Search for content in message boards

BURRUSS

BURRUSS

Sammy A Pierce (View posts)
Posted: 22 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am trying to track down the parents/siblings/lineage of John George Burruss, born in Caroline County in Jan 1837. He moved with his wife, Anna or Annie W., to Richmond around 1900. He died in 1920. During the Civil War he was in the 9th Virginia Cavalry, Co B.

BURRUSS

Lewis H. Burruss (Jr) (View posts)
Posted: 24 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT
Brothers John and Jacob Burruss came to Caroline County in the early or mid 1700s from England. They produced many offspring, some of whom are still living in Caroline County, around Penola and Ruther Glen. One of the John Burrusses (there are many) was in the Revolutionary War. Several were in the Confederate Army. One is buried in the Granville Burruss (my grandfather) family plot at Fontaine Hill in Ruther Glen.

BURRUSS

Sammy A Pierce (View posts)
Posted: 28 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT

George T (Tyler or Taylor) Burruss and Catherine M Gayle occupied Stanhope prior to 1850. I have not determined from whom they obtained the property, but I suspect it passed to them from Harris Burruss estate. George T Burruss was born 20 Mar 1809 in Spotsylvania County of unknown parents; again, I believe he was the oldest son of Harris Burruss, but have no proof. Catherine M Gayle, known as Kitty, was born ca 1815. They were married in Jan 1832 in Caroline County. They had two sons; Atwell born 18 Nov 1832 and John George, born 12 Jan 1835. John G Burruss enlisted in the 9th VA Cav, Co B on 6 May 1861. He was paroled at Ashland, VA 2 May 1865. Atwell Burruss enlisted in the 9th VA Cav, Co B on 18 May 1861. He transferred to the 5th VA Cav on 31 Oct 1862. Atwell Burruss married Ella Temple Gatewood in 1860. They had several children: Rozelle, b. ca 1862, still alive when he wrote his will in 1906; Harry, b. ca 1864, still alive in 1906; Mattie C (married a Williams), b. 1 Jan 1866, d. 1 Jun 1928; George (married Laura Conrad), b. 20 Jan 1868, d. 13 Aug 1944; Francis (called Frank, still alive in 1906), b. ca 1870; Early N, B. 15 Jan 1872, D. 16 Aug 1900; Granville, b. ca 1874, still alive in 1906; Ella T, b. ca 1877, still alive in 1906; Atwell R Jr; b. ca 1879, d. 1967 (married Lillian Hortense Blackley, b. 26 Jun 1887, d. 20 Feb 1950); Mabel, b. after 1880, still alive in 1906; and Lucy, born after 1880, still alive in 1906.

John George Burruss married Anna M Hicks 14 Jul 1868. In the 1870 cencus they were living at Stanhope with their parents and one year old son, Cary. In a deed dated 1 Oct 1870, George T and Catherine M Burruss made his son, John George Burruss, their daughter-in-law, "Annie", and their heirs trustees for 130 "...known as Stanhope...bounded as follows on the North by the County road from Bow Green to New Town on the west by the lands belonging to the Estate Wm Kidd decd South by Mattaponi river and east by tract of land now occupied by Lewis Sirles (?) & belonging to M Yeates estate...". George T Burruss died between 1877 and 1880. In the Caroline County Enumeration 1880 John George Burruss, age 45 was living at Stanhope with Annie, age 31; Cary H, age 10; Edward, age 8; John L, age 7; Carrie D, age 6; Sallie C, age 4; Annie, age 2; Stanley, age 11 months. (My father believes the had more children after 1880, but I have not confirmed it yet. The family moved to Richmond and sold Stanhope in 1906 to Louise B Pugh. Today it is occupied by George Rogers.
The Sallie C in the 1880 Enumeration was my great-grandmother, Sarah Catherine Burruss. She was really 3, born 13 Jan 1877 at Stanhope, died 13 Aug 1962 in Greenville, NC. She married Matthias Manley Sauls, b. 20 Jan 1877 near Black Creek in Wilson County, N.C. He was a student majoring in pharmacy in Richmond. They moved to Ayden, NC (Pitt County) where they remained the rest of their lives. Their first child died at birth. They had 3 more children; my grandmother Burruss Sauls b. 21 Aug 1902 in VA (Stanhope or Richmond?), d. 20 May 1991; daughter Berkely, deceased and son Matt, deceased. (Berkely married Archibald Rurledge III, a descendent of the Rutledges from S.C. who signed the Declaration and Constitution) Burruss married Sam Pierce, b. 23 Nov 1897 Pitt Co, NC, d. 19 May 1974. They had 5 sons; my father Sammy A Pierce; Manley Sauls; William Fairfax; Leroy Courtney (deceased) and Raymond Spotswood. Hope this helps.
Posted: 28 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 24 Aug 2001 12:24PM GMT
I am seeking information on the Burrus/Gayle family who built a home still known as Stanhope in Caroline Co. Stanhope is located directly across the road from the site of Walden Towers which burned in the mid-1800s. The Gayle bride was also a Walden descendant. I have information on Gayles but not on Burrus and am seeking help in identifying this family. Thank you

BURRUSS

Lewis Henry Burruss Jr (View posts)
Posted: 30 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT
In the previous message, the Atwell Burruss and Ella Temple Gatewood of Caroline County, VA are my great-grandparents. Their son, Granville (my grandfather) married Sue Stern. They lived at "Fontaine Hill" and had four children, one of whom died as an infant. Of the other three, my father Lewis Henry Burruss was the eldest.(b/ July 4 1906, died July 1969) He had a sister, Eleanor who never married, and a brother, William Atwell Burruss, who mairred Edith ___, still living at Fontaine Hill. W.A. & Edith had William, Jane, Sue and Granville. My father, Lewis Henry Burruss, married Frances Charlotte Moore, (daughter of the Rev. James T. Moore of Gloucester Co. and Therma Tyler, a descendant of Pres. John Tyler) My parents had five children; Ann Frances, (4 children - Eleanor, Lewis, Karen & Catherine Whitaker) Cynthia Lewis (no children), Susan Davis (m. Frank Settle; 3 children; Cynthia Coleman, Amy Tyler, and Samuel Alexander) Lewis Henry Jr (me) with five children; Thomas Randolph (b 15 Dec 1963), Jefferson Lewis (27 Aug 67); Frances Charlotte (29 Dec 69) Alice Jane (17 Apr 73) and Carmella Cynthia (20 Mar 1990).
The descendants of Granville and Atwell (and some others) still hold an annual reunion in June in Virginia, at various places.

BURRUS/GAYLE

Posted: 5 Sep 1998 12:00PM GMT
I have no known BURRUS connections but am related to the Gayle family who married the owner of Stanhope, a residence which was constructed in the same general area of Caroline Co as was Walden "Towers". There seems to have been three Gayle sister, Nancy, Catherine, and Mary, who married Burris husbands. I now have conflicting information on which sister married the owner of Stanhope. I also am interested if any one has the same information on the parents of the Gayle sisters as I do. I have them as daughters of Joanna Walden and John Gayle. I would be interested in hearing further from anyone about these families. I will be leaving the internet for about a month on September 10 to take my husband away for medical treatment. Thank you.

Burrus/Burruss

Posted: 1 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 10 Jun 2002 5:52AM GMT
Surnames: Burrus, Burruss
I have information on the ancestry of George Tyler Burruss (1809-1876) who married Catherine Minor Gayle (1812-1896). George was the son of Jacob Burrus (1771-1817) and Mary (Polly) Redd. Jacob was the son of William Burrus (1747-1831) and Susannah Terrell (1752-1828). William was the son of Jacob Burrus, Jr., (1714-1778) and Martha Harris. Jacob was the son of Jacob Burrus, Sr., and Mary __?__. Jacob Burrus, Sr., died testate in Caroline Co., VA in 1755 (his will survived as an exhibit to a lawsuit in Louisa Co., VA). Jacob Burrus, Sr., was the son of John Burrus who died in King William Co., VA about 1705. I am hoping to learn more about the above-mentoned Burrus ancestors. I descend from Jacob Burrus, Sr., thorugh his son, Charles Burrus (1722-1797) who married Sarah Woolfolk who moved to Amherst Co., VA.

Gayle/Burrus'Pitts

Posted: 15 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Gayle, Burrus, Pitts, Walden, Fuss
Thank you for this listing. If it is possible to verify a listing of the children of John Gayle and Joanna Walden, I now have Matthew, Nathaniel, John, Sarah, and Mary. I think there is a fourth son. Do you have a name? Also any descendants would be welcome. I have Sarah's line worked out and quite a bit on John but the others remain elusive. Also is Betsy Pitts verified as the d/o Younger Pitts. I have just received a very welcome and much need copy of Burrus information.Would be interested in any anncestors and siblings of John Gayle. Will gladly share all my information. Many of these people came to KY as part of Traveling Church. I am very interested in their migration. Ann Fuss and I were very good friends and were in UDC together. She is now deceased. Eldred Melton

Burrus/Gayle

hank gayle (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: burus, gayle, pitts
Dear Eldred:

Oddly enough, I have the information on the Gayle girls married to Burrus men also. This information came to me from Mrs. Judd A. Monroe (Mary Gayle Monroe, Hampton, Va.)via Mrs Anna Gayle Fuss (Frankfort, Ky.) .

John Gayle first married Joanna Walden and had several children. He then married Elizabeth (Betsy) Pitts, Feb 23 1792, Caroline Cy, Va. They had:

Josiah Pitt Gayle m Francis Broaddus 10-20-1822
Nancy Gayle m Luna? Ford Broaddus
Judith Gayle m William Chapman
Margaret Gayle m Thomas Burruss 12-17-1828
Catherine M "Kitty" m George Burrus
Gabrilia Gayle m Richard Long and "went west"
Sewal Gayle "went west"
Elizabeth "Betsy" m David Minor Robertson
Eliot Gayle died young

I also have data on part of the next two generations - Josiah Pitt's children and grandchildren

I don't know about a third daughter marrying another Burrus, but perhaps this will help. I do have some other data if you wish to exchange.

Hank Gayle
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions