Search for content in message boards

BARNES Family (have included obit. census and a picture) Need Add. for Mt. Hope Cemetery, Please!

BARNES Family (have included obit. census and a picture) Need Add. for Mt. Hope Cemetery, Please!

Posted: 14 Mar 2005 9:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Nov 2005 12:45AM GMT
Surnames: Barnes, Stewart, Whitenack
Seeking any further information on the BARNES family of St. Louis, MO.

Obit.reads;
William E. BARNES, 3428 Caroline, Jan., 19, 1965. Beloved husband of Ruby BARNES, father of George E., Buster Leroy BARNES and Ethel RAMSEY, our dear brother, grandfather, great-grandfather, father-in-law and uncle.
Funeral from McLaughlin's 2301 Lafayette, Thurs., 1pm. Interment Mt. Hope Cemetery.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

William Edward BARNES (known as "Ed") b.08--1-1890 St. Louis, MO. d.01-19-1965 St. Louis, MO. Parents were Henry BARNES and Ann CHAMBERS.

Below (Thanks to Nancy!!) is 1900, 1910 and 1920 census for my BARNES
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1900/MO/Cooper/Boonville/ED46/p.41b
Morgan St.
Barnes, Henry C?/head/May1864/36/marr8yrs/NY IRE IRE/cooper
Barnes, Mary A/wife/Sep1873/26/marr8yrs/2ch-2liv/MO MO MO
Barnes, William E/son/Aug1893/6/MO MO MO
Barnes, George D/son/Nov1894/5/MO MO MO
CHAMBERS, Arthur/bro-in-law/Feb1879/21/MO MO MO
Preston, Peter H/bro-in-law/Feb1886/14/MO MO MO

1910/MO/Cooper/Boonville/ED62/p.100b
Barnes, Mary A/head/36/widow/3ch-3liv/MO MO MO/hotel proprietor
Barnes, William/son/16/MO
Barnes, George D/son/15/MO
Barnes, Clara E/dau/7/MO
9 boarders....
Chambers, Charles/brother/33/marr1,2yrs/MO
Chambers, Margaret/sis-in-law/18/marr1,2yrs/2ch-2liv/MO
2 servants

1920/KS/Wyandotte/Kansas City/ED190/p.29A
405 Osage St.
Barnes, Edward/head/24/married/MO US US/waiter, restaurant (my Grandfather)
Barnes, Hazel/wife/22/MO KS KS (my Grandmother)
Barnes, Geo/son/3/MO
Barnes, Bessie M/dau/2/MO

Questions;
Does any one have more information on Henry BARNES and Ann CHAMBERS? Have heard stories about having Indian heritage.
Does any one know who William ("Ed") BARNES siblings were?
Buster Leroy BARNES son of William ("Ed") and his last wife, Ruby BARNES, was born probably about 1930's +/-. Would any one have any more information?
Mt. Hope Cemetery in St. Louis, MO. does anyone have the (snail) mailing address for this cemetery? Has it been index online yet?

Hoping to link to some one's BARNES family!
Thanks so much in advance for anything!
Debb

1st. picture on left is of William E. BARNES and his daughter Ethel, known as "Kewpie" Picture has date, 1942 on back.
2nd. picture is of William "Ed" BARNES, wife Ruby and Buster.
Attachments:

Re: Address for Mt. Hope Cemetery

Kathleen A. Mulligan (View posts)
Posted: 16 Mar 2005 11:39PM GMT
Mt. Hope Cemetery, Mausoleum & Crematory
1215 Lemay Ferry Rd.
St. Louis, Missouri 63125

314 544-2000

Hope this helps

Re: BARNES Family: Ruby & Will circa 1965

Posted: 14 May 2005 11:07AM GMT
Hi,

I remember a Ruby Barnes who lived on Carson Road. Today it is N. Hanley. I think her husband was called Will?? something. I'd have to ask my mom.

The Ruby Barnes I knew I have a photo of somewhere around the house....

However the Barnes family I remember both Ruby and her husband were alive after 1965.

Re: BARNES Family: Ruby & Will

Posted: 14 May 2005 4:20PM GMT
Edited: 17 Nov 2005 12:45AM GMT
Surnames: Barnes, Stewart, Whitenack
Thanks sooo very much Dana for responding to my post!

William E. Barnes was my grandfather, didn't know him myself and my older sibblings were so young when they seen him their memory is sketchy. I know he was called "Ed" on our family side.
I have a letter that Ruby Barnes (my grandfathers last wife)
had wrote to my Mom when her Dad was ill. No dates and letter was without an envelope.
My Grandparents (William BARNES and Hazel STEWART) divorced when my Mom was a baby, (after 1920??) it was a very compatible divorce as I was told, and they remained in contact for a number of years afterwards, until my Grandmother remarried (1935) to a man who was in the service and then they moved around the various states. Lost contact sometime in the 1950's.
However, my Grandpa Barnes did keep in contact with son, George Barnes from marriage with my Grandma Hazel, since they all were still living in the Kansas City, MO. area at that time.
I don't know for Buster Leroy Barnes if Buster was a nickname or what, for sure? He was called "Buz" by my Grandmother. I have a couple of pictures of him with my older brother (as youngen's) back in the early to mid 1940's.
I know my BARNES must have some strong connections to the St. Louis, MO. area, since my Grandfather was born there...moved all around MO and KS and then winds up back in St. Louis and is buried there.
Growing up I never heard of any mentioning if my (grandpa) William Barnes had sibblings, but according to his obit he did!

If your Mom has any recollection's I'd love to hear! My Mom was known as "Kewpie" this would have been the name her Dad and Ruby called her. The pictures I posted of William and Ruby Barnes does this Ruby look familar to your Mom??
Keep me posted if you don't mind. PLEASE
My BARNES family has been such a mystery. Not many I know still living, even so they have no history on this family. The little I knew and have dug up so far, was more than they've known...and these are older cousins:) who lived around in the time and area!

Soory so long, just the thought of someone remembering, (wow) brought me hope and some excitement :)
Thanks for responding Dana and I'll keep my fingers crossed!
Debb

Re: BARNES Family: John Paul Barnes from England

Posted: 25 Nov 2007 10:43PM GMT
Surnames: Barnes
Hello

Would you klnow if any of these Barnes's came from England. I am looking for grandfather and great grandfather.

Grand father is John Paul Barnes from England and his father was George Barnes. I believe my grand father had 2 sisters names unknown.

If you have any information please contact me at echennette@rogers.com

thanks
Eileen

Re: BARNES Family: Ruby Hunott, husband Hayden Barnes.

Posted: 8 Dec 2007 4:15PM GMT
Surnames: Barnes, Hunott, Reinwart
Dear Deb,

A while back I mentioned I knew of a Ruby Barnes in St. Louis, Missouri.

My cousin, a grandson of Ruby Barnes visited last week. He advised that "our" Ruby Barnes maiden name was Hunott. Her husband was Hayden Barnes.

He believes Hayden Barnes was originally from Arkansas. Not sure if Ruby Hunott was from Arkansas or Missouri.

Noticed there are a few Hunott death certificates at sos.mo.gov.. majority at New Madrid, Mo..which is I think fairly near the Arkansas border.. so perhaps Ruby Hunott-Barnes was from that area.

Massaro, Feldhaus, Hauser are some of the families connected with Barnes.

A friend of my husband's visited this past weekend and mentioned an Albert Reinwart, a decorted WWII soldier..

Anyhow he thought Reinwart is related to the Hauser married into the Barnes family.

Re: BARNES Family (have included obit. census and a picture) Need Add. for Mt. Hope Cemetery, Please!

Posted: 5 Jan 2008 11:51PM GMT
Surnames: Barnes
Debb -
I'm not sure if this will help but one never knows:
My ancestor is Mildred Barnes born in 1823 in Howard Co, MO. Her parents are thought to be Milly Hulen & John James Barnes. Eldest daughter of 3 kids was Charlotte who married John Larue in 1832. Youngest son was William Taylor Barnes born 1829. Their parents, John died in 1836 and Milly in 1837. My Mildred married very young-1839 and I've looked for years to try to find anything on her family. Probably couldn't because her parents were long gone. There was also cherokee indian blood probably in the Barnes family who originated in NC. Others have confirmed that. Mildred & Charlotte continued to live in Missouri and William lived there until 1879 when he moved to the Pacific Northwest. Sometimes families are hard to track when census records didn't give female's names (prior to 1850). Let know if I can give you any more info. It's a hard family to track!

Re: BARNES Family have Ruby TRIMBLE -BARNES + more family info

Posted: 6 Jan 2008 12:58AM GMT
Surnames: Barnes, Stewart, Chambers, Trimble
Howdy and thanks for responding,
I have since my posting discovered a tad more than I knew then.
My grandfather, William Edward BARNES first marriage was to my grandmother Hazel Fern STEWART, second marriage was to a Ruby Margaret TRIMBLE. I have copied below info for Ruby and her son Buster's burial location;
Buster Leroy BARNES b.1932 d.10-12-1985 buried in Boone Creek Cemetery, Licking MO.
Ruby Margaret (Trimble maiden name) BARNES b.1913 d.01-27-1994 buried in Boone Creek Cemetery, Licking, MO. **Mother of Buster

I was told that Ruby had her son Buster before her marriage with my grandfather and Buster took on the surname of BARNES. Not that the BARNES aren't already difficult enough to figure out huh?

My grandfather William Edward BARNES parents were;
William Henry BARNES b.05-05-1863 Syracuse, NY d.06-03-1903 in Boonville, MO. Buried Walnut Grove Cemetery, Boonville, MO. He was a cooper by trade.
Spouse was Mary Ann CHAMBERS b.abt 1873 Elston, Cole County, MO. d.abt 1910, Boonville, MO Buried beside her husband (above)
Children of William Henry BARNES and Mary CHAMBERS were;
i.William Edward BARNES b.08-01-1893 St. Louis, MO. d.01-19-1965 St. Louis, MO. buried Mt Hope Cemetery St Louis
ii.George Daniel BARNES b.11-24-1894 Boonville, MO. d.08-25-1968 AR.
iii.Clara Elizabeth BARNES b.06-25-1902 Boonville, MO. d.02-1985

I've been in contact with my newly discovered cousins George Daniel BARNES (above) daughters and neither of them knows anything else to add about their Grandparents, William Henry BARNES and Mary. Other than after the deaths of William Henry and Mary the children were split up. Clara the baby then was raised by Mary's sister.
So, for all these years and probably the rest of mine to come...I'm stopped at this brick wall. Having just that 1900 census from Cooper County, MO showing William Henry BARNES parents both born in IRE, nothing else for comparison.

I wish you much luck with your BARNES searchings and again, thank-you for responding to mine. If there is anything I can do to help you with yours, just ask.
Sincerely,
Debbie

Re: BARNES Family: Ruby Hunott, husband Hayden Barnes.

Posted: 6 Jan 2008 1:05AM GMT
Thank-You for responding to my post
I have since discovered the Ruby that was married to my Grandfather William Edward BARNES was a Ruby Margaret TRIMBLE.
I have copied below the burial location I discovered for Ruby BARNES and her son Buster (she had prior to meeting my grandfather and Buster assumed the BARNES surname)

Buster Leroy BARNES b.1932 d.10-12-1985 buried in Boone Creek Cemetery, Licking MO.
Ruby Margaret (TRIMBLE maiden name) BARNES b.1913 d.01-27-1994 buried in Boone Creek Cemetery, Licking, MO. **Ruby, Mother of Buster

My Grandfather William Edward BARNES is buried in Mt Hope Cemetery, St. Louis, MO
Thanks again
Debbie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic