Search for content in message boards

Burial place of Juan Coy - Lodi Cemetery?

Burial place of Juan Coy - Lodi Cemetery?

John A. Stovall (View posts)
Posted: 3 Nov 2004 1:49AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Coy
A resent book on Juan Coy reports he is buried in the Lodi Cemetery, Wilson County. A fellow research went there and could not find the grave nor is it listed in an index of Wilison county burial on file at the San Antonio Public Library.

Does anyone have any information on the burial place of Juan Coy in Wilson County?

Re: Burial place of Juan Coy - Lodi Cemetery?

Posted: 11 Nov 2004 7:40AM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Edited: 8 Nov 2005 11:45PM GMT
John,
Do you have any idea where and when he died? IF he died in Wilson County, that would help to pin down the death record book to look in. they usually have the disposition of the deceased in the record. Without knowing where and when, it would be a long digging process through the records and a lot of lost time if he did not die in Wilson County.

What book listed his burial in Lodi Cemetery?
Ernest

Posted: 13 Nov 2004 8:56PM GMT
Here is the cite, I'm using for his

_The Life and Death of Juan Coy_ by Charles L. Olmsted and Edward Coy Ybarra...footnote #38 re: his death and burial: cites the San Antonio Daily Express of January 30, 1892, p. 2. They cite: "Burial would be the next day, at the Lodi Cemetery, in back of the Catholic church property."

Posted: 16 Nov 2004 4:48PM GMT
Edited: 5 Dec 2004 11:41PM GMT
Surnames: Juan Coy
Looked at some data I have from an actual on-site survey of both the "Old Lodi" cemetery and the more current "Lodi" cemtery and neither had a tombstone or marker for Juan Coy. But it is very possible and probable that there are many additional grave sites there which no longer have markers. I have done extensive research on the Coy family. Are you a Coy descendant?

Posted: 16 Nov 2004 7:47PM GMT
I'm not a decendent. I'm working with a team of writers for the second volume of _Texas Burial Sites of Civil War Notable_. With the book out on Juan Coy, we have been trying to locate his burial site and photograph it. It would appear it's an unmarked grave in the Old Lodi Cemetery. I've ordered a copy of his obituary from the 1892 San Antonio Express. Since he was in Co. "H" of the Hobby's 8th Reg. Texas Infantry and there is service record for him, the VA would provide a no cost head stone to put in the cemetery to indicate his burial there.

Posted: 17 Sep 2013 5:58AM GMT
Juan Coy was my ggrandfather. He was shot in a gunfight in San Antonio Texas in Jan. 1892.He is buried at Lodi Cemetry, in Floresville,Texas. No gravesite has ever been located. He was raised by his uncle Trinidad Coy around the Coy City area.He was a close friend of W.G.Butler, owner of the Butler Ranch in Karnes County Texas.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions