Search for content in message boards

Alexandria Cemetery in Troy

Alexandria Cemetery in Troy

Erven Thoma (View posts)
Posted: 6 Sep 2003 4:50AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: WINGE
I did not see Alexandria Cemetery of Troy listed. Supposedly an uncle and two of his wives are buried there. Their names are Theodore Winge (1894-1988), Hilda Winge (1901-1971) and Sarah Winge (1909-1992). Can anyone verify this? Would anyone tell me more about this cemetery and give me the lot number and perhaps be willing to take pictures of any gravestones?

Re: Alexandria Cemetery in Troy

Posted: 6 Sep 2003 4:56PM GMT
Alexandria Cemetary in Troy is actually Old Alexandria. It is on Hwy KK north of Troy in Old Alexandria. It has been a long time since I was there looking but if I get the chance to go back by there I will see what I can find for you. Lois

Erven Thoma (View posts)
Posted: 6 Sep 2003 11:41PM GMT
Surnames: Winge
Thank you for your message and offer to help. Do your comments means there is also a New Alexandria Cemetery? Why are the cemeteryies not listed in the Lincoln County Cemetery list on the web?

Posted: 7 Sep 2003 2:57AM GMT
Edited: 24 Jul 2004 10:39PM GMT
no there is not a New Alexandria. I don't know why it is called that except that there is a church there called Old Alexandria Methodist Church, the actual address is 87 Old Alexandria Rd. Troy Mo. 63379. I'm not sure why it is not listed but there is a genealogical society in Lincoln co. that may be able to answer that. The only reason that I even know it is there is because I attended a great aunts funeral and interment and that is where it was at. When walking the cemetary that day I found a treasure trove. I found a lot of my relatives that I had on my list but didn't know anything about and also my husband's family. Guess from a genalogiy standpoint I picked the right great aunt to attend her funeral.
Lois

Erven Thoma (View posts)
Posted: 8 Sep 2003 12:29AM GMT
Interesting contact with this cemetery! You never know what a great aunt will provide for you. From time to time I get to St. Louis because I was born and raised there and have a few relatives there, but Troy is a ways from St. Louis and I don't always have a car when there. I want to add photos of gravestones to my web site and Theodore, Hilda and Sarah Winge on on my to-do list.

Posted: 8 Sep 2003 2:06AM GMT
Edited: 24 Jul 2004 10:39PM GMT
It may be a week or so before I get back to Troy as my husband has to go into the hospital this week to have his pacemaker/difibrilator checked and i'm not quite sure how long it will be before I can leave him alone long enough to go to Troy. We live about 30 miles away from Troy but it is the closest town to us where we can do our shopping and I try to do everthing in one trip so I don't have to leave my husband for too long. But as soon as I get back up that way I will swing by there.
Lois

Sid Schuman (View posts)
Posted: 8 Sep 2003 4:05AM GMT
There is a gentleman at the troy police department that has the official records of that cemetary. I do not remember his name, but if you call there, they will probably be able to help you.

Posted: 8 Sep 2003 4:11AM GMT
Thank you. Lois

Re: Alexandria Cemetery near Troy

george (View posts)
Posted: 12 Sep 2003 12:55AM GMT
Old Alexandria is so named because the town of Alexandria in the far NE corner of Missouri was first to acquire a post office by that name. Alexandria in Lincoln County served as county seat for a short time. The census of the Old Alexandria Cemetery which the Lincoln County Genealogical Society has was taken in 1985 and did not have a Wing/Winge listed. I will volunteer to take digital photos for you, if the stones are there, as soon as the weather co-operates. Rain expected tomorrow.
The City Marshall at Troy has records of the Troy City Cemetery, but not the Old Alexandria Cemetery. I believe that responsibility has been recently transferred to another person.

Debra (View posts)
Posted: 24 Mar 2004 7:18PM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
My father is buried at Old Alexandria Cemetary. When I was growing up there was a village near there called Old Alexandria. The village is pretty much gone and the cemetary has become a bit hard to find because of the way the highway is now constructed. If I recall (and it's been a few years since I was there) it's not on the sames side of Hwy 61 that it was originally. Just a warning that if you go there trying to find it, and haven't been there before or for a long time, you will probably have to ask around to find it.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic