Hello. I am looking for anything on the
VanderWeyst family or believed to be spelled
Vanderwyst. I am just starting, so would
appreciate any kind of information.
Thanks!!

Van Der Weist

sharon morgan (View posts)
Posted: 12 May 2001 8:18AM GMT
In searching for your dutch ancestors, try Weijst, van der. My family, Reyst, was originally Reijst in Holland. You may find info at GenLias too. Good Luck

Re: The VanderWeyst Family

Posted: 10 Jun 2003 5:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Vanderwyst, van der Wijst, Wyst
Hello Becky,
I am also interested in this family, variously spelled: VanderWeyst, Vanderwyst, Wyst, Vanderwist and (probable original spelling) van der Wijst. The name seems to have origninated in North Brabant, Holland, with my particular branch coming from a town named Uden. Of particular interest to me are Vanderwysts with a connection to Cleveland Ohio from 1850-present. I have information on several branches of Cleveland Wysts and Vanderwysts, as well as some information on Uden and the archive system there.

Becky VanderWeyst (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jun 2003 6:51PM GMT
Thank you for replying to my message. I don't think any of my direct family comes from Ohio, but I'm interested in the information that you have aquired concerning the VanderWeyst's from Holland. I know one of my great uncles ended up going back to where we came from and when he came back he changed his name to VanderWyst because that how its supposed to be spelled. The family consider him an eccentric.

Anyways, thanks again and hope to hear from you soon.

Becky VanderWeyst

Posted: 11 Jun 2003 7:30PM GMT
Surnames: van der Wijst, Vanderwyst, Wyst
On a trip to the Netherlands in 1999 I found a nice little archive in the town of Veghel, North Brabant, which had collected records from all the surrounding municipalities. As far as I could interpret from the archivist the name van der Wijst originated in the area and is particularly associated with the towns of Boekel and Uden (where my ancestors come from). The best translation of the name we were able to come up with is "from the loam", loam being a sandy-silty soil.
As far as we can make out four van der Wijst brothers (Arnoldus, Albertus, Joannes & Thomas) emigrated from Uden in the early 1850s, and (probably) at least three of them ended their days in Cleveland, Ohio, under the name of Vanderwyst or just Wyst. We know that the Thomas Vanderwyst (1828-1907) in Cleveland is the same as the Uden brother, and we have strong circumstantial evidence that the Arnold (1824-1898) and Albert Vanderwyst (1825/7-1882) living in Cleveland at the time were his brothers from Uden. There have been Vanderwysts in Cleveland now for about 150 years, and it is our theory that they are all descended from the same group of brothers (since Vanderwyst is not a common name nor was Cleveland a popular destination for Catholic Dutch).
Do you know where your VanderWeyst ancestor came from in the Netherlands?

Posted: 6 Jul 2010 1:41AM GMT
Surnames: Vander Weyst, Vanderweyst, Vander Wyst, Vanderwyst
Becky,

I am also researching the Vander Weyst family. Where are you located?

Posted: 6 Jul 2010 12:17PM GMT
See the Dutch genealogical site: genlias.nl
You will find:
Van der Weijst: 34 pages with hits (Uden)
Weist: 1 page with hits
Weyst: 5 hits (Venray in Limburg)
Van der Wijst: 34 pages with hits in Uden.

A speical site for Noord-Brabant is
http://www.bhic.nl/index.php?id=10004
search with Weijst and Wijst and you will probable find more.
The towns Uden and Veghel: if you want more information, search with 'heemkundekring Veghel' and with 'heemkundekring Uden'. A heemkundekring is a society for local history: they collect information about all inhabitants for centuries up till now with the newborn.

Posted: 18 Jun 2011 4:00AM GMT
Hello - My Great Grandfather was William Vander Weyst and I think he also came from Uden. Looks like it was around 1893. His son Joseph was my Grandpa :)

Posted: 31 Jul 2011 11:39PM GMT
Surnames: van der Wijst
Researching van der Wijst. I am a descendant from Uden area, through Kaukauna, WI area. Are you researching Wisconsin???

Posted: 26 Oct 2012 3:27PM GMT
Surnames: Vander Weyst
Sorry for the late reply. Yes, my family lives in Wisconsin. My Grandparents, Rita and Joe Vander Weyst, were from Little Chute, WI (right next to Kaukauna). And from what I can find, my great grandparents came from Uden.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic