Search for content in message boards

How might I confirm if this is or isn't my Frank Bartlett?

How might I confirm if this is or isn't my Frank Bartlett?

Posted: 26 Dec 2012 12:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Dec 2012 1:04AM GMT
My great-grandfather has been a brick wall for a while.
His name is Frank E Bartlett and he was born near Ann Arbor, MI November 11, 1879.

His death certficate lists his parents as Frank B Bartlett and Emma Bartlett.

On the "Marriage Return" document from his marriage to my great-granmother in 1908, however, his father is listed as Jessie Comstock and mother as Emma J Bartlett. Going on the assumption that he was probably born out of wedlock, I did a search on Frank with mother Emma and estimated that she may have been born about 1859.

In the 1180 census, I came up with a May Bartlett in MI, with a 2 year old son Frank living with her father and sisters. On that census, it says that Frank was born in Canada and that his father was born in Michigan.

Any thoughts on how I might confirm that this is or is not my Frank?

Thank you.

Re: How might I confirm if this is or isn't my Frank Bartlett?

Posted: 26 Dec 2012 5:59AM GMT
Edited: 26 Dec 2012 7:03AM GMT
FamilySearch.org lists a marriage on 14 Jan. 1878 in Ypsilanti, MI for Jesse Cumstock* of Salem Twp., age 34, to Emma J. Bartlett of Ann Arbor, age 23. (*another index entry says Comstock)

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-16780-93024-56?cc...

FamilySearch also lists a marriage on 25 Dec. 1882 for David G. Gates, 27 to Emma J. Bartlett, 28, both of Ann Arbor.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-16780-93050-58?cc...

GenealogyBank lists a notice in the Jackson, MI Patriot in Sept. 1880, stating that Jesse Comstock, a peddler, fell dead from his cart near Ann Arbor.

FamilySearch has an index (but no images) for the Michigan State Census in 1894. At that time, it appears that David Gates is married to a woman named Laura.

Of course, you would have to check out all these leads to see which is yours. The info on Frank's marriage license would likely be more credible than the info on his death certif., since presumably he personally gave the info on the marriage certificate, and somebody else would have been the informant on his death certif.

Posted: 26 Dec 2012 2:04PM GMT
>>On the "Marriage Return" document from his marriage to my great-granmother in 1908, however, his father is listed as Jessie Comstock and mother as Emma J Bartlett.<<

This is primary data (unlike data on death cert, which is secondary data). Frank Barlett stated his parentage for the marriage, but wasn't the informant of the data on his death cert.

The 1910 Census for your Frank Bartlett cites a previous marriage. You want to fill in the blanks of his life prior to his second marriage in 1908.

Michigan, Marriages, 1868-1925 [familysearch.org]

groom's name: Frank Bartlett
groom's age: 21 years
groom's birth date: 1879
groom's birthplace: Michigan [document indicates Livingston County, Michigan]
[current residence: Burton,[Genesee] Michigan]

bride's name: Minnie Bartlett [Hack]
bride's age: 21 years
bride's birth date: 1879
bride's birthplace: Michigan

marriage date: 07 Jun 1900
marriage place: Flint, Genesee, Michigan

groom's father: Jesse Comstock
groom's mother: Emma J. Bartlett
bride's father: George Hack
bride's mother: Not Given

[document indicates both parties had one previous marriage, this may or many not be true]
film number: 2342515
digital folder number: 4208648
image number: 545
reference number: v 2 p 16 rn 4686

==============================================

1900 United States Federal Census [enumerated 21& 22 Jun, source and transcription, Ancestry.com]

Name: Frank Bartlett
Birth Date: Mar 1875 [month is garbled in original doc]
Birthplace: Canada [Canada English]
Home in 1900: Burton, Genesee, Michigan
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1898
Relation to Head of House: Head
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Minne Bartlett
Marriage Year: 1899
Years Married: 1
Father's Birthplace: Canada English
Mother's Birthplace: Canada, England

Household Members:
Name Age
Frank Bartlett 25
Minne Bartlett 20
Clarence Day 19

This appears to be a census for him, but more evidence is needed to conclude it is. The place of birth for Frank Bartlett differs radically from data in the marriage doc and birth of the daughter, see below.

=======================================

Michigan, Births, 1867-1902 [familysearch.org]

name: Emma J. M. Bartlet
birth date: 18 May 1901
birthplace: Flint, Washtenaw, Michigan

father's name: Frank Bartlet
father's birthplace: Brighton Township, Michigan [Livingston County]

mother's name: Minnie Hack
mother's birthplace: Lodi

film number: 2363035
digital folder number: 4208770
image number: 1412
reference number: item 2 p 367 rn 640

============================================

Posted: 26 Dec 2012 3:16PM GMT
Thank you! My mother did have notes from her mother-in-law that Frank's parents died when he was about 2 or 3. Jesse falling dead in 1880 would explain why Emma and Frank were living with her family. If she and Jesse married, I wonder why she wouldn't have used the name Comstock.

Thank you very much.

Posted: 26 Dec 2012 3:26PM GMT
Thank you very much. Family informtion was that both Frank and Bessie (my great-grandmother) had been married before. Bessie's marriage was a little easier to confirm as she had two children from that prior marriage that lived with she and Frank.

I believe the story on Frank's 1st wife was that he had gone to Seattle for work. When he went back to bring his wife the story is either she decided not to go or he found her with another man.

Posted: 26 Dec 2012 3:38PM GMT
Interestingly enough, two lines down from Emma Bartlet and Jesse Comstock's marriage record, is the record of Frank's eventual in-laws, Frederick Stitt and Cassie Crane.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions