving your note I had assumed that the use of the title 'pige'(Norwegian miss) could be taken as an indication that Tina was and had been unmarried until 1893, but now am starting to wonder if she had married a Peterson before she did Christ; perhaps in the US, and the pige was more of a courtesy or habit when entered by their pastor. Christ and Mette had two sons, one in Norway and John Sigurd, who we see in the US Census information, here. Counting the six children born and five still living which appears, if I remember, in both the 1900 and 1910 US Census, that leaves unaccounted for one other child of Tina's (the Mali or Malli I have seen on some trees does not belong in this family of Hegdahls). Can you help at all with some definite information on that?

I have also tried to keep track of the first name changes with Tina and seem to have much the same as yours. I did note however that Christ's death certificate lists Bentina Berg. Given that this entry was typed, the handwriting of the day, and the potential verbal confusion of Ber, Ben, and Bern spoken in Norwegian American to someone who was probably from somewhere else, I have been using Bertina, Berntina, Bentina, and even Albertina in searching. Have you found her in Norway?
I'll check the 1910 Census you refer me to-afraid to do it now and lose this note-and respond back to you later. Thank you for your responses!

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 5:00AM GMT
I checked the 1910 Census. It shows Mallie in the summary page. That's not Mallie, it's Mattie, named after you now know who, and George's twin. Looks like the writer forgot to cross the t's (or the reading machine didn't pick it up). Also noted the numbers 16 under 'Number of years in present marriage' as 16 for both. Rounded to nearest year that's correct. That says nothing about whether Tina, or Christ, was married to someone earlier.

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 1:11PM GMT
The 1910 lists Christ as M2 (meaning 2nd marriage) - Tina as M1 (meaning 1st marriage). See the column immediately before that which says they had been married for 16 years. If you look at the rest of the page also you can see how the enumerator was using that for all couples. I've seen that useage in many sections of the country and it often very useful. That might have been specified in the detail instructions for enumerators...

On that same image of the 1910 that I can see the youngest child is Mattie with at least one t clearly crossed - but the lower case g of brother George immediately above does make that difficult to read.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic